Love Star Wars? Been waiting to see something beyond the Skywalker saga?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I can’t wait for Disney to crash itself into a wall. Marvel saturation is far closer than they think, and Star Wars will only accelerate it. It’s a real shame, because there was some potential in the Kenobi standalone film (which we may not get now because the thing could come crashing down). I also would’ve loved a Sheev Palpatine standalone film. Ian McDiarmid brought so much heart (and ham!) into that role. Palpatine was the only good thing about the prequel trilogy.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I can’t wait for Disney to crash itself into a wall. Marvel saturation is far closer than they think, and Star Wars will only accelerate it. It’s a real shame, because there was some potential in the Kenobi standalone film (which we may not get now because the thing could come crashing down). I also would’ve loved a Sheev Palpatine standalone film. Ian McDiarmid brought so much heart (and ham!) into that role. Palpatine was the only good thing about the prequel trilogy.
    I've been waiting for most of my life to explore outside the boundaries of the Saga, so anything they do is OK by me.

Rumors support the notion of a standalone Kenobi movie, so I think we could see that in a few years.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    And now its been announced that there will be a Star Wars TV series available only on Disney’s streaming service. Wow. Heady times for Star Wars fans!

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/star-wars-tv-series-disney-streaming-service-1202611408/
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 4 of 7
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Black Panther and Infinity War may be their last big hits. Superhero fatigue is a real thing, people have been talking about it for years, and I think 2018 is the year that finally comes true for Marvel. Star Wars, on the other hand, will be making billions of dollars for at least the next few years, count on that.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ferali said:
    Black Panther and Infinity War may be their last big hits. Superhero fatigue is a real thing, people have been talking about it for years, and I think 2018 is the year that finally comes true for Marvel. Star Wars, on the other hand, will be making billions of dollars for at least the next few years, count on that.
    Marvel has been extremely smart about their properties. I don’t see the box office flagging for them anytime soon.
    airnerd
  • Reply 6 of 7
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    ferali said:
    I'm not so sure about that.  Marvel has been smart enough to have a roadmap, to look long term and know where the universe is going.  They aren't just reacting to fan tweets after movies and saying "ok now go make a spinoff about that hero" like others have done.  I was never a big comic guy, so everytime one of these movies comes out it's new to me.  I think that is the beauty of their system, it is true enough to the comics to keep the diehard fans happy but able to simply tell enough of a backstory to make it inclusive of those just vaguely familiar with the characters.  I can enjoy the series without knowing the ins and outs of each character, or I can deep dive and learn why characters interact with the ones they do.  

MCU is being set up well enough that i think they can keep it going for a long, long time.  Look what they have done with the Defenders on Netflix.  Completely separate from the movie lines, but interesting as all get out.  I haven't engaged any of the network TV shows, though.  I think Marvel can just keep following the comic lines and away from the Avengers and into the next tier of characters, like Captain Marvel.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    airnerd said:
    ferali said:
    I'm not so sure about that.  Marvel has been smart enough to have a roadmap, to look long term and know where the universe is going.  They aren't just reacting to fan tweets after movies and saying "ok now go make a spinoff about that hero" like others have done.  I was never a big comic guy, so everytime one of these movies comes out it's new to me.  I think that is the beauty of their system, it is true enough to the comics to keep the diehard fans happy but able to simply tell enough of a backstory to make it inclusive of those just vaguely familiar with the characters.  I can enjoy the series without knowing the ins and outs of each character, or I can deep dive and learn why characters interact with the ones they do.  

MCU is being set up well enough that i think they can keep it going for a long, long time.  Look what they have done with the Defenders on Netflix.  Completely separate from the movie lines, but interesting as all get out.  I haven't engaged any of the network TV shows, though.  I think Marvel can just keep following the comic lines and away from the Avengers and into the next tier of characters, like Captain Marvel.  
    The only misfire surrounding one of their properties appears to be due to the hiring and later exposing of James Gunn and his vile tweets. Now Dave Bautista is attempting to get out of his multi-picture contract with Disney/Marvel. It's getting messy.