Apple international regulatory filings hint that two new iPad models are imminent

Posted:
in iPad
Apple has obtained permission to sell two new iPads in several Eurasian countries, suggesting that the company is planning to announce them in the near future.

The Eurasian Economic Commission --- overseeing Russia, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan -- this week approved "A1893" and "A1954" models, Consomac noted on Wednesday. Those numbers don't correspond to any existing iPads.

Apple has also secured permission to bring several iPad and iPhone "samples" into the region, with "CC" and "AA" prefixes in front of their model numbers. Since this is the first time the company has won EEC permission for samples, it's not clear which devices are involved.

This year's iPad refresh is expected to be a significant step forward, since code in the iOS 11.3 betas refers to a "Modern" model. Before the announcement of the iPhone X, pre-release iOS 11 code referenced a "Modern" iPhone.

That could imply that new iPads will switch to Face ID and edge-to-edge displays, abandoning Touch ID and even the relatively modest bezels of the 10.5-inch iPad Pro. The products are likely to use LCD instead of OLED, however, given the cost of OLED and the difficulty of mass production.

Since the EEC's document mentions two models, those are presumably 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pros. It's not certain when -- or even if -- the company will update its 9.7-inch "budget" iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Since the EEC's document mentions two models, those are presumably 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pros. It's not certain when -- or even if -- the company will update its 9.7-inch "budget" iPad.
    Don't forget about the Mini! Oh wait, Apple already did.
    wlymedredbrakkeniSalmanPak
  • Reply 2 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    The mini is dead. No longer needs to be in Apple's lineup. Sorry folks! Go hang out with the 17" MacBook Pro crowd.
    williamlondonmike1Nameo_watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 3 of 32
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    macxpress said:
    The mini is dead. No longer needs to be in Apple's lineup. Sorry folks! Go hang out with the 17" MacBook Pro crowd.
    I’ll hang out with the Xserve crowd, thank you. Much quieter. 
    macxpresspropodwlymedrediqatedololliver
  • Reply 4 of 32
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    If this is the next 329 iPad, I hope they can bring back the antireflective coating at the same cost, that might put me over on it. I'd expect A10 too. 

Not sure why the article is doubting it's that one, the source is neutral and that came out in March last year? 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 5 of 32
    oomu said:
    macxpress said:
    I’ll hang out with the Xserve crowd, thank you. Much quieter. 
    Or that too. :smile: 
  • Reply 6 of 32
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    macxpress said:
    Because you speak for everyone, as usual.
    wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    My one other wish, even if the budget iPad doesn't move to the quad speakers which it probably won't, moving one of the two stereo speakers to the top side would be nice for a better stereo mode in fullscreen video. It firing only out the bottom with no separation was always a bother to me. 

Not expecting it, but the surprise would be welcome. 
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Cursor on display and touchpad on smart kb.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I hope Apple refreshes the iPad lineup soon. I'm currently in the market for an iPad Pro so I'll wait until the new ones are released. 
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    crowley said:

So did Apple’s customers; they bought plus-sized iPhones instead. 
    pscooter63watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 11 of 32
    My wife and I share our iPads, and we love TouchID.  It is secure, fast, and allows multiple users.
    We've been waiting to upgrade the iPads, but FaceID with its restriction to a single user would make that them a non-starter. 
    I can't use my wife's iPhone X because Face ID only allows one user to be registered.  OK, that's fine for a personal device like the phone, but as I said, we share the iPads, and need to both be able to use both of them.
    -
    Come on, Apple, if you are going to take away TouchID, then FaceID has to allow multiple users!

rinosaur
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I don't know if it will happen (haven't really heard any rumors about it) but I am hoping for an iPad X - Same bezel-less design, a notch, Face ID, etc.

It's kinda hard to go back and forth between iPhone X and my current iPad Pro.  I am already so used to swipe-the-bottom-edge gestures :)
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I might be wrong here, but I thought it wasn't possible to make an odd-shaped LCD screen because of backlight placement. If the new iPads aren't going to have OLED, does this mean there will be a minimal top bezel instead of a notch?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Rayz2016 said:
    crowley said:

So did Apple’s customers; they bought plus-sized iPhones instead. 
    A $700+ phone isn't a great alternative to a small <$300 iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Geezer42 said:
    My wife and I share our iPads, and we love TouchID.  It is secure, fast, and allows multiple users.
    We've been waiting to upgrade the iPads, but FaceID with its restriction to a single user would make that them a non-starter. 
    I can't use my wife's iPhone X because Face ID only allows one user to be registered.  OK, that's fine for a personal device like the phone, but as I said, we share the iPads, and need to both be able to use both of them.
    -
    Come on, Apple, if you are going to take away TouchID, then FaceID has to allow multiple users!

