Apple Park now Apple's official corporate address

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple this week changed its official corporate address to One Apple Park Way, continuing the lengthy process of moving an entire workforce from One Infinite Loop to the new Apple Park campus built down the road.

The change was timed to coincide with Apple's recent annual shareholders meeting that took place at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater on Tuesday.

Among the first documents to bear Apple's new One Apple Park Way address were forms filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. On Tuesday, Apple filed seven Form 4 Statement of Changes in Beneficial Ownership articles notifying the SEC of restricted stock units granted to its board members, each of which listed Apple Park as the reporting person's address.

Previously, all Apple SEC filings cited One Infinite Loop as a point of contact.

On Friday, 9to5Mac also noted the change in email footers included with correspondence sent out to customers. AppleInsider has confirmed the shift in a promotional mailer sent to Apple Music subscribers.

While not substantial in the grand scheme of things (Apple has been moving in to Apple Park for months), the address change signals the company is finally settling into its new digs and is ready to call the Cupertino campus home.

Initially referred to as Campus 2, Apple Park was first unveiled by late company co-founder Steve Jobs in 2011. Construction of the massive campus, including its iconic circular "spaceship" building and surrounding environs, has been ongoing for well over four years.

Last February, Apple announced Apple Park as the official name of its new headquarters, estimating that all 12,000 employees would be moved in by year's end. That guess turned out to be a bit optimistic, as workers are still making the migration.

Most recently, Apple last month received temporary occupancy permits covering five of the 12 sections of the main office structure. The company will likely gain permission to fill the remaining areas in the near future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    And thus a new era of Apple is officially here. I was not alive during the garage days, but I have been using Apple computers when they were called Apple (Apple ][e), then on to the original Macintosh, and on and on and on. I believed in the company when they were making Performa's but I believed them even more when Steve Jobs came back, and I continue to believe in them today. How much the company has changed! Here's to another 35 years with the platform!
    Solimatrix077watto_cobracornchipemig647lkruppStrangeDaysmacxpresslostkiwiYvLy
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Despite the fact that nothing earthly is ever infinite, there was something bold and resonant about “1 Infinite Loop”. 

That address will be missed. 
    ronnwatto_cobraJinTechcornchipbonoboblostkiwipscooter63tzm41
  • Reply 3 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wonder if the building is leaving a white ring on the ground underneath.
    iqatedofastasleepwatto_cobraberndogjarredkmwillcropointanantksundarambonoboblibertykrsneilm
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Soli said:
    Pad & Quill will make a coaster for it soon. :)
    watto_cobracornchippaisleydiscoSpamSandwichpscooter63tzm41
  • Reply 5 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Soli said:
    The only white ring is the big zero I give this comment.
    watto_cobracornchipemig647lkruppStrangeDayssuddenly newtontmaybb-15williamlondonCesar Battistini Maziero
  • Reply 6 of 29
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Despite the fact that nothing earthly is ever infinite, there was something bold and resonant about “1 Infinite Loop”. 

How ironic that Apple Park is home to one big infinite loop.
    paisleydiscojarredkmquadra 610anantksundaramStrangeDays2old4funmacxpressbonoboblostkiwimainyehc
  • Reply 7 of 29
    JWSC said:

Brilliant comment. ^^

Perhaps Apple should have called it "Infinite Loop, 1 Apple Park Way, Cupertino, CA 95014". The new address sounds.... so corporate... (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that).
    jony0
  • Reply 8 of 29
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Moving an entire workforce?   I thought lots of people were staying at 1 Infinite Loop and that address isn't going away.   I was under the impression in addition to those people who weren't moving, the freed-up space at 1 Infinite Loop was going to be used to consolidate employees who are currently in various leased buildings around Cupertino and it was those buildings that would eventually be emptied of Apple employees.    I seem to remember reading something about fears of an office space real estate glut in Cupertino once Apple completed this.   

Can anyone here who currently works at Apple confirm as to whether everyone moved out of 1 Infinite Loop and whether that building is still going to be used?  (Seems to me that this wouldn't be a non-disclosure item.)  
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    zoetmb said:
    Moving an entire workforce?   I thought lots of people were staying at 1 Infinite Loop and that address isn't going away.   I was under the impression in addition to those people who weren't moving, the freed-up space at 1 Infinite Loop was going to be used to consolidate employees who are currently in various leased buildings around Cupertino and it was those buildings that would eventually be emptied of Apple employees.    I seem to remember reading something about fears of an office space real estate glut in Cupertino once Apple completed this.   
    I do not work at Apple but I have numerous pals who do.

1 Infinite Loop isn't shutting down. As you theorized, many other employees will be moving into 1 Infinite Loop once the current occupants (mostly iPhone, iPad, Mac, hardware engineers as well as iOS and macOS software engineers). Let's say you work on Apple Maps or iCloud Backup; well, you're not going to Apple Park, but you probably will move into 1 Infinite Loop.

Apple Park has been deemed an engineering campus so 1 Infinite Loop will likely become the home for a bunch of administrative groups: Product Marketing, Finance, Legal, etc.

Some of the satellite Apple campuses will eventually shut down as leases expire. Apple has a number of buildings in neighboring Sunnyvale and eventually those people will move closer to the Infinite Loop/Mariana/Bandley area.

