Chinese discount phone makers were supposed to rival Apple's iPhone globally. Instead, the...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    avon b7 said:
    tzeshan said:
    The Chinese smartphone makers try to copy every new feature of iPhone in order to justify their "flagship" smartphones are competitive to iPhone. Unfortunately they are falling behind in the last two years. The iPhone 7 Plus introduced dual rear camera which is popular. One the selling points of Chinese smartphone is always they shoot better picture than iPhone. But after more than one year the Android world is still not able to produce a dual camera as good as the iPhone.  The examples are Samsung S8 Edge and Google Pixel 2 Plus. Then last year Apple introduced highly accurate FaceID in iPhone X. Several component makers are trying to create a FaceID compatible kit. It seems the MWC no smartphone has FaceID compatible smartphone to show off. So it seems an Android FaceID is still far off. So without two very important new features in iPhone, the Chinese smartphone makers stopped being able to increase their sales every in the home country. 
    The iPhone 7 Plus wasn't the first dual camera phone.

It was the only Apple phone that had dual cameras for a year, though. For a while, one of the big features of that phone (Portrait Mode) was in beta.

A portrait mode equivalent already existed on the phone that had dual cameras before the iPhone 7 Plus.

The manufacturer had a whole family of dual camera phones out before Apple shipped its second dual camera model. I'm not sure what you are referring to by 'better' camera. 

How do these photos look to you?

https://petapixel.com/2016/05/31/review-huawei-p9-phone-camera/

They are from a dual camera phone and months before the first Apple dual camera phone even existed.

'Android FaceID' is not 'far off'. It already exists and was even revealed just weeks after Apple revealed FaceID. The roadmap had it scheduled for Q118 and AFAIK, that is still the plan although the one I'm thinking about won't appear at MWC itself but the following month (and have three cameras FWIW). That doesn't rule out someone else announcing such a feature at MWC though. I can think of two candidates.
    Only a few short paragraphs from a comparison with an iPhone 6?!?!

"In terms of image quality, the Huawei P9 delivers images that have a touch too much contrast and saturation for my taste. They look like the work of someone who just discovered the use of curves in Photoshop.

Coupled with the rather noticeable noise reduction and a bit of smearing, it lends the images a digital look. Compared side-by-side with Apple, the iPhone 6 images look slightly washed out (note: the current iPhone 6S has improved contrast and resolution over the 6), but they look more natural than the P9 photos. Some people will prefer the P9’s punchier delivery though, so it’s a matter of taste. 

The Huawei P9 also has a tendency to veer on the warmer side in terms of colour balance. Although it sometimes helps to bring a more pleasant rendition to the scene, I prefer a more accurate white balance."

..... Yyyyeeeaaah.

watto_cobranetmagejony0lolliver
  • Reply 22 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    cornchip said:
    avon b7 said:
    tzeshan said:
    The Chinese smartphone makers try to copy every new feature of iPhone in order to justify their "flagship" smartphones are competitive to iPhone. Unfortunately they are falling behind in the last two years. The iPhone 7 Plus introduced dual rear camera which is popular. One the selling points of Chinese smartphone is always they shoot better picture than iPhone. But after more than one year the Android world is still not able to produce a dual camera as good as the iPhone.  The examples are Samsung S8 Edge and Google Pixel 2 Plus. Then last year Apple introduced highly accurate FaceID in iPhone X. Several component makers are trying to create a FaceID compatible kit. It seems the MWC no smartphone has FaceID compatible smartphone to show off. So it seems an Android FaceID is still far off. So without two very important new features in iPhone, the Chinese smartphone makers stopped being able to increase their sales every in the home country. 

It was the only Apple phone that had dual cameras for a year, though. For a while, one of the big features of that phone (Portrait Mode) was in beta.

A portrait mode equivalent already existed on the phone that had dual cameras before the iPhone 7 Plus.

The manufacturer had a whole family of dual camera phones out before Apple shipped its second dual camera model. I'm not sure what you are referring to by 'better' camera. 

