Apple international regulatory filings hint that two new iPad models are imminent

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Geezer42 said:
    My wife and I share our iPads, and we love TouchID.  It is secure, fast, and allows multiple users.
    We've been waiting to upgrade the iPads, but FaceID with its restriction to a single user would make that them a non-starter. 
    I can't use my wife's iPhone X because Face ID only allows one user to be registered.  OK, that's fine for a personal device like the phone, but as I said, we share the iPads, and need to both be able to use both of them.
    -
    Come on, Apple, if you are going to take away TouchID, then FaceID has to allow multiple users!

I never understand this. These devices are meant for a single user. Why on earth would you want to use a device that’s completely set up for someone else? Their accounts, notifications, bookmarks, browsing history, share sheet settings, social accounts. You both even have your own iPad. The solution is to just use your own device. With Face ID, just use the passcode if you absolutely must use their device, but anyone sharing a single user account on a regular basis is not using iOS as designed. 

It’s like people who share a Facebook account. Wtf. 
    lolliverSpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 32
    AppleInsider said:
    Apple has obtained permission to sell two new iPads in several Eurasian countries, suggesting that the company is planning to announce them in the near future.

My bet/hope is that they pull an iPad Air 2--> 2017 iPad & 9.7" iPad Pro. That is to say I'd love to see a budget 7.9 iPad with the digitizer unfused from the LCD (so as thick as the first three iPad minis) and running an A9 processor-- and then everything else stays the same as the current mini.

Then they also drop an iPad mini Pro with an A10x chip and the thinner (more expensive to buy and repair) digitizer fused to the LCD panel ala the current mini as well as all the other current iPad Pro goodness- Pencil support, quad speakers, and USB3. I'd buy a Pro mini in a second. I checked the width of my iPad mini versus a full size keyboard and they could even do the smart connector with the smart keyboard-- with full size keys! ...if they get creative with putting less important keys as function-accessible characters on some of the letter keys.

I realize I'm not the entire market, so this could all be fantasy, but I currently use my iPad mini 4 to import and edit RAW photos (Adobe Lightroom on iOS is pretty great) when I'm on the go. It can go in a much smaller bag than a normal size iPad, such that it can be on my person way more often than I would care to carry a normal sized iPad-- but it's still a much bigger display than any of the iPhones. It also doesn't look nearly as weird pulling an iPad mini out of a bag to read at lunch than it does a full sized iPad or laptop. Full iPad Pro treatment would rock, but really I'd be happy with just a faster processor in the thing.

My iPhone is an SE, and I had a 6 before it, so yeah, I'm a fan of the wee tiny stuff. Entirely possible I'm in an unprofitable minority and the mini will die an ignominious death, but I hope not.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    wizard69 said:
    Geezer42 said:
    My wife and I share our iPads, and we love TouchID.  It is secure, fast, and allows multiple users.
    We've been waiting to upgrade the iPads, but FaceID with its restriction to a single user would make that them a non-starter. 
    I can't use my wife's iPhone X because Face ID only allows one user to be registered.  OK, that's fine for a personal device like the phone, but as I said, we share the iPads, and need to both be able to use both of them.
    -
    Come on, Apple, if you are going to take away TouchID, then FaceID has to allow multiple users!

Dont assume that FaceID will always be a single user solution!    We might not see multiple users this year but i see the concept of FaceID being a long term goal at Apple. 
    I think Apple is a bit torn on the single user iPad thing. They position it as a single user device, with it tied to a single iCloud account along with all the restrictions that brings such as one user's email account, iMessages, documents, contacts etc. But at the same time they try and push it as a desktop replacement. Desktops are often used in a family, each with a separate login. 

