Personality model casts Apple CEO Tim Cook as 'Advisor,' emphasizing values

Posted:
in General Discussion
A psychological test once used by NASA categorizes Apple's Tim Cook as an "Advisor," based on linguistics analysis of 10 minutes of his public speaking, according to a "behavioral analytics" firm.

Going by the Process Communication Model, Advisors are people who use "formal, respectful, and values-driven" words to emphasize their personal convictions, Mattersight said. Those people will also allegedly take commitments seriously, are are said to be "dedicated, observant, and conscientious."

Advisors represent one of six personality archetypes in the PCM -- the others being Organizers, Connectors, Originals, Doers, and Dreamers -- but are said to represent just 10 percent of the population. They also allegedly skew 75 percent male, though two famous women pegged as Advisors include former U.S. Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, and former HP Enterprise CEO Meg Whitman.

Some notable Organizers include Tesla/SpaceX CEO Elon Musk and former U.S. President Barack Obama. Ex-Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer is an example of a Connector, while Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is an Original.

Among famous Doers are ex-Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, Virgin founder Richard Branson, and most prominently current U.S. President Donald Trump. Mattersight hasn't labeled any famous Dreamers.

Cook is known for a deliberate speaking style, as well as regularly promoting his and Apple's general values in keynotes and interviews. His stance has sometimes gotten the company into trouble, for instance running afoul of Trump and/or government agencies like the FBI and NSA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

Quibble: with 6 personality types the average percentage for each type is 17%. So the fact that 10% of the population are advisors is not unexpectedly low. The fact that they are mostly male is more intriguing.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Dreamers...  hmm, Steve Jobs, perhaps?  
    volcan
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    A psychological test once used by NASA categorizes Apple's Tim Cook as an "Advisor," based on linguistics analysis of 10 minutes of his public speaking, according to a "behavioral analytics" firm.
    While it may be true, I'd be curious about which 10 minutes of public speaking was analyzed. Was it spontaneous? A planned interview? A formal presentation? Maybe his speechwriter is the dreamer and he's is an organizer. Don't know, but it's worth a follow-up question.
    DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 4 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    These personality traits "tests" can be fun when taken with a grain of salt. The fact that this particular one doesn't have a "Psychotic Narcissist" category is rather telling and an obvious omission in terms of the current situation.

If you want to self-administer this type of test with friends, acquaintances, and prospective hires (hmm?) give this one a try: http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality

king editor the gratebonobob
  • Reply 5 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    If you want to evaluate someone on this level, never use public speaking as a model.

Most of what they say is the product of input from multiple parties or acutely tuned to the listener.

edited February 2018 randominternetpersonGG1radarthekatjony0lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Seems reasonable on the face of it.  Having said that, we already knew this and what difference does it make?  (Oh uh, I just used the same phrase as a famous "advisor" so maybe that's what I am.)  Weird that they have 6 categories and can't provide an example for one of the 6.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    dewme said:
    These personality traits "tests" can be fun when taken with a grain of salt. The fact that this particular one doesn't have a "Psychotic Narcissist" category is rather telling and an obvious omission in terms of the current situation.

If you want to self-administer this type of test with friends, acquaintances, and prospective hires (hmm?) give this one a try: http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality

You're link is to a Myers-Briggs assessment. That uses 4 dimensions and therefore groups everyone into one of 16 buckets. This model is different, with just 6 categories.
  • Reply 8 of 19

"Among famous Doers are... current U.S. President Donald Trump."

Donald Trump: "I am a doer of very biggly things, using my stable genius brain, which happens to be the most genius brain in the world... and there is no collusion!"

macky the mackystourquewatto_cobrachristopher126propodSpamSandwichGeorgeBMacjony0lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 19
    jurassic said:

Donald Trump: "I am a doer of very biggly things, using my stable genius brain, which happens to be the most genius brain in the world... and there is no collusion!"

Trump rocks, Obama sucks.
    boltsfan17
  • Reply 10 of 19
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Closed in 1...2...3
  • Reply 11 of 19
    He’s was probably a Doer.  From what I’ve seen/read he really wasn’t that nice a guy.  He had a vision and executed it regardless of the obstacles.  That doesn’t mean he didn’t do great things...

Dreamers are probably artist types.  I was thinking painters, but probably include writers and possibly some movie directors.   The most powerful people probably aren’t dreamers, so they’d be more difficult to identify.  And, if you could identify them they’d be unlikely to be will known.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    dewme said:

You're link is to a Myers-Briggs assessment. That uses 4 dimensions and therefore groups everyone into one of 16 buckets. This model is different, with just 6 categories.
    ... and this is a junk copy of MBTI. Psychometric assessments need to have extensive controls to be valid (or close to). If you are the type to buy a fake goods bc they are cheap, then this test is for you. Look for helpful interpretations of your personality dimensions in the facebook comments section...  ;)
  • Reply 13 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jurassic said:

Trump rocks, Obama sucks.
    Trump has rocks in his head.
    If he's such a hot shot he should publish his god damn taxes, you know the one his turd level child junior would bring him down if it got out.

Oh, and his former campaign manager Manafor, main campaign advisor Gates, national security advisor Flynn all under a crapload of indictment  and likely also state charges that little donnie can't commute, he can't even commute his own state charges...

edited February 2018 SoliDavidAlGregorymacky the mackystourqueradarthekatpropodGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Someone has done a personality test on a number of public figures using scripted pronouncements and wants to be taken seriously.

Seriously. This is embarrassing.
    lolliver
  • Reply 15 of 19
    jurassic said:

And To think I always thought he was just a narcissistic blowhard with a good helping of paranoia.

Must be why I never  went into Psychology or Psychiatry.
    macky the mackystourquechristopher126
  • Reply 16 of 19
    This personality analysis model is obviously complete rubbish. Hillary Clinton was proven a crafty, backstabbing, duplicitous liar, not "formal, respectful, and values-driven".
  • Reply 17 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Steve was unique because he was so multi-faceted....
    Yes, he could dream, and he did.
    But could also do, and he did...
    ...  His excellence was being able to translate his dreams into a truly exceptional reality through attention to detail, passion and hardwork.
    lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 19
    dewme said:

4 of 16 buckets -- one in each category
  • Reply 19 of 19
    An advisor is probably what Apple needed with the passing of Steve...  His choice of Tim as his successor shows his vision/dream for his company as well as his ability to do -- to execute that dream.

Steve could not have been replaced by a Steve lookalike.  Instead, Tim is managing a collection of dreamers and doers and steering them in the right direction.

Once again, we see the genius of Jobs at work making this a world a better place.
    lolliver