Tim Cook publicly commemorates the 63rd birthday of Steve Jobs with a Tweet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2018
Apple CEO Tim Cook used Twitter to celebrate Steve Jobs' birthday, using one of the founder's own quotes.

The Tweet by Cook was simple, and was only the latest in a series of commemorations of Jobs' life in the last year by the CEO and by Apple itself.

Remembering Steve, our friend and leader, on his 63rd birthday: "The thing that bound us together at Apple was the ability to make things that were going to change the world." We are forever bound to that goal -- and to you, Steve. pic.twitter.com/rDvzR8s2F8

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Apple started a year-long series of Jobs remembrances on Feb. 22, 2017 by naming the theater on the Apple Park headquarters facility the "Steve Jobs Theater." Cook name-dropped Jobs throughout the year on assorted interviews.

When the Steve Jobs Theater opened for the iPhone 8 and iPhone X event, Cook led the presentation with a short video celebrating Jobs.

Steve Jobs died on Oct. 5, 2011 at 56 years of age.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    More power to you Tim Cook to be so humble being head of world's most powerful and admirable company.
    StrangeDaysjony0MacProbrian greenchasmGeorgeBMacDAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    A “commemoration” is a tweet? 

Society is doomed.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    entropys said:
    A “commemoration” is a tweet? 

Society is doomed.

commemorates

“recall and show respect for (someone or something)”

But I get it: must...crap...on Apple...
    edited February 2018 jony0mwhiteMacPronetmagechasmGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    It was Appleinsider that called it a commemoration, not Apple.
    A church service is a commemoration, a minute‘s silence is a commemoration, unveiling a plaque is a commemoration, a tweet is not. 

It’s as bad as using the word “sharing” when someone puts out a press release or posts an article or YouTube video.
    Americans are always cheapening language. Just. Stop. It.

/grumpy old man rant.
    edited February 2018 brian green2old4fun
  • Reply 5 of 14
    entropys said:
    A church service is a commemoration, a minute‘s silence is a commemoration, unveiling a plaque is a commemoration, a tweet is not. 

It’s as bad as using the word “sharing” when someone puts out a press release or posts an article or YouTube video.

/grumpy old man rant.
    Regardless, why does a positive always have to turn into a negative here? Jesus let it go! 
    jony0mwhiteMacPronetmageGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    entropys said:

/grumpy old man rant.
    I'm a grumpy old man and I don't agree with you at all........
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Who else also remembers exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news Jobs died?
    JinTechradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Who else also remembers exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news Jobs died?
    I was on my way to school (college) and I froze in my tracks. I immediately locked up and honestly almost broke out in tears. I couldn’t believe it. We all knew he was sick but it was such a hard to come to moment. I was/and still am such an Apple die hard. Memories of meeting him when I worked at Apple, as well as memories of everything he had done in his life flooded my memories the day and several after.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    While Steve has often been portrayed as having a giant ego, when I watch him and listen to him I see the opposite:  A man proud of his creations but acutely aware of his weaknesses.  A man who carried a knowledge that he had made many mistakes -- and would make more in the future.   That humility was the foundation of his greatness.

It is reassuring to see Tim carry that humility forward -- particularly in light of how many other CEOs are blind to how their giant egos are running their organizations into the ground.

Every great leader I have ever known has been truly and genuinely humble and aware of their weaknesses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    mwhite said:
    entropys said:

/grumpy old man rant.
    I'm a grumpy old man and I don't agree with you at all........
    I'm a grumpy old man, and I chose "commemorates" in accordance with the Oxford dictionary, so... I don't agree, and neither does Oxford.
    edited February 2018 dacharwatto_cobraanome
  • Reply 11 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I was at home working when the news hit the web. Time just...stopped. It was one of those things I knew was coming, but when it happened it was still a shock. I never met Jobs, but he had a huge impact on who I am, where I've gone, and what I do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    entropys said:

/grumpy old man rant.

Except that, as StrangeDays pointed out, they didn't call it a commemoration, they said Tim commemorated Steve. A "commemoration" could arguably be held to imply the sort of thing you mean, but the verb "to commemorate" doesn't. It's the same as how remembering to buy some milk can't really be described as a remembrance of unbought milk, since we associate the noun "remembrance" with things like deceased relatives or fallen soldiers.

Anyway, it's nice to see a thread about Tim and Steve that for once hasn't degenerated into calls for Tim to resign, and claims Steve would never have done the same.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Thanks Tim!
    GeorgeBMacchristopher126
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Class.