Subaru readies 2019 Ascent SUV with Apple CarPlay standard

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Subaru this week announced pricing for its latest SUV, the 2019 Ascent, which will come with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on every trim when it rolls out this summer.

The vehicle will start at $31,995, and by default run CarPlay on a 6.5-inch Starlink display, the automaker said. Three higher trims -- placed between $34,195 and $44,695 -- will upgrade that screen to 8 inches.

Some other tech-related features include multiple USB ports, and LTE/Wi-Fi support on every trim beyond the base configuration.

CarPlay has become increasingly common on new vehicles, though the technology is still often reserved for mid- to high-end models or optional upgrades. BMW is even planning to charge drivers $80 per year as of 2019.

Apple's biggest coup may have come in January, when Toyota revealed it was finally relenting to pressure and planning its first CarPlay support. For years the Japanese business decided to concentrate on its proprietary infotainment platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    When they bring CarPlay to the Forester I’m in
    watto_cobrarattlhedlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 24
    When we say 'CarPlay' is it to assumed that it's wireless? Or do you have to plug it in? :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    It is now at the point that any car manufacturer that does not have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard infotainment features across the range needs to be relentlessly named and shamed.

PS: the Subaru Ascent looks like a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 4 of 24
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    bshank said:
    It’s on the 2018 Outback a smoother driving vehicle. 
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 5 of 24
    rob53 said:
    bshank said:
    Not a fan of the Outback. It’s become the go to car for elderly folks in my area
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    When we say 'CarPlay' is it to assumed that it's wireless? Or do you have to plug it in? :)
    Bad assumption. A recent check I did showed most are still wired. That's fine by me, because doing anything with CarPlay drains the battery pretty quickly anyway. Might as well keep it charged.
    macxpresswatto_cobraStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 7 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    True Mike, but it isn’t an either/or situation, and wireless would be convienient at times.
    in any case, this Subaru has wifi, but the brochure doesn’t come right out and say wireless CarPlay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    entropys said:
    in any case, this Subaru has wifi, but the brochure doesn’t come right out and say wireless CarPlay.
    The Wi-Fi reference more than likely pertains to distributing the internet access coming the onboard LTE connection, not likely for wireless CarPlay.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Wireless CarPlay + wireless charging would be perfect.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 10 of 24
    tzm41 said:
    Wireless CarPlay + wireless charging would be perfect.
    A butt warmer that does wireless CarPlay + wireless charging of the phone in your pocket would be even more perfect here in Canada.  Lol!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    mike1 said:
    Bad assumption. A recent check I did showed most are still wired. That's fine by me, because doing anything with CarPlay drains the battery pretty quickly anyway. Might as well keep it charged.
    Thanks Mike...that's what I thought. Yep, it's nice to charge at the same time. And I do love CarPlay...I really only plugin for longer trips.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    bshank said:
    rob53 said:
    bshank said:
    Not a fan of the Outback. It’s become the go to car for elderly folks in my area
    Hmm.. Well I own a 2011 Outback.  Best car we've owned and I'm far from elderly, nor are several of my friends who own one.  It met all of the criteria I had in 2010: 30+ highway MPG, All wheel drive, 5 star crash rating, back seat leg room that tall adults can enjoy, 2,500 pound minimum tow capacity (the 4 CYL tows 2,800 and I have towed tent trailers, and regularly tow a utility trailer), comfortable, reliable.   In 7.5 years, the only thing I have needed to do apart was to purchase snow tires for added traction on ice.  Subaru is very popular in the Pacific Northwest.  At the slopes, the beach, trailheads, high deserts, backroads, mountain peaks and (sadly) in rush-hour traffic.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    wanderso said:
    bshank said:
    rob53 said:
    bshank said:
    Hmm.. Well I own a 2011 Outback.  Best car we've owned and I'm far from elderly, nor are several of my friends who own one.  It met all of the criteria I had in 2010: 30+ highway MPG, All wheel drive, 5 star crash rating, back seat leg room that tall adults can enjoy, 2,500 pound minimum tow capacity (the 4 CYL tows 2,800 and I have towed tent trailers, and regularly tow a utility trailer), comfortable, reliable.   In 7.5 years, the only thing I have needed to do apart was to purchase snow tires for added traction on ice.  Subaru is very popular in the Pacific Northwest.  At the slopes, the beach, trailheads, high deserts, backroads, mountain peaks and (sadly) in rush-hour traffic.
    Subaru's symmetrical all-wheel drive system alone is worth the price--as good as Audi's Quattro system when it comes to snow covered roads. The CrossTrek is also an excellent model.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    wanderso said:
    bshank said:
    rob53 said:
    bshank said:
    I love the Forester and would readily buy a Cross Trek. Just not the Outback. Not a station wagon designers for senior citizens guy 
  • Reply 15 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    bshank said:
    I'm gonna guess...never. 
  • Reply 16 of 24
    entropys said:
    True Mike, but it isn’t an either/or situation, and wireless would be convienient at times.
    Since there’s already bluetooth for music and siri (including maps audio directions), the remaining big job for CP is in-dash navigation and that’s def a battery drainer. I can see why they haven’t jumped on it.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    2018 Crosstrek I have is wired CarPlay. Music playback will start automatically via Bluetooth if not plugged in — as well as phone/messages using Subaru interface — but the cable is required for the CarPlay interface. 

My only gripes with CarPlay are Apple Maps and Siri. I tried Android Auto when Apple slowed my iPhone 6 to the point it was no longer useable with CarPlay — and the mapping was way easier to use (at least for anything more than the basics) and more accurate in estimating time (as well as alternate routes). The Google Assistant integration was great as well and very fast to respond compared to Siri (which seems to fail quite often, requiring repeat requests — and doesn’t play nice with other non-Apple services). But, I am definitely full into the Apple ecosystem, so ultimately have just ended up using CarPlay (after I upgraded my phone) despite the drawbacks. 

I still have a cheap Android that I actually thought about leaving in my car all the time just for Android Auto, but since my main phone number is on my iPhone, it isn’t really convenient. If I could have the iPhone hooked via Bluetooth and the Android plugged in it would be ideal, but the system doesn’t allow for that.

Back to the Crosstrek—it’s my first Subaru and so far has exceeded my expectations all around. The Eyesight system in particular is really great — especially the adaptive cruise control which can take my from 80MPH to almost a full stop in rush hour traffic -- and then start back up again when traffic moves. I hardly ever have to use the the gas and brake pedals on the highway. 

• Reply 18 of 24
    macxpress said:
    bshank said:
    I'm gonna guess...never. 
    Subaru is incorporating as they bring out the new platforms for each model.  I believe that is 2019 for the next Forrester???
    lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 24
    rob53 said:
    bshank said:
    Ditto on the Forester. I have 2015 and love it. Not enough interior height in Outback station wagon. It’s smoother because it’s a car, not an SUV. 

Also, it’s unconscionable that BMW charges a yearly fee. Apple should cut them off. 
  • Reply 20 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I've liked Subarus since the '70s when they had a hippy counter culture vibe. Their later offerings, Foresters, Outbacks, and such are nice too, but getting a bit soccer mom-ish for my taste. Reguardless, I have a 2005 Prius that's running fine. I figure as long as it's paid for, it's reliable, and I trust it, why trade it in? I expect to get at least ten more years out of it, maybe 15. So I may never see or use CarPlay. Actually I'm waiting until somebody, maybe Apple, maybe somebody using Apple's software, has a true self driving car. Get in and say "Car take me to Tim Horton's." and it just goes. That would be enough to get me to sell my Prius and move on.