2018 iPhone lineup may include biggest ever with 6.5-inch screen, budget model with Face I...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
More rumors are circulating that Apple is planning a trio of iPhones in the fall of 2018, with one the largest ever produced by the company, and all three incorporating Face ID authentication technology.

2018 iPhone mockups by Curved.

A report from Mark Gurman at Bloomberg on Monday afternoon claims that Apple is looking at producing 6.5-inch screen, with a body about the same size as the iPhone 8 Plus. An edge-to-edge design in the so-called "D33," such as that in the iPhone X, allows for a large OLED screen without significantly increasing the size of the enclosure.

Allegedly, the new, large format iPhone has screen resolutions of 1242 x 2588, giving it approximately the same pixel density as the iPhone X.

Another model, said to be internally called the "D32" will be an "update to the regular-sized iPhone X" according to the report. A gold color is reportedly under development, with the report noting that "Apple may ultimately decide not to proceed with the color."

Both of the higher-end models are predicted by Gurman to include Face ID. Also expected is the "A12" processor and iOS 12 -- a logical increment from the A11 and iOS 11 in 2017, and the A10 and iOS 10 in 2016. Possible inclusions in the new phones are either dual-SIM capability, or inclusion of the nascent E-SIM technology.

Gurman believes that a "low-end" model with Face ID will be released as well, using LCD screen technology with to keep the costs down. It is predicted to have aluminum edges and a glass back like the iPhone 8 -- but Gurman does not delve into the size of the device.

Monday's report does not significantly deviate from previous rumors on the topic, nor does it predict anything extraordinary or outlandish that hasn't been discussed before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Just the same rumours we’ve been hearing for the last few months but I do get excited at the sound of a 6.5” OLED phone, love this iPhone X but I do sort of miss the size of the Plus model.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    mavemufc said:
    Just the same rumours we’ve been hearing for the last few months but I do get excited at the sound of a 6.5” OLED phone, love this iPhone X but I do sort of miss the size of the Plus model.
    It's interesting that the perceived  "must have" OLED feature isn't really that as LCD's are excellent, giving a breather to Apple, and all other manufacturers for that matter, until production and price are a better match for widespread adoption. Samsung needs to drive down the price, and fast, if they are going to make a market of selling OLED screens, before competitors, like LG and others, arrive.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 3 of 33
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    If true then Apple’s line up is beginning to look crowded. I am guess that the 6 range will go leaving iPhone 7s, 8s and at lest two of the new ones replacing iPhone X. So where would that leave the SE? Will it be replaced by the other new iPhone ad a lower priced, smaller iPhone, or will the SE continue or be replaced by an SE 2?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    I'd be surprised if Face ID didn't make it's way to all new phones this year with the possible exception of the SE replacement.
    mavemufc
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Interesting.
    2018 looks fine .
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I think the lineup makes sense, although I am not interested in the iPhone X Plus.  The only reason I moved to 7+ (and briefly to 8+) was the dual camera / depth effect feature.  With iPhone X, I got the size I like with dual cameras I want.  Looks I can sit out the 2018 upgrade cycle.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 33
    mike1 said:
    I'd be surprised if Face ID didn't make it's way to all new phones this year with the possible exception of the SE replacement.
    The iPhone X suffered initial sales due to lack of FaceID components, so I'm assuming that the three top models will be the X upgrade and two new LCD models. Older, "legacy" TouchID models, will not be redesigned for FaceID but will continue until they are retired out of the lineup. The three models at the high end will likely garner more than half of all iPhone unit sales this year. The SE model is price sensitive anyway, so an SE 2, if it arrives, will not gain FaceID, ever. That doesn't imply that there won't be a new purpose built entry level model with FaceID in the future, but not anytime soon.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    I'm on board w/ the larger iPhones. It has, after all, proven to be the true 'PC replacement' for most people!. :)

Why have a desktop, laptop or even an iPad when you can do 99% of what most people need on the iPhone?

Me? Still on a 2017 MacBook, SE, iPad Mini, ATV, AirPods/AppleWatch. 

Could I get by with just a large iPhone, ATV, AirPods/AppleWatch? Hmmmmm.

Or may make the switch to SE2 and sell MacBook for an iPad Pro. :)
  • Reply 9 of 33
    My question is what’s the cost? Will the X+ cost $1100+ or will it take the $1000 position and the X2 drop $100, or even just $50, then the Xmini,9 will maintain $800? Also is the SE2 going to come out at some point costing $400 again. Going to be a hole missing with the $600ish range outside of older(or higher storage SE) models if so.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    dachar said:
    If true then Apple’s line up is beginning to look crowded. I am guess that the 6 range will go leaving iPhone 7s, 8s and at lest two of the new ones replacing iPhone X. So where would that leave the SE? Will it be replaced by the other new iPhone ad a lower priced, smaller iPhone, or will the SE continue or be replaced by an SE 2?
    Not sure what you mean by crowded.  Based on the rumours so far, it looks like 2018 will have:
    - Updated SE
    - A new 6.1" LCD model.  Only one variant is making the stories, so the thinking is that Apple will be making next model of the "8 Plus" - but will not have a new 4.7" model, likely due to the information that the 8+ was outselling the 8.
    - A new 5.8" iPhone X
    - A new 6.5" iPhone X Plus

A lineup based on these rumours would have the same number of phones as 2018.  Updated SE, iPhone 7/7+, iPhone 8/8+, New 6.1" LCD, iPhone X(2), iPhone X(2) Plus.