If Apple were interested in making iPads (and other iOS devices) "shared" devices, they would have done it years ago.  I wouldn't count on FaceID ever working for multiple faces.  
    lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Geezer42 said:
    -

Dont assume that FaceID will always be a single user solution!    We might not see multiple users this year but i see the concept of FaceID being a long term goal at Apple.   Im sctually expecting it to be extended to multiple users to allow robots, self driving cars and the like to identify authorized users. 

My HP ENVY has a system similar to FaceID.   While it staryed out with a very beta feel, Microsoft and HP have actually gotten it to work fairly well.  Apple could easily do the same thing for Mac and iPads but make changing users even cleaner.   It just takes time to fully develop the hardware and software.  
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Geezer42 said:
    -

If Apple were interested in making iPads (and other iOS devices) "shared" devices, they would have done it years ago.  I wouldn't count on FaceID ever working for multiple faces.  
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Apple even stated that FaceID would never be for multiple people. TouchID wasn't even supposed to work like that. 
  • Reply 18 of 32
    elijahg said:
    macxpress said:
    Because you speak for everyone, as usual.
    Sorry about the truth hurting...
    lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My bank account is likely to take a big hit from Apple this year as my iPhone 4 is on its last leg and the iPad is broken (self inflicted).   The IPad died some time ago and frankly ive held off because i wanted a new revision iPad.   FaceID is a big part of thatvdelay but im also hoping that Apple changes up the game plan a bit.  

So what do i want to see in a modern iPad:
    Higher CPU and GPU performance.  This is a given but might as well be on record.  
    Enhanced AI hardware.  We arecat the 6502 stage of hardware development when it comes to AI hardware and software so Apple has a ling ways to go here.  The goal should be AI like behavior like the old Knowledge Navigator videos.  
    im hoping for a betterv up sell configuration.   That is buying extra storage shouldn't feel like a complete rip off.   The top end model should also double RAM.   
    more environmental I/O.  By this i mean temperature, air pressure  and the like.  Even an always on wrather alert radio would be nice.  
    Apple should pull head from Ass and do something about a Broadcast FM radio.  So little hardware is required herethat it kinda boggles the mind that they dont off this feature.   There is still much in this world that isnt net based and probably never will be.  
    The cameras on these units cry out for interchangeable lenses.   It would be awsome to see Apple standardize a bayonent for this desire.   Either that or offer a zoom capability of at least 6X.   In the end nothing beats an optical solution to image composition.  Further camera tech has come so far that quality optical solutions would not be a complete waste.  
    This is probably ways off but solar charging would be a nice feature.  Again an upsell solution but the thing here is iPad is big enough that a reasonable recharge rate can be had from a well implemented solar charging solution.   Building this solution into the front glass would be ground breaking but id settle for cells mounted on the back side.  An alternative here would be to add a hardened port for a solar charging snap on  device (protective cover).   

• Reply 20 of 32
    wizard69 said:
    My bank account is likely to take a big hit from Apple this year as my iPhone 4 is on its last leg and the iPad is broken (self inflicted).   The IPad died some time ago and frankly ive held off because i wanted a new revision iPad.   FaceID is a big part of thatvdelay but im also hoping that Apple changes up the game plan a bit.  

So what do i want to see in a modern iPad:
    Higher CPU and GPU performance.  This is a given but might as well be on record.  
    Enhanced AI hardware.  We arecat the 6502 stage of hardware development when it comes to AI hardware and software so Apple has a ling ways to go here.  The goal should be AI like behavior like the old Knowledge Navigator videos.  
    im hoping for a betterv up sell configuration.   That is buying extra storage shouldn't feel like a complete rip off.   The top end model should also double RAM.   
    more environmental I/O.  By this i mean temperature, air pressure  and the like.  Even an always on wrather alert radio would be nice.  
    Apple should pull head from Ass and do something about a Broadcast FM radio.  So little hardware is required herethat it kinda boggles the mind that they dont off this feature.   There is still much in this world that isnt net based and probably never will be.  
    The cameras on these units cry out for interchangeable lenses.   It would be awsome to see Apple standardize a bayonent for this desire.   Either that or offer a zoom capability of at least 6X.   In the end nothing beats an optical solution to image composition.  Further camera tech has come so far that quality optical solutions would not be a complete waste.  
    This is probably ways off but solar charging would be a nice feature.  Again an upsell solution but the thing here is iPad is big enough that a reasonable recharge rate can be had from a well implemented solar charging solution.   Building this solution into the front glass would be ground breaking but id settle for cells mounted on the back side.  An alternative here would be to add a hardened port for a solar charging snap on  device (protective cover).   

chiajust cruisinhrguylastmiracleanonconformistlolliverkirkgrayanome