Swype add-on keyboard discontinued, pulled from iOS App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Hate to ask, but how would Apple know if I am entering a password/credit card data or some message that does not contain any of that?
    Apple did allow third party keyboards, so I am not sure where did you get that stuff from, that they do not let 3rd party apps "enter" that info, especially considering the fact that a keyboard is there to ENTER information.
    I may be wrong but it seems as though you do not use third party keyboards otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. And if you are not using third party keyboards then you shouldn't be making up quotes such as the one you made earlier. However, if you are using third party keyboards and have experienced what you stated then i apologize.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    dinkydogs said:
    Hate to ask, but how would Apple know if I am entering a password/credit card data or some message that does not contain any of that?
    Apple did allow third party keyboards, so I am not sure where did you get that stuff from, that they do not let 3rd party apps "enter" that info, especially considering the fact that a keyboard is there to ENTER information.
    I may be wrong but it seems as though you do not use third party keyboards otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. And if you are not using third party keyboards then you shouldn't be making up quotes such as the one you made earlier. However, if you are using third party keyboards and have experienced what you stated then i apologize.
    What does it have to do with me using or not using a third party keyboard? How does “me using/not using it” changes the functionality of the keyboard that is already out there?
    What would you think the algorithm for the said keyboard should be? How would iOS know if you are going to enter a password now, so it could prevent (per your words) a third party keyboard from obtaining that password?

you do not have to experience cancer to know that it is deadly, most of the time, therefore an argument from personal experiences is not the best one to make, in this case. 
  • Reply 23 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    dinkydogs said:
    What does it have to do with me using or not using a third party keyboard? How does “me using/not using it” changes the functionality of the keyboard that is already out there?
    What would you think the algorithm for the said keyboard should be? How would iOS know if you are going to enter a password now, so it could prevent (per your words) a third party keyboard from obtaining that password?

you do not have to experience cancer to know that it is deadly, most of the time, therefore an argument from personal experiences is not the best one to make, in this case. 
    He's right. When using a 3rd party keyboard on your iPhone and it comes time to enter a password your Apple keyboard will automatically open, take the password entry, then kick you back to your 3rd party one. So how does the keyboard know the difference? Your iPhone recognizes a password field. Pretty simple. That's why he suggested you'd not used one yourself.
    edited February 2018 dysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 35
    lkrupp said:
    I remember well the incessant blathering about alternate keyboards by trolls and those never, EVER satisfied with what Apple does. The castigating was intense because Apple wouldn’t allow Swype on iOS. And now it’s gone.

Can’t wait for the sadness and fawning praise for a now defunct product that was once the “reason” people weren’t going to buy iPhones. Apple,  always doomed.
    There are still other keyboards out there but I suspect the reason that Swype is disappearing is that Google's default keyboard now include swipe typing. Have you ever tried it? Give SwiftKey a go for a few days, it really is amazingly fast and intuitive. I use it with two languages, mixed throughout sentences, and it can still work out which word I'm swiping - often when I'm not totally sure how to spell the word myself.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    gatorguy said:
    dinkydogs said:

He's right. When using a 3rd party keyboard on your iPhone and it comes time to enter a password your Apple keyboard will automatically open, take the password entry, then kick you back to your 3rd party one. So how does the keyboard know the difference? Your iPhone recognizes a password field. Pretty simple. That's why he suggested you'd not used one yourself.
    "Your iPhone recognizes a password field. Pretty simple."

That is not simple, and it does not work 100% of the time. It is based on the field property, which is there because a DEVELOPER of that website put it there.
    Translation - that safety interlock works only WHEN a developer (that Apple did not vet, since it was a web developer for a web site) codes that field as containing sensitive data. That does not work 100% of the time for obvious reasons. That is why I was asking about how Apple would know about when it is time to input a password - and the answer to that is - there is no way to know that 100% of the time...which means, that SOMETIMES your passwords might leak. Nice!

I guess, I don't know anything since I do not use that keyboard (=I am not dumb enough to trust an unnamed developer with vague goals), therefore you can invalidate my opinion.
    SMFH.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 26 of 35
    lkrupp said:
    I remember well the incessant blathering about alternate keyboards by trolls and those never, EVER satisfied with what Apple does. The castigating was intense becuse Apple wouldn’t allow Swype on iOS. And now it’s gone.