They are from a dual camera phone and months before the first Apple dual camera phone even existed.

'Android FaceID' is not 'far off'. It already exists and was even revealed just weeks after Apple revealed FaceID. The roadmap had it scheduled for Q118 and AFAIK, that is still the plan although the one I'm thinking about won't appear at MWC itself but the following month (and have three cameras FWIW). That doesn't rule out someone else announcing such a feature at MWC though. I can think of two candidates.

"In terms of image quality, the Huawei P9 delivers images that have a touch too much contrast and saturation for my taste. They look like the work of someone who just discovered the use of curves in Photoshop.

Coupled with the rather noticeable noise reduction and a bit of smearing, it lends the images a digital look. Compared side-by-side with Apple, the iPhone 6 images look slightly washed out (note: the current iPhone 6S has improved contrast and resolution over the 6), but they look more natural than the P9 photos. Some people will prefer the P9’s punchier delivery though, so it’s a matter of taste. 

The Huawei P9 also has a tendency to veer on the warmer side in terms of colour balance. Although it sometimes helps to bring a more pleasant rendition to the scene, I prefer a more accurate white balance."

..... Yyyyeeeaaah.

Yyyyeeeaaah, - simply preference, taste. Something wholly subjective.

Of course, you could just shoot RAW or actually use the pro settings to tune things to you liking.

You could neither shoot RAW or use a pro iOS setting on an iPhone 6.

In an iPhone 7 Plus, Portrait Mode would not even let you take a photo if it considered the scene didn't meet its requirements.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cornchip said:
    avon b7 said:
    tzeshan said:

..... Yyyyeeeaaah.

The problem with "preferring" is that if the picture is does not come out neutral with the largest dynamic range, your option in correcting it back, if its even possible (possibly not if the actual white point was not recorded anywhere and there is no white in the scene.

Same thing with too much contrast, saturation, sharpening, etc. Some of those may be correctable to actual shooting conditions, most are not. To avoid that, someone could just shoot raw and it is there that's you'd actually see the performance of the camera before the "prettying".

That's why filmmakers shoot flat / neutral and with log format and do grading afterward. You want to capture as much of the variation in light and color as possible and not crush it either way.
    muthuk_vanalingamlolliver
  • Reply 24 of 35
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Chinese discount phone makers were supposed to rival Apple's iPhone globally.
    Funny how DED made that judgement when most of them aren't even selling Globally Yet. Yes there are only a few Chinese Brands left, LeCo was never a player in Smartphone race even within China.

Apart from Huawei, which has many patents within 5G, and some within LTE 4G that gets cross patents license agreement, the others have yet to make deals. That is BBK ( VIVO & OPPO ), Xiaomi.

Not saying Apple wont succeed.

We have yet to see the impact, but I think if Huawei made a Global debut then biggest loser will be Samsung rather then Apple.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Is DED worried about iPhone sales or something?
    singularityksecmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Whenever companies compete on price alone, their competition is practically limitless. Apple has wisely chosen not to compete on price.
    tmayanonconformistksec
  • Reply 27 of 35
    saltyzip said:
    coolfactor said:
    Android loyalists can shout as loud as the want from the mountaintops. At the end of the day, it's just a good-enough operating system
    A good enough operating system that runs  on nearly 90% smartphones worldwide. I think you are underestimating how good android really is. I remember the day when apple never discounted iphones, but since last year discounts are getting bigger and bigger meaning competition is tuff which is good for us consumers.

If you read the article below apple have issues in the core markets, that's the real story:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-ios-market-share-us-europe-japan-2018-1
    It's funny how Android trolls can be spotted usually by their first sentence...

Android is GARBAGE, no and's, if's, or but's about it. There are MOUNTAINS of data to this effect, so do yourself a favour and just stop now, before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

Maybe Android is garbage but I can't go back to iPhone. I'm not one of these crazy fans who can't appreciate other developers. I like my iPad mini for surfing, android phone for the customization options and more relaxed apps, and surface pro laptop. I used to be all apple but it's sad to see them getting passed up nowadays.

