Interior Apple Park glass is so clear, distracted employees are walking into it

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    Seems to be the new Apple: form over function ߘ馬t;/div>
    Nah.. it's a new selective narrative. I bet if someone talking of their pleasure of working there no reporters would turn their heads but if they heard someone hating it they'd leave everything to write about it.

Don't fall for it. “people familiar with the incidents” is just too easy. Not saying the building doesn't have issue. Any building will have ones, even Frank Lloyd Wright's. But there is narrative to sell and that narrative is Apple is failing. 
    edited February 2018 rotateleftbytewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 75
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Lol, we had to put frosted look wraps on glass doors in our building for the same reason, with so many employees I don't see the perfectly clear look sticking around for safety reasons. 
    Soli
  • Reply 23 of 75
    HOW COULD THEY GO THROUGH WITH SUCH A FLAWED DESIGN?!?! STEVE JOBS WOULD BE ROLLING IN HIS......oh wait.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    matrix077 said:
    Seems to be the new Apple: form over function ߘ馬t;/div>
    Any building will have ones, even Frank Lloyd Wright's.
    FLW houses have far more issues than most buildings. Fallingwater may have fallen into Bear Run without intervention, and the owner nicknamed the house Rising Mildew. (I'm a huge Wright fan for whatever record this counts as.)
    mattinoz
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Since the dawn of glass walls, doors, and barriers, people have walked into them.  Bloomberg realized though that if it happens at Apple, it's a story to milk.  
    lkruppStrangeDaysbb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 75
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    Maybe people should just watch where they're going...
    Ah, there's the snag.  Watch all you like but very clear glass at the right light levels and you don't see it at all. 
    I bet they know it there now LOL. 
    No, you don't, especially if it's a door (especially a sliding glass door) whose threshold you've walked across countless times. Just like the vibration absorbing silicone base of the HomePod that affects certain surfaces, this issue is solvable (*gasp* an Apple fanatic just lost their shit again). Putting up Post-It notes are a makeshift solution but there are attractive options specifically to prevent this exact issue from happening (but those that want to believe Apple can't do any wrong are just going to blame the employee no matter what so it's moot point to even discuss it with them). For everyone else, there are elaborate to simple decals you can place on any surface to keep this from happening. For someone like Apple, a simple, small frosted decal or thin, horizontal line in the eye's path would let the eye know there's an obstruction ahead without having any major affect on the aesthetic.

There's literally no excuse for this as Apple has been using glass for walls for decades and have been dealign with this issue for just as long.

edited February 2018
  • Reply 27 of 75
    It’s a new building that employees just started working in. Might take a bit of getting used to the new floor plans and layouts. Not newsworthy.
    bb-15patchythepirate
  • Reply 28 of 75
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Seems to me this can be fixed with some well-placed IR beams/sensors and some lighting that illuminates the glass when you get too close. It would keep it clean looking, but warn you if you get too close.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 75
    jkichline said:
    Seems to me this can be fixed with some well-placed IR beams/sensors and some lighting that illuminates the glass when you get too close. It would keep it clean looking, but warn you if you get too close.
    That's an interesting idea. Has this been employed elsewhere?
  • Reply 30 of 75
    I would think it just takes an adjustment period for employees to build some muscle memory in this particular case. Many times I've had to make adjustments when I moved house furniture and would bump into things that I had changed the position. I don't think these employees will be bumping into the same glass partitions forever. I'm really surprised at the type of news Apple generates. These are such natural adjustments that certainly don't just apply to Apple. I would be surprised if people were actually paying attention to where they were walking and still bumped into the glass because they really couldn't see it at normal lighting levels. Don't the entrances to cubicles have any outline?

It's appears to me, from this photo that there are two vertical posts at the center that lead into the cubicle. I would think that would be enough info for the eye to catch some cues. I guess it really is the survival of the fittest if Apple employees can't negotiate glass better than birds. However, I don't like the idea of Apple taking down visual cues employees put up merely to maintain some clean design factor. I think safety should be more important than pure design.

I do find it strange how Apple is always being singled out as some company that isn't allowed to make any mistakes in judgment.  No company is perfect because no humans are perfect.  I don't believe every mistake can be caught.  I would have thought the Space Shuttle Program would have been the most trouble-free program ever developed but even so, there were fatal Space Shuttle accidents despite things being double- and triple-checked.  There's just always chance of an error.  On Youtube there are lots of videos about engineering mistakes, so I'm sure Apple isn't the only company that makes these subtle mistakes.  Apple Park is a huge building and some problems are bound to creep in.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 31 of 75
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I hope the people are okay!

The new building is probably still under warranty/AppleCare so the geniuses can repair the cracked glass for $29. 
    king editor the gratetallest skil
  • Reply 32 of 75
    I would think it just takes an adjustment period for employees to build some muscle memory in this particular case. Many times I've had to make adjustments when I moved house furniture and would bump into things that I had changed the position.
    Those are very different situations. And there will always be new employees coming, not to mention current employees moving to new areas.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 33 of 75
    So Apple focused on the appearance of something at the expense of functionality? No way!
  • Reply 34 of 75
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What if Google Glass could solve this issue? 
    markbyrn
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Interesting stuff. I would kill to work there!
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Lawyers no doubt already looking for Apple employees with bloody noses to start a glass action!
    Automatic thread-ender! We have a clear winner!
    fotoformatStrangeDaysmacseekerwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 75
    matrix077 said:

Don't fall for it. “people familiar with the incidents” is just too easy. Not saying the building doesn't have issue. Any building will have ones, even Frank Lloyd Wright's. But there is narrative to sell and that narrative is Apple is failing. 
    Exactly. We'll be seeing reports soon where one person has complained about the quality of the toilet paper in the new building. APPL will fall by $10 on the news.

Mountains out of molehills perhaps?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 75
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    matrix077 said:

Exactly. We'll be seeing reports soon where one person has complained about the quality of the toilet paper in the new building. APPL will fall by $10 on the news.
    Not sure why Appell Petroleum Corp's stock would drop by $10 from this news, especially because it was delisted a long time ago.

:p 
    cecil444macseekerwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 75
    You know that you should not be looking at your mojo/smartphone while walking, right? Switch to reality and watch environment not your electronic friends and messages. There is no problem with glass or any normal obstacles. So do not try to fix reality - adopt proper behaviors.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    MacPro said:
    We Floridians know all about the pain of walking into a glass, it really hurts especially if running.  Come the end of the winter when all the sliding glass doors get shut for the summer and AC there is hardly a year goes by someone doesn't smash straight into one and bounce back.  The solution here is to hang cheesy little dolphins, alligators etc. from suction pads at eye level which when sober are sufficient warning.  Apple might want to opt for a more sophisticated eye catcher such as a hanging Toy Story characters.  ;)
    I liked how you qualified your solution!
    king editor the gratekudu