Samsung launches Galaxy S9, S9 Plus with greater focus on smartphone photography

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    So it is the S8 with a better camera and s/w to create a (poor mans) Animoji?  Is Samsung giving up?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The iPhone has been out for a decade now and the press and most folks still insist to compare Samsung to Apple iPhones more than any other brands. The real competition for Samsung is not Apple anymore, its more Google itself now with its own line of Phones. Even tho the Pixel only sold 4 million last year, i bet the majority of those phones were from Samsung users. If Google even starts to sell more slowly each year those aren’t Apple users switching those are other Premium Android flagship users. At this point people are locked into there ecosystems of either Apple or Android, and i can buy only on iOS phone, where Adroid you can switch anytime. Samsung just loves to take shots at Apple and bring them up in commercials or keynotes wherever they are because it make them seem like there on par with the iPhones if they keep comparing it to Apple its keeps them in the news. I almost think samsung want to fanboys to argue and rile them up like the notch commercial they ran for months last fall during the holdidays. I mean at this point, thats not going to attract Apple users by making fun of them, Samsungs just trying to hold onto the fan base they already have. It’s the Pixel they have to worry about because I don’t think Google will stop this time making phones, But I’m sure there’s a contract where they cant make fun of the Pixel at all during events or in commercials because Samsung uses Android to begin with.
    Google has in now way the distribution clout and hardware expertise of Samsung and it would take a long time to get it, so they are not really a competitor of Apple.
    As phones get more and more commoditized, the fact Google doesn't have the system's integration expertise and strong ecosystem of Apple will come to bite both Samsung and Google.

The other issue is anti-trust, Google is already in hot water with the EU on Android and its locked down nature and the fact Samsung can't fork it without taking the whole Google apps despite supposedly being "open source". Contrary to Apple, Android could be considered a monopoly in the EU (and most of the world), so they would have to thread very lightly here.

Probably will have to autorise forks are get a beatdown.
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Huh. Well, I’m glad that Samsung has some new offerings. Competition is good, for driving innovation and providing alternatives.

Reading this article, and recently talking with a friend of mine who has a Pixel (I know, not a Samsung) and who has decided to switch back to an iPhone, both reinforce my decision to stay in the Walled Garden. 

My newish iPhone X is a neat bit of technology.  The Face ID works well, with the occasional minor hiccups. And I’ve come to like the swiping gestures for navigating, rather than hitting the home button. Perfect? Not really. But then I don’t expect perfect from any technology. It mostly just works, and works pretty damn well.

My newish Apple Watch Series 3 GPS only is also quite impressive.  Can’t imagine not wearing one.

Count me as a satisfied Apple customer.
    watto_cobrajbdragonlostkiwi
  • Reply 24 of 44
    wood1208 said:
    One thing that seems different from past Galaxy is 3 internal storage 64GB/128GB/256GB choices. About Samsung's camera enhancements shouting loud, wait for reliability than few tricks here and there.
    I noticed they’re offering the sweet spot rather than force the upsell. That’s what Apple should do but they never will. Why offer people the internal storage they want when you can get them to pay $100 for more than they need.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam78Bandit
  • Reply 25 of 44
    How’s that battery life, Sammy?  :|

It would be pretty good, in case you are NOT aware of it. S8/S8+ already have good battery life. A faster AND efficient SoC would make sure S9 generation would have very good battery life.

Edit: It is pre-mature for me to make such bold claims. I was making this based on data already being available (S8 vs S9 specs comparison). Will need to wait for few weeks for the reviews to appear, that would show the actual battery from these phones.

edited February 2018
  • Reply 26 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,365member
    Overheard during S9 announcement ... "Can't imitate anymore, my ass."
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 27 of 44
    mwhite said:
    rinosaur said:
    Impressive on the camera front, can’t wait to see some sample pics. iPhone is really lagging behind in camera.
    And how many Android phones are being used to shoot professional movies on?????? TROLL

How many "phones" (forget Android or iOS) are being used to shoot professional movies in real world???? Any links that you can share with data about the number of the phones Vs the professional cameras being used for professional shooting???
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 28 of 44
    wood1208 said:
    One thing that seems different from past Galaxy is 3 internal storage 64GB/128GB/256GB choices. About Samsung's camera enhancements shouting loud, wait for reliability than few tricks here and there.
    I noticed they’re offering the sweet spot rather than force the upsell. That’s what Apple should do but they never will. Why offer people the internal storage they want when you can get them to pay $100 for more than they need.
    “But they never will” 

This should be archived for when Apple does it. 