I have an old iPad 2 which I used to share with family, and I was hoping Apple would add multiple user support eventually at which point I'd upgrade. They're great to just pick up and use for light web browsing, finding recipes, watching TV on, etc. But each member of the family doesn't need one; multi-user use just one works fine except the sharing of more personal data. iOS is fundamentally multi-user so adding multi-user support wouldn't be that hard, but I think Apple's attempt to sell more iPads by making them single user is actually hurting sales. 
    rinosaur
  • Reply 24 of 32

elijahg said:
    wizard69 said:
    Geezer42 said:
    -

Dont assume that FaceID will always be a single user solution!    We might not see multiple users this year but i see the concept of FaceID being a long term goal at Apple. 
    I think Apple is a bit torn on the single user iPad thing. They position it as a single user device, with it tied to a single iCloud account along with all the restrictions that brings such as one user's email account, iMessages, documents, contacts etc. But at the same time they try and push it as a desktop replacement. Desktops are often used in a family, each with a separate login.
    More like a laptop, than a desktop.
    I have an old iPad 2 which I used to share with family, and I was hoping Apple would add multiple user support eventually at which point I'd upgrade. They're great to just pick up and use for light web browsing, finding recipes, watching TV on, etc. But each member of the family doesn't need one; multi-user use just one works fine except the sharing of more personal data.
    If you're sharing an old iPad with your family, just don't use it for any personal data and turn off security if it's not leaving the house.
    iOS is fundamentally multi-user so adding multi-user support wouldn't be that hard
    Except for App management, storage management, resource management, user switching... there's a lot to consider on relatively limited devices. As storage, RAM, etc get more plentiful, that's less of an issue, but you have to consider how many 16GB devices are still out there in the wild with 1GB of RAM or less, running on slower processors.
    but I think Apple's attempt to sell more iPads by making them single user is actually hurting sales. 
    I would expect the exact opposite is the case.
    lolliverSpamSandwich
  • Reply 25 of 32
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    macxpress said:
    The mini is dead. No longer needs to be in Apple's lineup. Sorry folks! Go hang out with the 17" MacBook Pro crowd.
    The minis are a key, lower volume product for professional use.
    10” tablets are e.g. too big and heavy for table side order entry, and iPhones too small and too expensive (who needs cellular connectivity for that).

minis are great for travelers and useums, for electronic guides and maps. Again, a size and weight issue.

it’s not like they require lots of R&D in addition to the products Apple already makes, but it’s a question if Apple wants to chase entire ecosystems into the arms of the android camp, or not.

There are plenty of companies in the tech sector which thought they didn’t have to cater to niche markets, until it bit them in the ass or in this case the Apple.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 26 of 32
    urashid said:
    I don't know if it will happen (haven't really heard any rumors about it) but I am hoping for an iPad X - Same bezel-less design, a notch, Face ID, etc.

It's kinda hard to go back and forth between iPhone X and my current iPad Pro.  I am already so used to swipe-the-bottom-edge gestures :)
    Have iPad Pro 12.9 and love it. iPad X, nice but holy crap how much would THAT cost? Given the unprecedented price that iPhone X commanded. I could not do it, and would throw my money at a Macbook Pro instead. And if I was in splurge mode, I would make the leap to invest in a refurbed 15”. 
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Geezer42 said:
    -

Just have the second person enter the code manually. Is it really that difficult?
    lolliver
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Geezer42 said:
    -

Just have the second person enter the code manually. Is it really that difficult?
    And that is as convenient as TouchID or FaceID????? I can even argue, why not take away TouchID/FaceID for even a single user, enter the code manually, is it really that difficult?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    wizard69 said:
    My bank account is likely to take a big hit from Apple this year as my iPhone 4 is on its last leg and the iPad is broken (self inflicted).   The IPad died some time ago and frankly ive held off because i wanted a new revision iPad.   FaceID is a big part of thatvdelay but im also hoping that Apple changes up the game plan a bit.  

