Accessory vendors start producing coasters, stands, and bags for Apple's HomePod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
In a similar fashion to Apple's other products, accessory producers have been quick to create products to enhance the user experience of the HomePod just days after launch, with the first to surface including a leather carrying case and a coaster designed to prevent marks left behind by the speaker's silicone base.

Capitalizing on the recent stories concerning the HomePod's white ring issue when it is placed on certain surfaces, iPhone and iPad case producer Pad & Quill has announced it will produce its own solution to the problem. The Leather HomePod Coaster is meant to be placed underneath the HomePod, protecting the table or shelf from the potential marks.

Produced from American full-grain leather, the Leather HomePod Coaster has an ultra soft leather backing with an artisan signature, with the four-inch coaster also featuring marine-grade stitching around the edge. Pad & Quill is offering the Leather HomePod Coaster in a choice of whiskey and chestnut color options for $19.95, with the accessory currently available to pre-order through the firm's website.

Price-conscious HomePod owners may stand to benefit from a quick search of Amazon for similar, but far cheaper, options. One brief search brought up a six-pack of leather drink coasters with a holder from ZHTech for under $14, with the six 3.9-inch coasters allowing those who wish to move the HomePod around more placement options around their home, or simply somewhere to put their drink.

Meres has also come up with a pair of products for keeping the HomePod away from delicate surfaces. The Aluminum Mount Holder is a stand for a desk that holds the HomePod loosely in a ring, preventing it from being tipped on its side while keeping it up and away from potential spillages.

The floor of the Aluminum Mount Holder has slots intended to prevent heat buildup around the base of the HomePod, and uses a soft rubber mat to minimize any vibrations from transferring to the stand and affecting the sound quality. The stand itself is produced from 3 millimeter-thick aluminum alloy for the ring and base plate, with an aluminum post on each corner used to fasten the ring and the stand's protective feet.

Using a similar construction, the Aluminum Wall Mount performs the same task as the freestanding version, but is meant to be attached to a wall. It has a similar slotted and rubber-protected base, but the design instead has the ring attached to two posts hidden behind the HomePod to the rear, near to the bracket used to mount the assembly to a surface.

Meres is selling the Aluminum Mount Holder for $39.90 on Amazon, while the Aluminum Wall Mount is currently sold for $42.50.

For those who want to take the HomePod around with them, Amazon seller Capra Leather has one possible solution. The Brown Leather HomePod Travel Case is a handmade item that encases the HomePod in a full grain leather casing, complete with a carrying handle at the top and an angled zipper.

The inside of the case is covered with soft suede, while the base of the bag is padded to cushion the HomePod when the case is placed down. At the back is a slot for the power cable to feed through, and an elasticated band above can be used to hold the rolled-up cable out of the way during transit.

Capra Leather is currently offering the Leather HomePod Travel Case for $105, with the option to add engraved initials to the bag for an extra $10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I will be first in line for the first company that produces the 3 foot or so stands Apple showed they used in their testing as long as there is a way to prevent tipping and to secure HP to stand.
    peterhartstanhopejahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Apple: terrible for your furniture, great for third-party vendors.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Flexson make  reasonable looking stands for Sonos. There is a bracket fixing bolt hole in the back of the Sonos 1 speaker. This idea would not work for  HomePod so the bracket would need to be fixed to the base instead. The two examples in the article don’t look very attractive. What does the base of the HomePod look like? Is it designed like Sonos to take a fixing? 
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Battery pack?
    jahblade
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Battery pack?
    The power adapter is built into the HomePod, with only the 110/220v AC cord leaving the device, and it's attached permanently! The HomePod likely requires a good amount of juice to work properly for a reasonable amount of time, so that would need to be one hefty battery pack!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Wall mounted? Nothing like killing the sound quality or showing off the cord going down the wall. These kind of speakers are made to be out in the open.
    cornchipstanhopewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I only buy accessories for my Apple Products. Other company's products do not deserve the extra spending.
    jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I’m about to release a HomePod pot that is suspended by three chains and is mounted in place of the chandelier. The force of the air expelled by the speakers makes the HomePod swing like a pendulum. The louder the sound, the higher the swing amplitude. It will be available on Amazon for $149. Music played via the HomePod will knock you off your feet. Literally. 
    edited February 2018 cgWerksquadra 610jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Pad & Quill coaster is tempting. :)
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    As Billy Joel once sang, "I love you just the way you are".
    But I bought the Pad & Quill coaster just in case.

edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    This is almost unbelievable. Apple never set one of these things on a wooden surface for more than a few minutes? What kind of testing do they do?
    Battery pack?
    You can buy one at most any office supply store or tech outlet... just search for 'UPS'. They come in assorted sizes, and shapes, ranging from units that will power your HomePod from minutes to days at a time. They are a bit awkward to carry around with you though, and do be careful by the pool!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Leather carrying case for homePod looks good. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Wall mounted? Nothing like killing the sound quality or showing off the cord going down the wall. These kind of speakers are made to be out in the open.
    Cables can easily be hidden within walls, just like wall mounted TVs and soundbars etc. Only snag I see is the homepod's fixed power cable connection if you ever wanted to move it - nothing a pair of snips and suitably nice-looking connector wouldn't fix tho. 

Why would it kill the sound quality?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    🤷🏽‍♂️😂
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Redmond Pie has noted the fact that the Sonos One speaker has the same exact issue.  Now imagine if the Homepod had never come out; you can be sure that the Sonos One 'staining' would barely get any attention much less fake outrage and media frothing at the mouth.  So if you got a Sonos One, you'll need the same coaster.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    adm1 said:
    Cables can easily be hidden within walls, just like wall mounted TVs and soundbars etc. Only snag I see is the homepod's fixed power cable connection if you ever wanted to move it - nothing a pair of snips and suitably nice-looking connector wouldn't fix tho. 

Wall mounted or in wall speakers are not for me. Speaker placement is a big deal for some of us especially if it's just the one HomePod we buy. Unfortunately, I live in Canada so it'll be awhile to try one out.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    adm1 said:

Maybe it wouldn't too much, assuming their advertised tech works (which remains to be seen, and is looking a bit doubtful), just hope you never have a house fire related to that if you want insurance to cover it. You're technically suppose to use different wiring and boxes when you run through walls like that, so the fixed power cord could be an issue. I saw a video of being able to pull it off, though, so maybe with conduit or something.

markbyrn said:
    Redmond Pie has noted the fact that the Sonos One speaker has the same exact issue.  Now imagine if the Homepod had never come out; you can be sure that the Sonos One 'staining' would barely get any attention much less fake outrage and media frothing at the mouth.  So if you got a Sonos One, you'll need the same coaster.
    True, but they also don't get much coverage/attention at all, positive or negative. I remember when Apple could hardly get a mention in the press (especially positive). They are just the current media darling, which has +/-. (Just like Microsoft was 20 years ago.)
  • Reply 18 of 19
    You can run power in the wall on certain circumstances. One you cannot have a power block hidden in the wall cavity. Two there has to be a disconnect on the external portion of that power cable. If the power block is in the wall it can be disconnected in the event of a fire or surge

• Reply 19 of 19
    Jasonx911 said:
    You can run power in the wall on certain circumstances. One you cannot have a power block hidden in the wall cavity. Two there has to be a disconnect on the external portion of that power cable. If the power block is in the wall it can be disconnected in the event of a fire or surge
    I would check the building codes in the particular area before doing anything like this, though.