Apple adds 22 more banks to list of institutions supporting Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple continues its expansion of financial insitutions that will process Apple Pay transactions, with the latest additions bringing 22 more to the table.

The additions, added on Tuesday are the Bayer Heritage Federal Credit Union, Central Sunbelt Federal Credit Union, Cornerstone Community Financial Credit Union, First National Bank in Fairfield, First National Bank of Muscatine, First Southwest Bank, Franklin-Somerset Federal Credit Union, Gas & Electric Credit Union, Houston Highway Credit Union, Lincoln Maine Federal Credit Union, Linn-Co Federal Credit Union, MED5 Federal Credit Union, On Tap Credit Union, Pennsville National Bank, Salisbury Bank and Trust, School Systems FCU, Shelby Savings Bank, Shoreline Credit Union, Taunton Federal Credit Union. The Colorado Bank & Trust Company of La Junta. Triad Bank, and UNO FCU

Apple's contactless payment service added 26 banks and credit unions on Feb. 7. Earlier in the month during the quarterly results conference call, Apple CEO Tim Cook declared that Apple Pay would expand into Brazilexpand into Brazil later in 2018.

Apple also notes that Apple Pay is accepted in half of the stores in the United States, according to Apple Pay Vice President Jennifer Bailey

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    ...and the hits just keep on comin'
    Go Apple Go!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    It's not the Banks- it is the lack of Merchant embrace which is keeping this thing from soaring in utilization.  Invest a couple Million & give the reader away so it catches on.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    crabby said:
    It's not the Banks- it is the lack of Merchant embrace which is keeping this thing from soaring in utilization.  Invest a couple Million & give the reader away so it catches on.
    Hardware is not the issue. It’s the larger chains purposely deciding not to accept these payments. 
    lostkiwiwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 4 of 21
    And yet still Westpac, Commonweath and National Bank in Australia continue to lock out their customers from this service to protect profits, not in the interest of the customers but their shareholders. Let’s hope the current banking commission picks this up because it continues to be an utter disgrace. 

if ApplePay wasn’t good for customers then why has it been so wholeheartedly embraced by other banking institutions globally.

They are are quite literally bankers with a capital W!
    edited February 2018 Rayz2016lostkiwiwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 5 of 21
    mike1 said:
    crabby said:
    Hardware is not the issue. It’s the larger chains purposely deciding not to accept these payments. 
    That and lack of awareness.  I can’t even tell you how many small places I’ve found that accept it and the people running the register are amazed to see it work because they didn’t know it existed.  Then they say something like, “I wonder if I can do that with my phone.” as they pull out an iPhone 6s. Then I explain it will work but they need to set up Apple Pay first and so on and so forth.  If people have phones that are capable of contactless payments but don’t even know it then there is little reason for retailers to be updating their hardware and promoting it.
    watto_cobracrabbyjony0
  • Reply 6 of 21
    mike1 said:
    crabby said:
    I agree.
    Walmart's stock went down 10% today.  Let them keep choosing not to accept Electronic Payments like Apple Pay.

Walgreens Pharmacy accepts Apple Pay, CVS does not.   I use Walgreens,  Toys & Babies R Us, Macys etc...
    Apple should promote the stores that accept Apple Pay.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mike1 said:
    crabby said:
    That and lack of awareness.  I can’t even tell you how many small places I’ve found that accept it and the people running the register are amazed to see it work because they didn’t know it existed.  Then they say something like, “I wonder if I can do that with my phone.” as they pull out an iPhone 6s. Then I explain it will work but they need to set up Apple Pay first and so on and so forth.  If people have phones that are capable of contactless payments but don’t even know it then there is little reason for retailers to be updating their hardware and promoting it.
    I went to my cleaners today to pick up my order and asked the girl if they accepted Apple Pay. "Huh? What's Apple Pay?" Not surprising.

But then I looked her terminal and noticed the "Veriphone" logo and then noticed the small lights in a row above the display. That usually means the terminal takes contactless cards and devices. Sometimes they have to know what to do on their end to set up  such a transaction, but it's worked more often than not for me.

I use my Apple Watch far more often than my iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mike1 said:
    crabby said:
    I went to my cleaners today to pick up my order and asked the girl if they accepted Apple Pay. "Huh? What's Apple Pay?" Not surprising.

But then I looked her terminal and noticed the "Veriphone" logo and then noticed the small lights in a row above the display. That usually means the terminal takes contactless cards and devices. Sometimes they have to know what to do on their end to set up  such a transaction, but it's worked more often than not for me.