So what do i want to see in a modern iPad:
    Higher CPU and GPU performance.  This is a given but might as well be on record.  
    Enhanced AI hardware.  We arecat the 6502 stage of hardware development when it comes to AI hardware and software so Apple has a ling ways to go here.  The goal should be AI like behavior like the old Knowledge Navigator videos.  
    im hoping for a betterv up sell configuration.   That is buying extra storage shouldn't feel like a complete rip off.   The top end model should also double RAM.   
    more environmental I/O.  By this i mean temperature, air pressure  and the like.  Even an always on wrather alert radio would be nice.  
    Apple should pull head from Ass and do something about a Broadcast FM radio.  So little hardware is required herethat it kinda boggles the mind that they dont off this feature.   There is still much in this world that isnt net based and probably never will be.  
    The cameras on these units cry out for interchangeable lenses.   It would be awsome to see Apple standardize a bayonent for this desire.   Either that or offer a zoom capability of at least 6X.   In the end nothing beats an optical solution to image composition.  Further camera tech has come so far that quality optical solutions would not be a complete waste.  
    This is probably ways off but solar charging would be a nice feature.  Again an upsell solution but the thing here is iPad is big enough that a reasonable recharge rate can be had from a well implemented solar charging solution.   Building this solution into the front glass would be ground breaking but id settle for cells mounted on the back side.  An alternative here would be to add a hardened port for a solar charging snap on  device (protective cover).   

There are clever ways to get the equivalent of pure optical zoom without all the glass and excursion, using multiple cameras.  End result is much more optical detail instead of the crappy software “zooms” that we are accustomed to.

Although a little different, the astronomy community is currently creating a telescope “almost the size of Earth” in order to look at the center of our galaxy with some detail.  They do this by setting up multiple telescopes that work tegether.

I believe Apple has more they can offer with the existing two-camera solution already employed.  In a few years, there may be a small camera array on the back of the phones, possibly with detectors for additional wavelengths for additional features.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Geezer42 said:
    -

I never understand this. These devices are meant for a single user. Why on earth would you want to use a device that’s completely set up for someone else? Their accounts, notifications, bookmarks, browsing history, share sheet settings, social accounts. You both even have your own iPad. The solution is to just use your own device. With Face ID, just use the passcode if you absolutely must use their device, but anyone sharing a single user account on a regular basis is not using iOS as designed. 

No, it’s not the same at all.

While MacOS is a different beast, it has this functionality, and it is Apple’s beast.

Imagine iPads at a school in some sort of focused class, such as a special arts class.  Each student having their own login could save a school a lot of money, and also logistics headaches: a school that may buy a cheaper tablet or not offer a tablet at all if they had to buy a relatively expensive iPad for every conceivable student.  In public schools, you can’t just force parents to buy the kid a tablet.  Some parents can’t afford it.  If these kids all share the same logon, one kid will wreck the
    other kids’ artwork or whatever.  The honor system only works until adolescents get involved.

Touch ID would be no better than Face ID in this context.

There have been rumors that Apple is planning to allow family-shared devices with unique configuration and content access based on login.  I hope they follow through.

edited February 2018
  • Reply 31 of 32
    roake said:
    Geezer42 said:
    -

No, it’s not the same at all.

While MacOS is a different beast, it has this functionality, and it is Apple’s beast.

Imagine iPads at a school in some sort of focused class, such as a special arts class.  Each student having their own login could save a school a lot of money, and also logistics headaches: a school that may buy a cheaper tablet or not offer a tablet at all if they had to buy a relatively expensive iPad for every conceivable student.  In public schools, you can’t just force parents to buy the kid a tablet.  Some parents can’t afford it.  If these kids all share the same logon, one kid will wreck the
    other kids’ artwork or whatever.  The honor system only works until adolescents get involved.

Touch ID would be no better than Face ID in this context.

There have been rumors that Apple is planning to allow family-shared devices with unique configuration and content access based on login.  I hope they follow through.

I’m talking about what exists in reality right now, not “imagine if...”. 
  • Reply 32 of 32
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    urashid said:
    I don't know if it will happen (haven't really heard any rumors about it) but I am hoping for an iPad X - Same bezel-less design, a notch, Face ID, etc.
    You'd have to wait until 2020 for a true iPad X as the X denotes 10 years.