iDevices debuts HomeKit-compatible Instant Switch wireless wall switch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    matrix077 said:
    I bet if it doesn’t have one it wouldn’t be sold on Amazon.
    That's a plus point to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    fallenjt said:
    I'd skip all smart switches and go straight for the Philips Hue bulbs. No wiring required.
    But you still have a wireless switch. And that needs to go somewhere, you probably like switches on the wall. I certainly do.

If you put switches on the wall, how they look/integrate with existing switches is a consideration.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    fallenjt said:
    I'd skip all smart switches and go straight for the Philips Hue bulbs. No wiring required.
    I'd skip all "smart bulbs" on principle - bulbs are disposable items.  And while they might make some limited sense in cases where there's a single ceiling light, it would be utterly ridiculous to do so in common scenarios where you have multiple lights driven by a single switch.  E.g. I have 9 recessed lights in my living room - how much would Philips Hue bulbs cost me?  On amazon, a 4-pack runs $50 - so more than $100.  The Lutron Caseta is $50 and won't burn out.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    tzm41 said:
    Sorry, nowhere on the product page does it say it is HomeKit compatible. Might want to double check and correct this article.
    And I don't believe it is, no HomeKit control of it AFAIK, but whatever...
    I'm confused. Why would these remote switches specifically have to have HomeKit if they are only meant to easily and conveniently control their already HomeKit compatible devices?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tjwolf said:
    fallenjt said:
    I'd skip all "smart bulbs" on principle - bulbs are disposable items.  And while they might make some limited sense in cases where there's a single ceiling light, it would be utterly ridiculous to do so in common scenarios where you have multiple lights driven by a single switch.  E.g. I have 9 recessed lights in my living room - how much would Philips Hue bulbs cost me?  On amazon, a 4-pack runs $50 - so more than $100.  The Lutron Caseta is $50 and won't burn out.
    Yeah I agree. I've tried to convince myself that it's a worthwhile expenditure, and still keep an eye on prices. But since as you point out they there are a disposable item it really doesn't make sense. Switches on the other hand...
  • Reply 26 of 31
    tzm41 said:
    Sorry, nowhere on the product page does it say it is HomeKit compatible. Might want to double check and correct this article.
    This is a duplicate post that I mistakenly replied to another user. Why would these remote switches specifically have to have HomeKit if they are only meant to easily and conveniently control their already HomeKit compatible devices? It uses Bluetooth to pair with other iDevices for easy remote control.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    tjwolf said:
    fallenjt said:
    Lutron Caseta switches require a bridge tho. I don’t have much room or desire for a bulky, hot bridge from every manufacturer...a switch with native HK support has more value to me. 
  • Reply 29 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tjwolf said:
    fallenjt said:
    Lutron Caseta switches require a bridge tho. I don’t have much room or desire for a bulky, hot bridge from every manufacturer...a switch with native HK support has more value to me. 
    I'll guess you already looked at the Wemo switches and didn't see anything you want. Those don't require a bridge, works directly with "assistants" like Home and Alexa, and Siri support was recently added. Those are what I've been using. 

EDIT: Nevermind. For whatever reason using Wemo switches with HomeKit requires the Belkin Bridge. 
    https://www.cnet.com/news/belkin-wemo-apple-homekit-bridge-arrives-at-ces-2018/
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 30 of 31
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    tjwolf said:
    fallenjt said:
    Yeah, proliferation of bridges/hubs are definitely a drag.  But they're pretty small and don't generate much heat, so I hide them in the cabinet beneath the TV where my router is also located.  I have one with which I couldn't do that - my Blink cameras - because of range issues, since some of them are outside the house.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    mistergsf said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzm41 said:
    And I don't believe it is, no HomeKit control of it AFAIK, but whatever...
    I'm confused. Why would these remote switches specifically have to have HomeKit if they are only meant to easily and conveniently control their already HomeKit compatible devices?

If the switches are truly Homekit compatible then they'll appear in Apple's Home app and you can use them to control any Homekit devices regardless of brand, not limited to devices from the same brand. I've barely scratched the surface of Homekit automation in my home and yet I already have devices from three different brands.

If the switches can only control devices of the same brand that happen to be Homekit compatible, then that doesn't make the switches Homekit compatible by association.