Failure of Pixel 2 exposed a larger problem: Google's ads don't work

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Great piece! I didn't know Google Pixel sells so poorly, considering I have been bombarded with their ads almost constantly during 2017. And not always in a nice way, more like in your face way.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 96
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    But, but, but, the purpose of advertising is to convince the public that your crap doesn’t stink... Google failed at that. People held their noses and walked away... Google sucked at advertising the Pixel phone...big time! 
    Is that you, Donald Trump?  A very odd way to define the purpose of advertising.
    edited February 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 83 of 96
    Soli said:
    Wow! That Portrait Mode image is awful. I can't believe Bohn would say that looks good. If you click on the link to his post many people point out how it didn't even do the right side of the image to which he defends by saying it was good, not great.

If that's the bar then here's a good copy of the Mona Lisa and two great buildings next to a good one.

The Pixel's Portrait mode has gotten so much better since launch, but of course Daniel won't post example of recent photos because that would go against his narrative. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 84 of 96
    What is the purpose of writing a Google bashing article other than it makes some people feel good to knock one of Apple’s competitors? Is there some worry about the iPhone X that AI feels it necessary to trash the Pixel?

Considering this is an Apple centric site I’d love to see an editorial about, say, Siri and what Apple can and should do to make it better or maybe a discussion on the rumored software changes and how Apple can improve their software processes and quality going forward. Or maybe a piece about what would be good to see software wise in the future for the HomePod. A Siri intent for music and podcasts? The ability to recognize different voices and offer multi user support? These are just a few examples. There are plenty of editorials and pieces about Apple that could generate good discussion. I wish more rumor sites would run  pieces that could generate this kind of discussion. 9to5Mac does on occasion but they seem to be the only one.
    That's exactly what I was wondering... This "article" serves absolutely no purpose other than to fanboy. It's a complete shot at the competition and for no real reason.
  • Reply 85 of 96
    saltyzip said:
    Muntz said:
    saltyzip said:
    The pixel 2 is only sold in a few countries which are Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Puerto Rico, Spain, United Kingdom and United States, so you have to take that into account with the sales numbers.

At the end of the day the pixel 2 has been rated as a superb phone, and most of those educated in this business seems to carry one and use it as their main driver.
    Educated in what business? Shilling? I’ve seen like 3 pixel phones in the wild in NYC.
    Everybody in the tech industry knows the Pixel 2 is the best smartphone camera

I've just read this tweet #shotonpixel

Be different not the same!
    Watch out, you're showing something that goes against the narrative here....
  • Reply 86 of 96
    k2kw said:
    I've definitely have heard positive and negative things about Android/Google at the Verge.   I loved Niley Patel's video reviews of both the HomePod and iPhoneX.
    Even though I didn't buy an iPhoneX he made a comment that stuck with me to the effect "The iPhone X just feels like the future of smarts phones".   Deiter Bohn was too fawning in his praise of the Pixel 2 and it was Vlad Savov also at theVerge who rebutted his review.

LOL... Vlad Savov is the very definition of a Google sycophant.
  • Reply 87 of 96
    Dracarys said:
    The Pixel's Portrait mode has gotten so much better since launch, but of course Daniel won't post example of recent photos because that would go against his narrative. 
    All products improve over time.  That's not the issue.  The issue is how the tech press fawns over obviously inferior products.  The fact that Bohn provided a really poor example, then used that example to brag about the Pixel 2 quality is the issue.  It makes it clear that Bohn and by extension, the Verge, are untrustworthy sources for discussing photo quality.  
  • Reply 88 of 96
    saltyzip said:
    Muntz said:
    saltyzip said:
    The pixel 2 is only sold in a few countries which are Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Puerto Rico, Spain, United Kingdom and United States, so you have to take that into account with the sales numbers.

At the end of the day the pixel 2 has been rated as a superb phone, and most of those educated in this business seems to carry one and use it as their main driver.
    Educated in what business? Shilling? I’ve seen like 3 pixel phones in the wild in NYC.
    Everybody in the tech industry knows the Pixel 2 is the best smartphone camera

I've just read this tweet #shotonpixel

Be different not the same!
    Actually if you look at the original picture where the guy says that the phone is good, the DoF effect just sucks balls. The blur on the left is a lot stronger than that on the right side of the frame, even though distance-wise, both walls are at the same (more or less) distance from the camera. Translation - the effect is absolutely incorrect! 
  • Reply 89 of 96
    The Pixel is ugly, overpriced and underpowered. I could never figure it out.
  • Reply 90 of 96
    saltyzip said:

At the end of the day the pixel 2 has been rated as a superb phone, and most of those educated in this business seems to carry one and use it as their main driver, stipulating the camera is incredible.