This will likely free up some highly desirable smaller buildings and complexes for smaller companies as Apple has had a stranglehold on Cupertino office space for a number of years.

edited February 2018 bb-15watto_cobrapatchythepiratezoetmbpscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 29
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    The only white ring is the big zero I give this comment.
    1) Yikes! That's a whole lot of butthurt over a joke.

2) Since jokes aren't your thing, you may be pleased to know that they entire foundation of the facility is a giant white (or off-white) ring making it the largest base-isolated building in the world. There are reportedly 700 base isolators (i.e.: vibration-dampening) that are each over 2 meters in diameter and weighing over 6.5 tonnes which allow it to shift "up to 4 and 1/2 feet in any direction."

JWSC said:

Brilliant comment. ^^
    Did you really miss all the times that comment was made for the last 7 years when the plans were first revealed to the city of Cupertino back in 2011?
    edited February 2018 patchythepiratelolliver
  • Reply 11 of 29

mpantone said:
    zoetmb said:
    I do not work at Apple but I have numerous pals who do.

1 Infinite Loop isn't shutting down. As you theorized, many other employees will be moving into 1 Infinite Loop once the current occupants (mostly iPhone, iPad, Mac, hardware engineers as well as iOS and macOS software engineers). Let's say you work on Apple Maps or iCloud Backup; well, you're not going to Apple Park, but you probably will move into 1 Infinite Loop.

Apple Park has been deemed an engineering campus so 1 Infinite Loop will likely become the home for a bunch of administrative groups: Product Marketing, Finance, Legal, etc.

Some of the satellite Apple campuses will eventually shut down as leases expire. Apple has a number of buildings in neighboring Sunnyvale and eventually those people will move closer to the Infinite Loop/Mariana/Bandley area.

This will likely free up some highly desirable smaller buildings and complexes for smaller companies as Apple has had a stranglehold on Cupertino office space for a number of years.
    1) Do you know if the Apple Store at 1 Infinite Loop will be closing down?

2) The employees staying at 1 Infinite Loop have to at least have to be glad that parking will ease up (even if they wish they could move to Apple Park for a change of scenery). Every time I'm there it's a nightmare to park, which countless cars parking in the aisle thruways which just makes maneuvering even more difficult. Seems like an incredibly stressful way to start and end your day. No wonder Jobs parked in the handicapped spot.
    edited February 2018 pscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 29
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Soli said:

1) Do you know if the Apple Store at 1 Infinite Loop will be closing down?

2) The employees staying at 1 Infinite Loop have to at least have to be glad that parking will ease up (even if they wish they could move to Apple Park for a change of scenery). Every time I'm there it's a nightmare to park, which countless cars parking in the aisle thruways which just makes maneuvering even more difficult. Seems like an incredibly stressful way to start and end your day. No wonder Jobs parked in the handicapped spot.
    1) I don't know. I don't care and I didn't bother to ask my buddies.

That said, my guess is that the Apple Store at 1 Infinite Loop will continue to operate for a while but sales volume and foot traffic will be evaluated at a later date to see if the store merits staying open or not. It's not a typical Apple Store retail location; after all, it was formerly the Company Store and wasn't converted to a full blown Apple Store until the bricks-and-mortar operation was firmly entrenched.

2) I assume the parking situation at 1 Infinite Loop will be similar to what it is now. After all, the Infinite Loop campus is expected to be fully occupied after all of the relocations.

I'm also guessing that 1 Infinite Loop will continue to have a fair amount of guest visits (partners, vendors, etc.) since many non-engineering departments will be housed there.
    edited February 2018 zoetmb
  • Reply 13 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    JinTech said:
    And thus a new era of Apple is officially here. I was not alive during the garage days, but I have been using Apple computers when they were called Apple (Apple ][e), then on to the original Macintosh, and on and on and on. I believed in the company when they were making Performa's but I believed them even more when Steve Jobs came back, and I continue to believe in them today. How much the company has changed! Here's to another 35 years with the platform!
    If you are interested - Apple Folklore An awesome resource for ancient Apple tales :smile: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    If Apple continues to preserve Steve Jobs' office suite as he left it, it will always maintain Infinite Loop. Walt Disney's office was temporarily sealed off and inventoried but then was used by other executives for decades, only recently restored to be a semi-public historical exhibit. Jony Ive's lab from the Jobs 2.0 era would be another point of interest.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    It's almost March and not one new product from Apple.
    What the hell is going on? Stop going in circles and do something already!
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 16 of 29
    It's almost March and not one new product from Apple.
    What the hell is going on? Stop going in circles and do something already!
    Right?! It's now been over 8 days since the last new product release. What gives, Apple?!
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29

The circle is also bold and resonant, and embodied in the building itself. The circle is also a more classic (and ancient) symbol of "endlessness" than a computer program's "infinite loop". So, we have an even bolder statement for the future of Apple in the architecture of Apple Park!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Yep.  I was kind of hoping the words 'Space Ship' would feature in there somewhere.  There's a lack of Buzz Lightyear now.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    JWSC said:

Brilliant comment. ^^

Perhaps Apple should have called it "Infinite Loop, 1 Apple Park Way, Cupertino, CA 95014". The new address sounds.... so corporate... (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that).
    Well, at least they didn’t call it Apple Office...  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    What not "One Apple Way" ?
    watto_cobra