Apple Australia airs four wedding-themed 'First Dance' ads for iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2018
Apple this weekend premiered four new "Shot on iPhone" ads for the iPhone X in Australia, all themed around first dances at weddings.

The spots are also focused exclusively around gay and lesbian couples, specifically "Antony and Ron," "Nick and Rob," and "Meg and Anne-Marie." Three are 15 seconds long, while the fourth is a full minute and splices several weddings together. All four commercials are set to a Courtney Barnett cover of INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart."

The LGBT theme was likely chosen to reflect the very recent legalization of gay marriage in Australia, made official Dec. 9.

Notably the ads make no reference to specific features, such as 4K support or twin lenses. Many of Apple's iPhone X ads have concentrated on its edge-to-edge OLED screen or the front-facing TrueDepth camera, which supports Face ID and animoji.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Idiotic activism.
    macseekeraegeananalogjackmike54freethinkingcgWerksholmstockdalbegarcapplesandbannanastallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Idiotic activism.
    Does love scare you?
    StrangeDaysronnphilboogie
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Idiotic activism.
    Does love scare you?
    No but putting out ads that leave 50% of people triggered is not a good thing for Apple.

macseekerjeffharrisholmstockdalbegarc
  • Reply 4 of 57
    I am sure this campaign is recognizing the recent change in Australia to allow same sex marriage as well as it being released during the Sydney Mardi Gras festival. 
    leavingthebiggEsquireCatsravnorodomStrangeDaysronnfastasleepphilboogie
  • Reply 5 of 57
    _rudders_rudders Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The timing of the ads is in the week leading up to Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian (LGBITQQ) Mardi Gras. 40th anniversary this year.
    kiltedgreendouglas baileyStrangeDaysronnphilboogie
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Idiotic activism.
    Does love scare you?
    No but putting out ads that leave 50% of people triggered is not a good thing for Apple.

Hmmm. I'm not sure what you mean by saying that "they leave 50% of people triggered", but Apple clearly disagree. I think they are joyous and human.
    StrangeDaysronnfastasleepphilboogie
  • Reply 7 of 57
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Idiotic activism.
    Does love scare you?

At best it's 38% triggered, and probably substantially less than that, since even the front person for the "No" campaign went to his sister's wedding (to another woman, just to be clear). Most people who responded against gay marriage in the survey (not a vote, a survey) probably won't have PTSD flashbacks to a time they were forced to participate in a gay wedding, anyway. The word "triggered" gets bandied about a lot by people, usually trying to devalue it, when it means a specific thing relating to Post Traumatic Stress, and doesn't just mean seeing something you don't want to see.

Anyway, next there'll be complaints about the Apple Employees for Sexual Freedom float in the parade.

(Note: I don't know if there's actually an "Apple Employees for Sexual Freedom" float in the Mardi Gras this year. I kind of hope there is, just because it will annoy a certain type of person, and I also think it's something Apple would support.)

EsquireCats
  • Reply 8 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    This thread should be interesting.. And by interesting, I mean a shit-fest.
    macxpressshrave10StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Idiotic activism.
    Does love scare you?

You are not using the specific term "triggered" properly, nor do your views represent anything near 50% of people's opinions. Apple embraces these views among their employees, customers, and people at large. If a large quantity of people objected to these views I find it hard to believe they'd still be the largest and most successful company on the planet.
    edited February 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    slurpy said:
    This thread should be interesting.. And by interesting, I mean a shit-fest.
    Yeah, I'm taking notes.
    macxpressEsquireCatscgWerks
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Idiotic activism.
    Activism?

Any activism that took place, took place before same-sex weddings were possible in Australia.
    ronn
  • Reply 12 of 57
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Idiotic activism.
    reality has a "liberal" bias, deal with it, or gtfo of reality and go to mars.
    StrangeDaysronn
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Idiotic activism.
    Does love scare you?

Oh, if that is true, if 50% of people are still "triggered" about same sex marriage (in 2018!), then we need more, many more ads like these. Thanks Apple!
    StrangeDaysronntokyojimufastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Everybody take a minute and re-read the commenting guidelines. Keep it civil.
    macseekerEsquireCatsMacPro
  • Reply 15 of 57
    WOW. Cook is really shoving this stuff down people’s throats. 

Apple is about products and services. Not about Cooks preferred lifestyle. Stop using the company as a personal preference platform. 
    edited February 2018 mike54holmstockdtallest skil
  • Reply 16 of 57
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    You must be tolerant and respectful of private life choices that differ from your own, and act in a non-discriminatory way. But thats not the same thing as saying as one has to personally agree with or condone such life choices. Because of this, ads like this will be appreciably divisive, as would political themed ads. This has nothing to do with being pig-headed vs. enlightened either.
    mike54cgWerksracerhomie3jeffharris
  • Reply 17 of 57
    thrang said:
    You must be tolerant and respectful of private life choices that differ from your own, and act in a non-discriminatory way. 
    I would disagree with the first part. That would imply tolerance can be forced, which I don’t think it can. Forced tolerance is just conformity. True tolerance is a free individual choice. Personally I’d prefer if people were tolerant, but I’m not going to insist, that they must be.
    edited February 2018 mike54cgWerkswatto_cobraholmstockd
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Idiotic activism.
    Does love scare you?
    FFS. Nevertheless two husbands doing some horizontal folk dancing is sort of kinda funny.
  • Reply 19 of 57

Apple is about products and services. Not about Cooks preferred lifestyle. Stop using the company as a personal preference platform. 
    I don’t think he does. Most Apple commercials have very little to do with Cook’s preferences and world, as they typically feature people half Cook’s age (or younger) and their world (music, fashion, interests).
    leavingthebiggMacPro
  • Reply 20 of 57

If it was a man and a woman getting married in the ad would you consider them shoving heterosexual marriage down our throats? Or mixed couples in ads? Not everybody has the same "preferred lifestyle" as you so once in a while if you watch TV you might be exposed to something new.
    kirkgrayStrangeDaysronnfastasleepphilboogie
This discussion has been closed.