Apple Pay used by estimated 127M users globally, but analyst claims only 16 percent of iPh...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Use it all the time, especially groceries. Can’t esit until gas stations in my region finally start implementing it. 
    edited February 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 42 of 58
    A continuing annoyance with retailers in the US is their insistence in requiring a signature with the use of ApplePay. Completely unnecessary and undermines the security built into the system. Maddening.
    That’s not a US regional policy, it’s a merchant issue. Mine don’t. 

It's often not even a merchant issue, but a card issuer one.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 43 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    A continuing annoyance with retailers in the US is their insistence in requiring a signature with the use of ApplePay. Completely unnecessary and undermines the security built into the system. Maddening.
    That’s not a US regional policy, it’s a merchant issue. Mine don’t. 

It's often not even a merchant issue, but a card issuer one.
    Absolutely correct, but beginning in April this year that requirement starts going away even when presenting a chip card. 
    https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/signatures-soon-may-not-be-required.php
  • Reply 44 of 58
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Yeah its a sad world for apple pay users when cashiers dont know if it works and most iphone users aren't sure where you can use or when. The beauty of Samsung Pay is that it works everywhere, no need to guess or look for signs to see if its compatible. No need for retail stores to buy new registers that are compatible, every register within the last 40 years is compatible already, makes life a lot easier when you know it will work no matter where you want to use it.
    The ugliness part of Samsung Pay is that it doesn't provide anymore security than flashing your credit card around....  They sell it on its so called convenience feature.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    entropys said:
    For Apple Pay to become truly universal and not dependent on the banks’ glacial decision making and internal empire/turf protection, Apple needs to cut a deal with Visa and MasterCard for its own virtual cards, paid through iTunes accounts.

Apple needs to control the whole experience.
    If your card doesn't support ApplePay then get one that does.  Most, non-store cards do...
    Apple is not in the credit card business...
  • Reply 46 of 58
    bushman4 said:

Apple Pay staggering along because most stores don't accept it. Here in NYC where stores are plentiful many big ones don't accept it like Target, Home Depot, CVS etc.

Small stores , few accept it. This is due to the NFC terminal they need to accept it and needless to say the small stores dont have the newer terminals.

Hopefully this all changes in the future as Apple Pay is an asset and convenience to have

That's why I stopped shopping at 'Target, Home Depot, CVS etc."
    My credit information was already stolen from Target once.   They had a chance to provide me with a level of security with Apple Pay but decided that collecting my personal information was more important to them.

Home Depot has been implicate in a number of shop lifting scams where they accuse people of shop lifting and, when they are cleared by the police and/or courts, then proceed to lay a lay suit on them:  "Send us $2,000 and we will dismiss the law suit"...     So, I am supposed to trust them with my financial information?  I don't think so...

CVS sided with Walmart to fight ApplePay in favor of their own failed methodology.   I shop at Walgreens now - and like it better in all ways...

Essentially, I have found those organizations who have spurned ApplePay to be less than customer friendly organizations.   I have noticed that those organizations who accept ApplePay tend to value their customers more than those that don't.   So, I shop where me and my business are valued...
  • Reply 47 of 58
    gatorguy said:
    loopless said:
    The #1 problem is that although many terminals support NFC payments the staff have no idea and it is not clear whether it does or not. So rather than looking like a boob holding their phone near the terminal and hoping for something to happen, most people use cards. It drives me crazy at my local grocery store seeing all the iPhone owners muck around with inserting a credit card waiting for the remove card beep-beep while I just  wave my phone. It amazes me that the grocery store does nor promote Apple Pay in a big way as it saves so much time at checkout.
    Apple Pay works at all Aldi locations I have been to. Shop there to get cheaper and better food, instead of walmart.

Well it's SUPPOSED to work. Most of the time I can tap and pay there but keeping those readers in service doesn't seem to be a high priority. 
    True. But for Aldi, at least, I can see why they do not have the highest priority for keeping up with things like that. It is an unnecessary cost, and they probably delay its servicing, until the very end, when it becomes necessary and unavoidable. That is why their prices are lower.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Yeah its a sad world for apple pay users when cashiers dont know if it works and most iphone users aren't sure where you can use or when. The beauty of Samsung Pay is that it works everywhere, no need to guess or look for signs to see if its compatible. No need for retail stores to buy new registers that are compatible, every register within the last 40 years is compatible already, makes life a lot easier when you know it will work no matter where you want to use it.
    The ugliness part of Samsung Pay is that it doesn't provide anymore security than flashing your credit card around....  They sell it on its so called convenience feature.
    Wrong. I won't bother with a link as you might not believe it anyway, but easy enough to find out for yourself how Samsung Pay security compares to 'flashing your credit card around" or using GooglePay/ApplePay. You should do so before making blanket proclamations about it again. Misinformation doesn't help anyone.  
    edited February 2018 singularity
  • Reply 49 of 58
    I find using my Apple Watch is a LOT quicker & easier than my iPhone 6+ for ApplePay.   It takes maybe 1/3 the time -- and no need for a fingerprint.

