New 'Close Your Rings' minisite encourages using Apple Watch Activity app

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has created a new website, "Close Your Rings," explaining how the Apple Watch's Activity app works and some of the ways people can reach its "Move," "Exercise," and "Stand" goals.

The site's Move section, for example, provides a brief intro to the concept of active calories, and shows how to change daily goals. It also suggests picking an Activity-themed watchface, or at least adding the appropriate complication.

The health benefits of closing rings are a recurring theme.

"30 minutes of brisk activity every day can help minimize the chance of stroke, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and weight gain," the Exercise section says. "It can also help improve sleep and mood, as well as reduce stress."

Apple also highlights Challenges and Achievements, and the Watch's wheelchair support, which changes Stand to "Roll," and identifies different arm movements when counting Move and Exercise data.

The company has made the Activity app a focus in both internal and external marketing. This year the company held its second annual "Close the Rings" event, encouraging workers to hit certain goals in exchange for rewards -- the top prize being a unique Watch band.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Just visited it and its pretty cool and actually learned a few things about my watch I didn't even know.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 2 of 10
    With my Watch and going low carb, I’m down almost 80lbs over two years. I’ve got a streak of 450 perfect days and ran my first half marathon last November. 

I can’t say the Watch is the only reason, but it has motivated me when nothing else before it did!
    king editor the gratefastasleepwatto_cobrawlymcornchipmavemufclolliver
  • Reply 3 of 10
    For a few months now I've been trying to close all the rings on my Apple Watch each day. Don't always manage to do it but each month I get a bit better at closing them. Since I've been doing this my health has improved.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 4 of 10
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    I’m addicted to closing all three rings daily. Been working out (cardio 30 min, strength 25-30 min) five days a week for the past three years.  Picked up the series 3 in October and now doing variety exercise workouts on the weekends to get to seven days.  Started at 880 Move calories to close when I got the watch, and now at 1010! Best is total calories. I’m now at 3200 per day so I control my eating at 2250-2500 without any diet at all (but obviously no fast or junk foods), and I’ve dropped 10 pounds in 4 months...really dropped, not just water fluctuations, etc.  Slow and sure is my routine.  Hitting 50 in April and feeling like I’m 35 again!  Love this device!
    edited February 2018 cornchipwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    f1ferrari said:
    With my Watch and going low carb, I’m down almost 80lbs over two years. I’ve got a streak of 450 perfect days and ran my first half marathon last November. 

I can’t say the Watch is the only reason, but it has motivated me when nothing else before it did!
    I was coming here to brag about my 12-day perfect run. 

I don’t think I’ll bother. 

Inspiring work though!
    cornchipwatto_cobramavemufclolliver
  • Reply 6 of 10
    My exercise ring on Series 0 is easy to close since I moved from 5S to X cuz I now get credit for climbing 8 flights of stairs a day. Score!
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It's a nicely made website.
    Pity there seems not to be a German version of it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I was interested to see how my body moved during the day at my job. I am a motorcycle postal delivery worker and people don't seem to realise how much the body goes through when riding a motorcycle.

Everyday I'm doing over 2000KJ with I believe my highest being around 5000KJ so it depends on what my day is like. Add to that a 1 year old boy and I get my rings closed pretty well.

I also use Human which records most weekdays as getting over 300 minutes of workout.

Funnily enough the Stand ring is usually the one that closes first and I often record over 14 hours of standing. That's not because it records the riding weird it's because I have to get off the bike so often as well as 2 to 3 hours standing while I sort my mail.

It would have been nice to see what I was doing each day working in IT but I couldn't afford an Apple Watch then.
    lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 10
    f1ferrari said:

Thats what I'm hoping for! Well done, keep it up!
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 10
    csamacsama Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I manage to close my rings, but when I do the neon feature doesn't seem to show. Do you know if that has to do with me having the series 2?