Also Samsung makes prettier phones at the pixel 2 price range, the uneducated don't take into account software updates or unlimited photo and video backups and no bloat at the point of sale.

Unless the sales staff advise their customers of this the customer will walk out with a Samsung everytime.

If all that matters is someone in an industry praising a camera on a phone to get a person to buy it. Then we could just throw in Steven Soderbergh waffling on about how amazing the iPhone is and how he shot an entire movie on it. 

Most of today’s top tier devices have great cameras for the average consumer. It’s just one small piece of a much larger pie. Encompassing everything from the phone hardware, it’s OS, software, services and broader device compatibility and integration. 

I think the majority of people now know these devices. It’s not like ten years ago when you had to hold granny’s hand and explain what a mobile phone is. Heck even my 70 odd year old neighbor knows exactly what she wants in a smartphone. 

The exceptions to the the rule will, of course, as you say buy whatever the idiot salesperson is trying to shift that particular week.  

There’s not even quite so much platform switching as there was in the past. It’s not even brand loyalty as such, it’s knowing what you want. Those of us who do, make our choices based on a broad range of criteria and barring some monumental shift in needs or a company’s strategy, we’re going to fall into either iOS or Android. 

Everything has it’s merits and its drawbacks, with both platforms. But I’d like to think we’re all capable and intelligent enough not to base our, not insignificant, spending on, well x person likes it, so it must be the best. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 91 of 96
    This article is plainly wrong. Pixel doesn’t sell well not because of inefective marketing but because it is wrong product for wrong market. People at whole are not that stupid. It’s just another android phone with slightly better camera at ridicuoluos price point. 

Indeed, at that price point it’s probably the best selling android phone, but it is small market segment to begin with. So why bother? It’s brand uplifting operation so samsung and others can increase ASP in an allready stagnating market. Just like Apple, copying whats working. 
    muthuk_vanalingamSendMcjak
  • Reply 92 of 96
    Great piece, as usual, by DED! Good thing also that one could almost read through this one while holding his breath... DED does get long winded from time to time.

I’m sure am proud of myself of calling Dieter out on his tweet, so many months ago. I haven’t troubled myself with any of his “material” ever since—in fact, I pretty much abandoned The Verge... too many agendas (conflicted ones, on top of that) in there.
    I agree. I dropped The Verge like a hot potato back in 2015. 
  • Reply 93 of 96
    sdw2001 said:
    Can't say we're surprised, right folks?  It's another "[Apple product]-Killer" that will soon be...dead.  Remember the Zune?  Remember Micro$oft's bashing the original iPhone? Windows Phone?  Not even mighty Google can be a real competitor.  I've said this for years...the issue isn't the product or even the marketing, it's the goal from which the product and marketing came.  They aren't interested in making a great, special product and selling as many as possible.  They are interested in attacking Apple and taking marketshare.  It never works.  Apple makes products that are more than the sum of their parts, brilliantly branded and marketed, and sold through a network of stores that are destinations unto themselves.  You just can't compete with that.  

The only legit competitor is Samsung, and we know how they got there.  If the patent system and courts weren't utterly broken, Samsung would have paid billions in damages and been barred from selling smartphones in the U.S. at all.  Regardless, they are a real competitor who makes good products overall.  
    Well said sir!
  • Reply 94 of 96
    segoiiisegoiii Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    "The worst thing for Google right now would be to establish that its advertising simply isn't very effective." Wait. Google wants to proove that their advertisements work ? Now i understand. They made an overpriced, crappy standard phone with an ugly name ON PURPOSE to proove that their marketing works. Well ... it obviously does not.
  • Reply 95 of 96
    Google Mobile is lost. Someone needs to take control of that unit and right the ship.
    1) Why release tablet Google Pixel Slate and make it as expensive as Apple iPad Pro when the Slate has no LTE version and storage is limited to 256 GB? The iPad Pro has 1TB storage with LTE and this is at same price point as Pixel Slate 128 GM with wi-fi only. Pathetic. People who bought these expensive tablets needs productivity. Give them the option of LTE when they travel.
    2) Why make the Pixel 3 phones with reduced battery capacity and only 4GB of RAM? Also, the Pixel 3 has an antiquated design. Hey, Google, just look at the superior and creative designs and features on Huawei Mate 20 Pro and salivate on what Huawei has done and still come at the same price point as Google. What didn't Huawei just do the design and you don't need a huge mobile unit department from HTC.
    3) Find ways to listen to what customers need. Google is failing miserably at this.