Wait... could you expound on “sweet spot”? Do you mean the three configurations like apple had last year, or the 64GB minimum like they have this year? 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    wood1208 said:
    “But they never will” 

Wait... could you expound on “sweet spot”? Do you mean the three configurations like apple had last year, or the 64GB minimum like they have this year? 
    The criticism WAS valid when Apple had 32GB as base configuration until 2016-17. At least this is what I feel - 64GB is the sweet spot NOW (even may be until next year, beyond which 128GB should become the sweet spot) and that is what Apple is offering as base configuration. Criticism, if any, about base storage configuration does NOT look valid to me about the current lineup (iPhone 8/8+/X).
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 30 of 44
    wood1208 said:
    “But they never will” 

The criticism WAS valid when Apple had 32GB as base configuration until 2016-17. At least this is what I feel - 64GB is the sweet spot NOW (even may be until next year, beyond which 128GB should become the sweet spot) and that is what Apple is offering as base configuration. Criticism, if any, about base storage configuration does NOT look valid to me about the current lineup (iPhone 8/8+/X).
    The criticism has been valid for multiple generations of iPhone now.  When I got my iPhone 6 the choice was 16, 64, or 128.  32 would have been the sweet spot to start, but it is obvious Apple gave a bare minimum in the hopes a lot of customers would find it limiting a pay an additional $100.

With the camera and video capabilities of the iPhone X as well as the swelling size of applications 128GB should have been the starting configuration of the $1,000 device.  Apple is at least two generations behind on the base amount of storage, particularly given the complete lack of support for removable media storage.

If Apple wasn't really trying to force the upsell then you would see a mid-range 128GB model for a $50 premium rather than forcing consumers into the $150 premium to go from 64 to 256.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 31 of 44
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    mwhite said:
    rinosaur said:
    Impressive on the camera front, can’t wait to see some sample pics. iPhone is really lagging behind in camera.
    And how many Android phones are being used to shoot professional movies on?????? TROLL

How many "phones" (forget Android or iOS) are being used to shoot professional movies in real world???? Any links that you can share with data about the number of the phones Vs the professional cameras being used for professional shooting???

mwhite said:
    rinosaur said:

If you want to know YOU look it up.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    wood1208 said:
    “But they never will” 

64GB is not the sweet spot 128GB is.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 33 of 44
    wood1208 said:
    “But they never will” 

Go ahead and archive because Apple won’t do it. My guess is the options we have now will be here for a while.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    78Bandit said:
    wood1208 said:
    “But they never will” 

The criticism has been valid for multiple generations of iPhone now.  When I got my iPhone 6 the choice was 16, 64, or 128.  32 would have been the sweet spot to start, but it is obvious Apple gave a bare minimum in the hopes a lot of customers would find it limiting a pay an additional $100.

With the camera and video capabilities of the iPhone X as well as the swelling size of applications 128GB should have been the starting configuration of the $1,000 device.  Apple is at least two generations behind on the base amount of storage, particularly given the complete lack of support for removable media storage.

If Apple wasn't really trying to force the upsell then you would see a mid-range 128GB model for a $50 premium rather than forcing consumers into the $150 premium to go from 64 to 256.
    Also in many cases you can’t clear app cache without deleting the app and re-installing it. For instance on my X Facebook is showing 312MB of “Documents & Data” that I can’t get rid of without deleting the app and redownloadng it.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    mwhite said:
    mwhite said:
    rinosaur said:

mwhite said:
    rinosaur said:

You are making a dubious claim. Which is why I am asking you to provide data to support your claim.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    78Bandit said:
    wood1208 said:
    “But they never will” 

I agree with your first line - it has been valid for multiple generations. The only thing that I disagree is - latest generation iPhones ALSO belong to the same category as per you & @rogifan_new. According to you, sweet spot would change based on the pricetag - In this case iPhone X with $1000+ makes you to argue that 128GB is the sweet spot, but not necessarily for iPhone 8/8+? I don't see the 256GB option as not an upsell tactic - It is available for those who need it. But 64GB option (user available about 50GB) would be adequate for most of the users in this year and next year as well. I also compare iPhone base storage configuration with Android premium smartphones. Most of them come with 64GB configuration only even now. That does not mean, that is the only yardstick that I apply because they can also go wrong, trying to copy Apple's strategy. But so far, they have not copied this negative aspect from Apple AND Apple themselves have fixed it in their own lineup in the current generation.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    wood1208 said:
    “But they never will” 

64GB is not the sweet spot 128GB is.

So you expected a straight jump from 32GB base storage in iPhone 7/7+ to 128GB base storage in iPhone 8/8+/X. Looks unreasonable to me. I have NOT seen ANY OEM do this year on year.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,330member
    Just so you know;

https://www.ped30.com/2017/12/21/apple-flash-memory/

30% of Worldwide flash memory consumption as of end of 2017.

edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 44
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    mwhite said:
    mwhite said:
    rinosaur said:

mwhite said:
    rinosaur said:

You are making a dubious claim. Which is why I am asking you to provide data to support your claim.
    For the lazy person here http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/22/director-steven-soderberghs-shot-on-iphone-unsane-feature-premieres-at-berlin-film-festival was on Appleinsider a couple of days ago....

watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    mwhite said:
    mwhite said:
    mwhite said:
    rinosaur said:

mwhite said:
    rinosaur said:

For the lazy person here http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/22/director-steven-soderberghs-shot-on-iphone-unsane-feature-premieres-at-berlin-film-festival was on Appleinsider a couple of days ago....

So you fell for the marketing and believe that all "professionals" are using iPhones for shooting the videos???