Apple's AirPower mat inches closer to release, again said to arrive in March

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Following up on rumors earlier this month, Japanese publication Mac Otakara has confirmed with its own sources that Apple plans to initiate sales of its hotly anticipated AirPower wireless charging mat in March.

In a brief report published Thursday, Mac Otakara, citing a reliable source, said Apple will soon begin selling AirPower in its stores, echoing identical claims made by The Apple Post in early February.

While a specific date was not disclosed, the source said AirPower will debut sometime in March.

The Japanese blog has a decent track record when it comes to predicting Apple product launches, but as usual, word of the tentative launch date is not official and should therefore be taken with a grain of salt.

Along with its own channels, Apple is supposedly seeding AirPower to Authorized Apple Resellers like Best Buy, a common strategy designed to increase availability. The big-box retailer, and likely other outlets, will purportedly see AirPower availability on the same day as Apple stores.

Today's report failed to mention wireless AirPods charging cases, which were unveiled alongside AirPower at September's iPhone event. Apple describes the AirPods accessory as "optional," suggesting there will be two AirPods SKUs, one with a case featuring a traditional Lightning connection and another incorporating inductive charging elements.

According to The Apple Post, Apple intends to sell standalone wireless AirPods charging cases exclusively through its own retail stores, leaving third-party resellers to sell the item as a package with new AirPods.

Announced at Apple's iPhone event in September, AirPower is a Qi-compatible inductive charging pad capable of detecting and juicing up multiple devices simultaneously. For example, AirPower boasts sufficient throughput to charge an iPhone, Apple Watch and the wireless-compatible AirPods case at the same time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I had forgotten about the AirPower and the AirPod charging case with external induction charging.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 2 of 34
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    I’ll take two, please - one each in White and Space Gray
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    My wife got me a Mophie inductive charger for Christmas. A coworker had told her how much he lives his with his iPhone X.  I returned it for an Apple Store gift card in anticipation of this, considering I have a X, a Series 3 and AirPods it seems like the much better choice. I’m hoping the cost isn’t too crazy. 
    AirunJaeGeorgeBMacalbegarc
  • Reply 4 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    My wife got me a Mophie inductive charger for Christmas. A coworker had told her how much he lives his with his iPhone X.  I returned it for an Apple Store gift card in anticipation of this, considering I have a X, a Series 3 and AirPods it seems like the much better choice. I’m hoping the cost isn’t too crazy. 
    A Polish retailer had the price coming out to $199. I don't recall if that included VAT, but I can see this being at least $149.

Don't forget you also need to buy a new AirPod charging case. Honestly, how often do you charge that thing? It seems like you could many days without charging and then it charges fast.
    albegarc
  • Reply 5 of 34
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Both of my Apple watches have bands that won’t lie flat: a Series 1 with a SS Link and a Series 3 with a SS Milanese. 

Which just leaves my X. Not enough use. 
    GeorgeBMacalbegarccrabby
  • Reply 6 of 34
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    If I get one, it won't be to charge my iPhone X. I'll continue to use my 29 Watt USB-C Power Adapter which charges my phone in no time.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    I can easily use my phone when it's charging on a cord. It's nearly useless when charging wirelessly.
    mike1
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Soli said:
    A Polish retailer had the price coming out to $199. I don't recall if that included VAT, but I can see this being at least $149.

Don't forget you also need to buy a new AirPod charging case. Honestly, how often do you charge that thing? It seems like you could many days without charging and then it charges fast.
    You’re right, the AirPods don’t need charging very often.  When I charge them they typically go on my iPhone charging dock so I need to do it separate from charging my phone. If I’m getting AirPower I may as well get the new AirPod case. 

What appeals to to me is having one spot that can handle all three. Currently my iPhone gets charged on my nightstand and my watch gets charged on my dresser due to outlets being full near my bed. For the most part they both charge overnight so using my phone while charging isn’t something I’m concerned with. 

Also, I like the thought of only needing to bring one charger when traveling. 

JFC_PA said:
    Both of my Apple watches have bands that won’t lie flat: a Series 1 with a SS Link and a Series 3 with a SS Milanese. 
    Well, your Series 1 seems to be out anyway, right? I don’t recall any mention of Watches other than the Series 3 getting “wireless” charging capabilities. (I also have a Series 0 Space Black with Link Bracelet, I really like the weight of it for non-workout stuff). 

But, yes, those bands seem like more of a pain/not feasible to use with AirPower. What are we supposed to do,  slip one lug out every time we need to charge? I don’t think so...
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I really don’t know why you would need this.
    randominternetpersontokyojimu
  • Reply 10 of 34
    JFC_PA said:

Which just leaves my X. Not enough use. 
    Yeah, same here. I think mat will become more popular as current hardware phases out and is replaced with newer models. 
    Because I think it will really be a great device at the office and at home. 

• Reply 11 of 34
    This will be awesome.  I only need to charge while sleeping so just plop my devices on this and good to go in the morning.  Nice and clean.
    friedmudmavemufc
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Can’t wait to order one!
  • Reply 13 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    This will be awesome.  I only need to charge while sleeping so just plop my devices on this and good to go in the morning.  Nice and clean.
    FWIW excellent Qi-compatible charging mats are available now for under $40, even much less than that  at under $20 if you're OK with a well-reviewed Chinese branded one, and will still be usable in another spot after you buy your new Apple AirPower.
    edited February 2018 albegarc
  • Reply 14 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Well, your Series 1 seems to be out anyway, right? I don’t recall any mention of Watches other than the Series 3 getting “wireless” charging capabilities. (I also have a Series 0 Space Black with Link Bracelet, I really like the weight of it for non-workout stuff).
    Huh?  Then how do you charge your Series 0?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    gatorguy said:
    FWIW excellent Qi-compatible charging mats are available now for under $40, even much less than that  at under $20 if you're OK with a well-reviewed Chinese branded one, and will still be usable in another spot after you buy your new Apple AirPower.
    Yeah, there are plenty of 3rd party Qi chargers, but most will not work with the Apple Watch because the Watch has some proprietary charging specifications.  
    randominternetpersonalbegarcmavemufc
  • Reply 16 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    gatorguy said:
    Yeah those Chinese knockoff chargers always work out great for any product. Can you say...going up in flames? No thank you!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 34
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    Yeah those Chinese knockoff chargers always work out great for any product. Can you say...going up in flames? No thank you!
    Hey, I agree. I don't trust every Chinese-branded charger or cord either, even if many of them get 4-5 stars in reviews. So get a Belkin, still only $40.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    gatorguy said:
    Yeah, there are plenty of 3rd party Qi chargers, but most will not work with the Apple Watch because the Watch has some proprietary charging specifications.  
    Thanks for this.  I couldn't understand why this Apple product would be "highly anticipated" if it's nothing more than a large Qi pad (at a high price, presumably).
  • Reply 19 of 34
    gatorguy said:
    So the Apple Watch is an outlier, not strictly using the same Qi-compliant standard as the iPhone does?  Thanks for that then...
    but why not?
  • Reply 20 of 34
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    gatorguy said:
    Thanks for this.  I couldn't understand why this Apple product would be "highly anticipated" if it's nothing more than a large Qi pad (at a high price, presumably).
    It seems to "make Tim soo excited" etc.
    (as anything you can find at Ikea these days)
    edited February 2018