Apple issues third beta releases for iOS 11.3, macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, tvOS 11.3

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2018
Apple has updated three OS beta releases, with third revisions of the High Sierra 10.13.4, iOS 11.3, and tvOS 11.3 now available for developer testing.

Apple pre-announced the iOS 11.3 initial release the morning before it arrived. As heralded, it includes new features like Health Records and new Animoji. The initial implementation of the battery health feature arrived with the second iOS 11.3 beta, with enhanced notifications supplied to users if a phone is being throttled because of a worn battery.

The February 6 release of iOS had build 15E5178f, and the new one sports build number 15E5189f.

The new High Sierra 10.13.4 now incorporates Messages in iCloud, a feature that synchronizes a user's Messages "stack" between multiple devices logged in to the same iCloud account, and has assorted eGPU improvements.

High Sierra 10.13.4 is also the first one to warn users that they are running 32-bit apps. Apple has previously stated that High Sierra is the last Mac operating system that will run the older apps "without compromise."

The second High Sierra 10.13.4 beta changed the name of the iBooks app to "Books." It appears to be mirroring the rebranding, and potential re-design, of the app on iOS, but a timetable for changes beyond just the name aren't clear.

The previous High Sierra beta was build number 17E150g after a minor update a few days after the initial second beta release, with the latest having number 17E160e.

Apple's tvOS 11.3 beta introduced AirPlay 2 to the set-top box. Other improvements include adds some device management rating-based content filtering, and addition of improved content matching and automatic mode switching to the fourth generation Apple TV that were first implemented on the Apple TV 4K.

The current version of tvOS 11.3 has build number 15L5186e, incremented from previous build 15L5175d.

The watchOS 4.3 beta has not been updated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    32-Bit Apps, such as their DVD Player? ;)
    ok, I don’t know when last time I used it. 

No public beta of 10.3.4 yet I suppose?

edit: elsewhere I read that going forward HomeKit does not require accessories to have a chip for security anymore, but that software would suffice. I understand where they come from - reduce costs for third parties - and cross  fingers that this will not lead to a lesser degree of security. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Been on the 11.3 beta since the public release and didn't even know we had new Animojis till i read this article, hardly ever use them tbh.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mavemufc said:
    Been on the 11.3 beta since the public release and didn't even know we had new Animojis till i read this article, hardly ever use them tbh.
    Yeah, well, I don’t think Apple would be pursuing these if they weren’t popular with iOS users. Could it be that you and others who don’t use them might be the outliers.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Looks like The Verge article last September about Atmos being on the roadmap ("according to Apple") was perhaps unfounded...no hint of it coming after 5 or 6 months, and no technical reason why it shouldn't be there. I guess Apple is either not interested supporting Atmos (or DTS:X),  or saving that for the next ATV HW revision.

• Reply 5 of 11
    Looks like AirPlay 2 might not make it for iOS 11.3 release.  Sucks if you just purchased a HomePod

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/20/airplay-2-removed-11-3-beta/
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Or wait a week or two.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    thrang said:
    Looks like The Verge article last September about Atmos being on the roadmap ("according to Apple") was perhaps unfounded...no hint of it coming after 5 or 6 months, and no technical reason why it shouldn't be there. I guess Apple is either not interested supporting Atmos (or DTS:X),  or saving that for the next ATV HW revision.

We've been told the same, from sources independent from The Verge's. 

Who knows. Apple has implemented a lot of things over the years, only to not actually deploy them.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    thrang said:

We've been told the same, from sources independent from The Verge's. 

Who knows. Apple has implemented a lot of things over the years, only to not actually deploy them.
    Its funny, when you search for ATV Atmos, all articles seems to wind there way back to the orignial Verge article. That why I reference it.

Anyway, this is a competitive spec they do need to add...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Is there any sign of APFS for spinning platters or did Apple give up on it?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    thewb said:
    For boot drives? No. You can still format a data drive with APFS, though.

I don't think there's any real gain to be had on platters with APFS.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    thewb said:
    For boot drives? No. You can still format a data drive with APFS, though.

I don't think there's any real gain to be had on platters with APFS.

If its only advantage is that it's not HFS+ then that is still an advantage, and a big one at that.