I use my Apple Watch far more often than my iPhone.
    It really isn't surprising.  Most employees probably don't get told about this.  The only way I know is when there is an ApplePay symbol on the display or a sticker on the unit.
    Apple need to work with the terminal suppliers to get the service clearly visible. 
    watto_cobracrabby
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mike1 said:
    crabby said:
    This is exactly right. Walk into a village craft shop, pick something up, and then pay for it using your Apple Watch. The look you get is something to behold. Then you get into a conversation that starts with the watch, then goes to the phone, then to Near Field Communication, and finally beekeeping. 
    lostkiwiwatto_cobratokyojimujony0
  • Reply 10 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    crabby said:
    Ignoring all the reasons certain merchants aren't adopting any of the *Pay systems or that many have multi-thousand dollar Win-based PoS systems with built-in card swipes but no built-in NFC readers that will not get the tech until they get updated, how many merchants do you think need these NFC-capable readers and how much do you think they cost? Multiply those two numbers and tell me how much it would cost Apple. Do you think that number even comes close to what I assume is "a couple million" dollars since you used the word invest, and how many ApplePay transactions would that take and how long would that take before Apple would break even on their investment?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    I'll post this again…

If you want to see great ApplePay adoption and you know there are a multitude of mom and pop shops that accept ApplePay that you frequent then go ahead and give them a decal or two they can put on their register and window/door with their other digital payment decals. Apple gives them away upon request and the booklet comes with many decals.

ihatescreennamescrabbylolliver
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Time for celebration- Costco now accepts Apple Pay !   Use it this past week when noticing the new symbol.  Par for the course,  the checker didn't know anything about it, but it worked super fast.  Another employee told me that Costco was rolling it out slowly.
    Soli
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Notsofast said:
    Time for celebration- Costco now accepts Apple Pay !   Use it this past week when noticing the new symbol.  Par for the course,  the checker didn't know anything about it, but it worked super fast.  Another employee told me that Costco was rolling it out slowly.

What happens if you use ApplePay with a credit card selected? Does the reader know the difference?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Rayz2016 said:
    Notsofast said:
    What happens if you use ApplePay with a credit card selected? Does the reader know the difference?
    As opposed to a debit card? So long as it’s a Visa it will be accepted. If not, then it will be denied and you’ll have to accept a different card.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Notsofast said:
    If you don’t mind, where was this? I live in Western Massachusetts and go to two Costcos (one in MA and the other in CT) but neither has accepted contactless payments recently.  I probably haven’t been in about a month so things certainly could have changed.
  • Reply 16 of 21

Soli said:
    I'll post this again…

If you want to see great ApplePay adoption and you know there are a multitude of mom and pop shops that accept ApplePay that you frequent then go ahead and give them a decal or two they can put on their register and window/door with their other digital payment decals. Apple gives them away upon request and the booklet comes with many decals.

Thanks for continuing to post this.  I have been doing that as well, but I’ve also found that I have to be sure to give the decals to the right person.  In my experience, if I give them to someone who is excited about Apple Pay then there is a higher likelihood of the decals being put out than if I give them to someone who couldn’t care less.
  • Reply 17 of 21

Soli said:
    I'll post this again…

Thanks for continuing to post this.  I have been doing that as well, but I’ve also found that I have to be sure to give the decals to the right person.  In my experience, if I give them to someone who is excited about Apple Pay then there is a higher likelihood of the decals being put out than if I give them to someone who couldn’t care less.
    Oh yeah! That happens most of the time. This one Chinese restaurant I go to about once a month will have a different person at the register each time and every time they look at me like I’m crazy and tell me that it doesn’t work. Every. Single. Time. For, what, 2.5 years now? How long as it been out?

Then there’s this sub shop where the same 2 people know about it (because of me) still get confused despite having done it with me a couple dozen times. It’s literally the exact same process they do for any card until you get to the card but they always get stumped at their typical routine of inputting the amount into the reader. I feel like an army of one.

edited February 2018 ihatescreennameslolliver
  • Reply 18 of 21
    We need more merchants are the amount of banks is useless.  The problem is the credit card companies have abandoned Contact-less payment in favor of the chip so other than apple pay, there's no longer a reason to keep it around or invest in it except for Apple pay.  Google phones use NFC too, but Samsung purchased the company that allows them to emulate a credit card swipe so you can use it any where, even if NFC is not available or configured properly.  Apple needs to find a way to emulate the credit card chip.  NFC is now becoming obsolete.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Soli said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Notsofast said:
    As opposed to a debit card? So long as it’s a Visa it will be accepted. If not, then it will be denied and you’ll have to accept a different card.
    Thanks. 
  • Reply 20 of 21

webraider said:
    We need more merchants are the amount of banks is useless.  The problem is the credit card companies have abandoned Contact-less payment in favor of the chip so other than apple pay, there's no longer a reason to keep it around or invest in it except for Apple pay.  Google phones use NFC too, but Samsung purchased the company that allows them to emulate a credit card swipe so you can use it any where, even if NFC is not available or configured properly.  Apple needs to find a way to emulate the credit card chip.  NFC is now becoming obsolete.
    This is precisely the opposite of what we’re seeing in the UK. 

NFC readers are still on the increase at the counter, and they’re now taking over on busses, at train stations, car parks…

It’s really got things moving on the London Underground, but you have to tap out with the same card you used to tap in, so make sure the phone doesn’t run out of juice while you’re traveling.