Growing glass crack appears at Michigan Ave. Apple store in Chicago

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JFC_PA said:
    No doubt under warranty so the manufacturer is making and shipping a new pane. That’s from Europe iirc. 
    I believe the curved panels used for the main building at Apple Park are made in Germany, but I don't recall reading about that for these relatively small and, what appear to be, flat pieces of glass. I'd think they could be by many manufacturers in the US, possibly even close to this store's location.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    smalm said:
    The damage is unlikely to affect the structural integrity of the building, but could pose a safety hazard to shoppers or passersby if the glass shatters.
    That's laminated glass. In all likelihood it will not shatter.
    But it's interesting that it cracked at all. The roof seems to apply an uneven load to the glass sheets.
    If true it won't help to just exchange the glass, the next one would crack as well...
    That panel also could have been defective from the factory or damaged during shipping or installation.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    bb-15 said:
    It is Apple's fate to be held to a different standard compared with other tech companies and in this case other retail store companies. 
    Around the US and the world some shopping malls have structural problems. Some are in the process of being closed down with buildings / store fronts in disrepair.
    During harsh winters the problem of falling ice is common with buildings in cities which experience such cold weather.

It's interesting how there is a vast audience for architecture news with stories which trash Apple for window cracks and the potential for falling ice.  
    Better stop paying heavily to the execs and all fancy designs and hire some working hand to fix the software issues seeping in literally all the products. Siri to begin with.
    feels pain to see the poor quality work on the company which has been built with love and hard work.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    DAalseth said:
    The first person to call this "Glassgate" is gonna get a swift kick in the...er...glass.
    Technically speaking aren't you the first person to do so?
    gatorguyDAalseth
  • Reply 25 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I would assume that this cannot be repaired on site. I am also confident that these panels are 100% custom and not in stock at Lowes. Probably just lead time to get replacement panel in and then pane properly replaced...thoughts?
    Add to that it is February in Chicago. I suspect they wouldn't want to have one of the major panels missing for a day from their Chicago store this time of year. As long as it isn't a critical issue I can see them waiting until warmer weather.
    ronn
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Well all buildings will crack with age and setteling. This is not new. Perhaps Apple sees the crack as no big deal or can not afford to fix the window in that store.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 27 of 34
    bb-15 said:
    It is Apple's fate to be held to a different standard compared with other tech companies and in this case other retail store companies.
    If they’re going to hold themselves to different standards of architectural design, they should obviously expect to have different standards (levels, rather) of problems therewith. That’s how (actual) progress works!
  • Reply 28 of 34
    It is well known that all companies have there own standards for things even technology companies. I’m sure Apples standards are no different.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Atomic77 said:
    Perhaps Apple sees the crack as no big deal or can not afford to fix the window in that store.
    Nearly choked on my dinner while reading this!  While Apple can quite literally afford ANYTHING, I'll agree with your sentiment that they may see it as unimportant... Apple doesn't like to fix broken glass.  :)

berndog
  • Reply 30 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Just like a car windshield that gets the tiniest of rock chips, the harsh winter cold in Chicago probably caused a micro-chip/crack that I'll bet occurred during the installation of that sheet of glass to contract/expand too quickly, resulting in the crack that's there now.

Just like the HomePod silicone base creating a ring on furniture, this is a non-issue being brought up by people that have way too much time on their hands.  It'll get replaced, life moves on.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I walk my dog by the new Apple Store. This crack has been there at least two weeks, if not three. I hate to say it, but the property and building doesn't seem to be handling a relatively mild Chicago winter very well. I hate to see what happens during a harsh winter season.
    You can say that again!
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Duct tape can fix that right up.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    sandor said:
    but laminated glass can still fragment & fall.
    a 5 pound V of glass can cause a lot of arterial damage from 8 feet up.
    No, will not happen.
    Such big pieces of glass will stick to the interlayer. Only small pieces on the outside of the glass sheet with no contact to the interlayer are able to burst off.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Considering the winter we have been having almost anything could have caused the crack. I’m sure it will be taken care of eventually.