Comparing AW to iPhone for ApplePay is like comparing iPhone to a chip card for payment.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    bushman4 said:

Apple Pay staggering along because most stores don't accept it. Here in NYC where stores are plentiful many big ones don't accept it like Target, Home Depot, CVS etc.

Small stores , few accept it. This is due to the NFC terminal they need to accept it and needless to say the small stores dont have the newer terminals.

Hopefully this all changes in the future as Apple Pay is an asset and convenience to have

My credit information was already stolen from Target once.   They had a chance to provide me with a level of security with Apple Pay but decided that collecting my personal information was more important to them.

CVS sided with Walmart to fight ApplePay in favor of their own failed methodology.   I shop at Walgreens now - and like it better in all ways...
    And Walgreens would NEVER harvest your Apple Pay transaction data... Oh wait.
    https://www.retaildive.com/ex/mobilecommercedaily/walgreens-creates-efficient-in-store-experience-with-apple-pay-rewards-integration

Nor try to monetize your private prescription records... Would they?
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-walgreen-prescriptions/walgreen-accused-of-selling-patient-data-idUSTRE72A83I20110311

At the end of the day it really matters not who you deal with. The chances are very high they "know who you are", are willing to share, and/or partnered with someone else who will tell them. Heck with beacons now in place in many locations they even know exactly where you're standing, and quite happy to do quid pro quo sharing of it.  This might get your attention:
    https://inmarket.com/

Gosh , I wonder what the beacon interaction default is on your iPhone? Oh, it's on. Why would they do that? 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 51 of 58
    gatorguy said:
    Wrong. I won't bother with a link as you might not believe it anyway, but easy enough to find out for yourself how Samsung Pay security compares to 'flashing your credit card around" or using GooglePay/ApplePay. You should do so before making blanket proclamations about it again. Misinformation doesn't help anyone.  
    True -- if you believe the sales pitch....
  • Reply 52 of 58
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    anton zuykov said:
    Apple Pay works at all Aldi locations I have been to. Shop there to get cheaper and better food, instead of walmart.

You need to work on your reading comprehension and on not being a dick.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I had to repeatedly train different McDonald's workers to press the credit button on the big screen, then hold out the keypad, no, not the scanner, the keypad, yes, thank you. And, no, "I'm paying with my Watch" doesn't mean I'm trying to trade it for a chicken salad.
    I've done that dance so many times I feel like Fred Astaire. Also have to teach them to hold the scanner out a little further than the window sill. And 'No, not apple pie, Apple pay'. Seriously. I'd like to get one of those Apple Pay decals to hang on my driver's side window.

My local Safeway had absolutely no signage that they take any kind of contactless payment, and they're POS terminals also have no indication. Your Watch or phone is held near the display, while another business has an area with the radiation waves embossed for NFC payment.

AP worked great there for the first two months (that I knew about it). Now the readers are acting up but I don't mind annoying the store manager with my complaints. 

It's great to see Apple touting how many banks and CUs are using AP. But how 'bout focusing on getting more stores to use it.

CVS probably never will so I use Walgreens. Does Home Depot currently use anybody's NFC payment?
    GeorgeBMacking editor the grate
  • Reply 54 of 58
    gatorguy said:
    bushman4 said:

https://www.retaildive.com/ex/mobilecommercedaily/walgreens-creates-efficient-in-store-experience-with-apple-pay-rewards-integration

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-walgreen-prescriptions/walgreen-accused-of-selling-patient-data-idUSTRE72A83I20110311

At the end of the day it really matters not who you deal with. The chances are very high they "know who you are", are willing to share, and/or partnered with someone else who will tell them. Heck with beacons now in place in many locations they even know exactly where you're standing, and quite happy to do quid pro quo sharing of it.  This might get your attention:

Gosh , I wonder what the beacon interaction default is on your iPhone? Oh, it's on. Why would they do that? 
    Half truths and false equivalencies are the bastion of a weak argument -- and a weak mind.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    gatorguy said:
    bushman4 said:

Half truths and false equivalencies are the bastion of a weak argument -- and a weak mind.
    So don't make them.
    singularity
  • Reply 56 of 58
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    bushman4 said:

So don't make them.
    Great retort!   (For a first grader).  Thanks for proving my point.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    gatorguy said:
    bushman4 said:

You do realize you posted this half truth:
    "The ugliness part of Samsung Pay is that it doesn't provide anymore security than flashing your credit card around....  They sell it on its so called convenience feature."

Then followed up to explain why you don't want to shop where they don't accept Apple Pay by using this false equivalency:
    "Home Depot has been implicate in a number of shop lifting scams where they accuse people of shop lifting and, when they are cleared by the police and/or courts, then proceed to lay a lay suit on them:  "Send us $2,000 and we will dismiss the law suit"...     So, I am supposed to trust them with my financial information?  I don't think so..."

and you're saying this is evidence of a weak mind. Well OK then...  LOL. 
    You should have just dropped it. 
    edited February 2018