Can’t wait for the sadness and fawning praise for a now defunct product that was once the “reason” people weren’t going to buy iPhones. Apple,  always doomed.
    Why Apple keyboard still does not have swiping gesture to write.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    It was a great keyboard but Google’s Gboard did the same thing. 
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Boo....
    Guess it's time to find a new keyboard :(
  • Reply 29 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Circa 2007: Apple sucks because they don't have a permanent, physical keyboard on their shitty excuse for a smartphone.
    Circa 2011: Apple sucks because they don't have a way to have unlimited keyboard options from unknown 3rd-parties.
    Circa 2018: ???

anton zuykov
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I've known about Swype since before it even appeared on iOS but never bothered to install it once it became available. My wife found out about SwiftKey a couple months ago from a friend and tried it. She is now using SwiftKey exclusively. I installed it as well and find out useful at times. My wife is not a techie by any stretch of imagination. Normal people use third party keyboards in larger numbers than one can imagine. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 31 of 35
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Soli said:
    maestro64 said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    I remember well the incessant blathering about alternate keyboards by trolls and those never, EVER satisfied with what Apple does. The castigating was intense because Apple wouldn’t allow Swype on iOS. And now it’s gone.

I'm glad Apple finally created a "secure" method for these people to add 3rd-party keyboards if mostly just to show that they're mostly unused and have security risks that Apple can't stop if your special keyboard needs network access and you willingly choose to allow eery keystroke you make to be sent to some random developer's servers.
    I'm glad Apple thought about security down to the keyboard level, but it can be frustrating at times of Apple knows you are about to enter UID or password they force you to use the default Apple keyboard.  I use 1 password on my phone and it will not let me search in the appl with the Swype keyboard, it seams to know it's a secure app. This is pain at time since I automatically just start to Swype.
    They have APIs that allow apps to securely access your password manager, but no Apple apps use it and so few 3rd-party apps use it.

Q: Do you do this so 1P is always available in mobile Safari?

Most time I am looking up login information on my phone so I can log into the website on another computer which I do not have 1Password installed. There I go directly into the app and search for what I need and swype is disabled in the app, swype is disable in all financial apps on my phone, like, Chase, Wells Fargo and Quicken. As I said I am glad Apple is blocking the ability of 3rd part keyboard from accessing those apps and possibly acting as a keystroke recorder. But this make it harder switch between the two types of entry methods and screw me up all the time. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 32 of 35
    maestro64 said:
    "All the necessary information, including your passwords and credit cards had been successfully collected, thank you very much. Support for the app has been pulled, as we see no further interest in supporting this app. Thank you for your cooperation. We are going to focus out attention (cough) elsewhere". -Nuance

And THAT is why, ladies and gentlemen, you should NOT be using third-party keyboards.
    Hate to tell you Apple does not allow 3rd party apps to enter that kind of information. It forces you to use their keyboard. Now I wonder if that is true on other platforms.

I am can say you can not fix stupid, if you put sensitive information into a messaging app and send it to someone else, you get what is coming to you.

To you questions, how do I know they do not allow access, try any financial app which required a UID and PW, iOS force the to use the apple keyboard I have plenty of apps which do this and they will not even allow me to see the 3rd part keyboards I have installed when I am on the login window. Also log into most websites in safari, it too push you to the apple keyboard. Now if some app or website is not using the appropriate security API,s then all bets are off, but you have to ask do you want to trust those apps or website.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    gatorguy said:
    dinkydogs said:

"Your iPhone recognizes a password field. Pretty simple."

That is not simple, and it does not work 100% of the time. It is based on the field property, which is there because a DEVELOPER of that website put it there.
    Translation - that safety interlock works only WHEN a developer (that Apple did not vet, since it was a web developer for a web site) codes that field as containing sensitive data. That does not work 100% of the time for obvious reasons. That is why I was asking about how Apple would know about when it is time to input a password - and the answer to that is - there is no way to know that 100% of the time...which means, that SOMETIMES your passwords might leak. Nice!

I guess, I don't know anything since I do not use that keyboard (=I am not dumb enough to trust an unnamed developer with vague goals), therefore you can invalidate my opinion.
    SMFH.

Actually the point most were making was the assumption that you made that the rest of us did not know what we were talking about. Just because you were not aware of something does not mean the rest of us did not understand how the technology works.

Yes you are correct it comes down to the whether the app developer implement correctly. However, my statement was base on my personal experience and an understanding of Apple security focus, and it is not as simple as recognizing the password field, in same case I have seen the 3rd part keyboard total disable while in the App like 1password, so there must the a flag set in an API which disable 3rd part keyboards. In my case I am observant enough to notice these things and if I am on a login, or CC information entry field, and the apple keyboard does not show up, i know something is not right.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Swype had several features that I miss on other alternate keyboards - shortcuts for punctuation, long-press special characters, and the ability to edit your personal dictionary. The iOS version was always half-baked compared to the Android version, but it really was a prerequisite for me switching back to an iPhone after spending time in the Android wilderness.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    surabhianandsurabhianand Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    There are many third party keyboards readily available. Swype is not the only one which is available, not even the only swipe style keyboard and it is also a swipe style keyboard. I think it made something like swype even less useful