MacBook with touch bar instead of making the whole screen touch capable? Removing touch id instead of moving it to the back of the phone? That Notch on iPhone x is horrible. Steve Jobs was all about the beauty of design and no way he would've ok that. If that notch is so beautiful why not add it to the iPad and iMac? Ios 11 is the worst os they have ever released with so many damn bugs. For a company who is woven in music like how Apple is, removing the headphone jack was just awful. If they have real courage they would've removed it from all of their laptops and iPads too. 

Sorry to burst your bubbles but apple isn't that fantastic like how you're making it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 35
    tzeshan said:

avon b7 said:
    tzeshan said:

I think one of Google Android strategy is to use sea of Android smartphones to bury iPhone. To make it harder for Apple to claim innovation the new features will appear in this and that Android smartphones.  Even though they don't sell because of poor quality. 

An no. The truth is, android being open source allows it to innovate at a faster pace. If you look at all the features iphone history vs Android you'll see Apple being far far behind. Their ecosystem is fantastic but in terms advance innovation, Apple is just playing catchup. Some of their choice are just maddening. Do I have to swipe away every single app to remove it? Just copy android, have a remove all button for clearing all the apps. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 35
    tzeshan said:

Face id suck! Everyone I know who owns iPhone x hated it. They all want touch id back even if it's on the back of the phone. FACE ID SUCKS! 
    You tell me if you asked 100 iphone users, most of them would rather have face id over touch Id? Let's be honest here. 
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Brandon916 said:. 
    Do I have to swipe away every single app to remove it? Just copy android, have a remove all button for clearing all the apps. 
    I assume you mean notifications because a button to uninstall all apps would just be stupid.

On an iPhone, force press the X to clear notifications for a day, touch Clear All Notifications, done.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 31 of 35
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    tzeshan said:

Face id suck! Everyone I know who owns iPhone x hated it. They all want touch id back even if it's on the back of the phone. FACE ID SUCKS! 
    You tell me if you asked 100 iphone users, most of them would rather have face id over touch Id? Let's be honest here. 
    We used to get quality trolls around here; now, not so much.

Isn't there. like, some online courses available out of Russia to help you troll better?
    jony0watto_cobraanantksundaramlolliver
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Apple is doomed no matter whether the Chinese smart phone makers succeed or not /heavy sarcasm.

I have read so much FUD about Apple in the last 5 years that I cease to read certain sources.  The Verge against Apple?  What's new?  The Register (of UK), Brian Chen of NYT, Shira Ovide of Bloomberg, etc.  The list keeps getting longer and longer.

I am a finance guy.  The reason I think that there are so many hit pieces is because it is profitable to short Apple and then buy it back after the rumor hit the news media.  It won't work for Amazon because that stock keeps going up.  But Apple stock is really susceptible to this type of FUD manipulation.  Hence we see all these stupid pundit rumormongering.  
    jony0watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 33 of 35
    horvatic said:
    Yea there's a lot of media who want to see Apple fail in so many ways. Here's more proof that cheap copies doesn't make a great deal and Apple will usually win out eventually. Poor build quality, lousy software and cheap components don't make it in the real world as an iPhone competitor.

Android loyalists can shout as loud as the want from the mountaintops. At the end of the day, it's just a good-enough operating system, and will never been as well-aligned as iOS. Just a shame so many Android developers bring junk apps to the platform.
    Android is far more than a "good enough OS". Android is better than iOS in many ways just like iOS is better in many different ways. They're both amazing OS' with their strengths and weaknesses. 

There are plenty of great Android apps too. It looks like you haven't looked at Android in years to be honest...
    muthuk_vanalingamsingularity
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Is DED worried about iPhone sales or something?
    Whenever he writes about the competitors like this he is... You can always know when a competitor is doing well when DED decides to write a hit piece on them.
    muthuk_vanalingamsingularity
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Years ago my father thought e-Machines would be a good stock to own. Cheaper is better. I bought Apple. Selling something for nearly nothing can work, but not when function and experience matter.