Tune HomePod's sound using equalizers in iOS and macOS

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    EQ data is not stored IN the file as other metadata is. In iTunes it is stored in the database. So in case of the Homepod, they will probably be side-loaded.
    These 'Homepod EQ settings' are supposedly new as Apple has stated at some point (no source here, sorry) that they uses AI/ML to make optimal EQ/enhancement settings for all tracks in Apple Music. Again, I have heard nothing more about this and I can't find it on Twitter due to the lack of good search there :(

We'll have to wait for more extensive reviews, where people compare the same song on Apple Music playback versus Spotify over Airplay. And measure it as well as saying something subjective..
    lorin schultz
  • Reply 82 of 85
    Did some more searches..found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/7x6ene/is_there_any_difference_in_audio_quality_between/

Rumors unfounded perhaps?
    Great subreddit for Homepod related stuff btw..

lorin schultz
  • Reply 83 of 85
    michelb76 said:
    EQ data is not stored IN the file as other metadata is. In iTunes it is stored in the database. So in case of the Homepod, they will probably be side-loaded.
    These 'Homepod EQ settings' are supposedly new as Apple has stated at some point (no source here, sorry) that they uses AI/ML to make optimal EQ/enhancement settings for all tracks in Apple Music. Again, I have heard nothing more about this and I can't find it on Twitter due to the lack of good search there :(

We'll have to wait for more extensive reviews, where people compare the same song on Apple Music playback versus Spotify over Airplay. And measure it as well as saying something subjective..
    Thanks Michel! As I'm sure you saw, Dick Applebaum responded with his take (or speculation?) on how this works while you were "offline." I'm hoping he'll point us to where he got his information.

I appreciate you sharing what you know so far.
  • Reply 84 of 85
    scafe2 said:

Well after all the hype and excellent reviews, I must say I disagree, the HomePod sounds ok but not great, there is too much bass, I think there is a real need to be able to make adjustments.,  but after reading several forums I seem to be on my own here , so do I have a faulty HP or am I doing something wrong? is it the position / placement in my room or what it is placed on affecting it.,, because the rumbling / droning Bass is overpowering 

By the way I like bass on my Bose speaker and BW Zeppelin but must say I am not liking it so much the Homepod 

I must agree. My first HP had dead tweeters, so I thought that was why it sounded like a sock in it's mouth. Second one the tweeters were working, but the mid bass is really pumped and bloated (classic 'table' surface; better on top of water cooler- until it falls). I did some casual measurements, and it looks all the world like the Hip Hop iTunes EQ setting as the default voicing. It's way too heavy handed for me. Measuring it was tricky- one only has a few seconds before the HP 'fixes' itself (it is EQ'ing in real time, after all). I used Roon to send it some test frequencies and tunes that were set with the Roon built in DSP- namely: 180 Hz, -5.5db, Q of 5; 500 Hz -1.5 db, Q of 1, and 1800 Hz +2db high shelving, Q of .5. This got the the thing back to a more real sound. That was the point where the wife stopped unplugging it or threatening to throw it at me. My hope was to use it with Apple Music, but with no way to 'fix' the horrible mid bass (NOT bass- MID bass!) I gave up and returned it and canceled AM. My hope was to have 6 of these in 3 rooms once the stereo thing is solved. Maybe apple will allow some method to EQ Apple Music on the HP, in which case I'd make another attempt. Interesting asides: 1) EQ is a touchy thing- casual attempts seem to be foiled by the HP tiny brain trying to undo what I just did (you have about 10 seconds or so); a little bit of chasing the tail. 2) My parrot hates the thing! Other sources don't faze him, but the HP drives him crazy. Maybe it's a low frequency thing, or Apple is using a real high frequency to 'examine' the room to set EQ. Don't know- but he does! 3) You can use the laptop/desktop iTunes EQ to lower the 250Hz band, but that's too 'wide'- you really need to be at 180Hz with a Q of 5 or so. However, It will lose the convenience of the AM connection. 4) Anyway, if you want to know what the HP sounds like, connect iTunes to a 'HiFi' of some sort (not internal desktop/laptop speakers!), and set the iTunes EQ to Hip Hop. If you like that, then you'll be happy with it.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 85 of 85
    Bobby McGeeBobby McGee Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It looks to me like macOS has neutralized the equalizer when the HomePod is the selected speaker. All the presets are "flat", and I can drag the little sliders all over and not hear a change in the sound. This makes sense, if Apple believes their auto-equalization is ideal - don't let the user screw it up.