IMO the lineup is a bit crowded, and in the mid-tier they could trim out one of the 7 models.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Informed iPhone buyers can guess and expect the 6.5" and 5.8" OLED iPhones but most interest will lie on 6.1" LCD. Hope, 6.1" iPhone is basically iPhone X with 6.1" LCD screen at cheaper price. and apple offers in 64GB/128GB/256GB.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 12 of 33
    wood1208 said:
    Informed iPhone buyers can guess and expect the 6.5" and 5.8" OLED iPhones but most interest will lie on 6.1" LCD. Hope, 6.1" iPhone is basically iPhone X with 6.1" LCD screen at cheaper price. and apple offers in 64GB/128GB/256GB.
    The LCD model sounds pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.  A 64GB model with an A12 processor and a decent camera starting at $699 would be great.  I'd likely pony up the additional $100 to get 128GB if it were an option.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    tmay said:
    The iPhone X suffered initial sales due to lack of FaceID components, so I'm assuming that the three top models will be the X upgrade and two new LCD models. Older, "legacy" TouchID models, will not be redesigned for FaceID but will continue until they are retired out of the lineup. The three models at the high end will likely garner more than half of all iPhone unit sales this year. The SE model is price sensitive anyway, so an SE 2, if it arrives, will not gain FaceID, ever. That doesn't imply that there won't be a new purpose built entry level model with FaceID in the future, but not anytime soon.
    Exactly correct. There are two holes in this year’s iPhone lineup: a Plus model and an $899 price tier. 

In in my opinion the current iPhone X will be carried through FY2019 at $899, and an iPhone X Plus will be introduced at $999. 

Further two LCD models will be introduced as an iPhone 9 and iPhone 9 Plus, replacing the iPhone 8 as the flagship LCD iPhone. There won’t be and screen size changes in the iPhone 9. 

Introducing an iPhone X Plus at $999, with the iPhone X lowered to $899 will result in higher unit sales and dramatically increase ASPs. The market will argue that, to be successful Apple had to lower the price of iPhone X, but they would be wrong. Apple did not introduce an iPhone X Plus because of Face ID component and OLED panel supply limitations. Those limitations will largely disappear in time to produce FY2019s models. 

Psychologically (aka perception) of the consumer will be that the iPhone X is lower in price (therefore more attractive/desirable), when in reality iPhone ASP is going to dramatically increase. 

There is a “Supercycle”, we have entered it, and it’s impact will be visible I n FY2019. I expect that cycle to last through FY2021/FY2022 as lower cost LCD iPhones are flushed out of the iPhone lineup. 
  • Reply 14 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    78Bandit said:
    wood1208 said:
    The LCD model sounds pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.  A 64GB model with an A12 processor and a decent camera starting at $699 would be great.  I'd likely pony up the additional $100 to get 128GB if it were an option.
    Seems right. What if Apple takes 4.7" iPhone 8 frame and make LCD faceid iPhone and call it SE+
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 15 of 33
    tmay said:
    Exactly correct. There are two holes in this year’s iPhone lineup: a Plus model and an $899 price tier. 

In in my opinion the current iPhone X will be carried through FY2019 at $899, and an iPhone X Plus will be introduced at $999. 

Further two LCD models will be introduced as an iPhone 9 and iPhone 9 Plus, replacing the iPhone 8 as the flagship LCD iPhone. There won’t be and screen size changes in the iPhone 9. 

Introducing an iPhone X Plus at $999, with the iPhone X lowered to $899 will result in higher unit sales and dramatically increase ASPs. The market will argue that, to be successful Apple had to lower the price of iPhone X, but they would be wrong. Apple did not introduce an iPhone X Plus because of Face ID component and OLED panel supply limitations. Those limitations will largely disappear in time to produce FY2019s models. 

Psychologically (aka perception) of the consumer will be that the iPhone X is lower in price (therefore more attractive/desirable), when in reality iPhone ASP is going to dramatically increase. 

There is a “Supercycle”, we have entered it, and it’s impact will be visible I n FY2019. I expect that cycle to last through FY2021/FY2022 as lower cost LCD iPhones are flushed out of the iPhone lineup. 
    Let's throw in the two iPad Pro models, which will likely get FaceID in March, leaving the Mac Book Pro on deck for FaceID treatment.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    I’ll be upgrading to the X Plus for sure. Never minded carrying a larger phone. I do hope Apple simplifies the line-up a bit though. SE, 8 & 8 Plus, then the 3 new 2018 models. 
  • Reply 17 of 33
    tmay said:

Ok, this is a fun guessing game :smile:

Here is my prediction for the 2018 lineup starting prices (most likely 64GB model)

(New/Updated):
    iPhone X Plus (Largest) - $1099
    iPhone X (with A12 chip) - $999
    iPhone 9 (LCD version of X) - $799
    iPhone SE2 - $399

Price Drop:
    iPhone 8 Plus - $699
    iPhone 8 - $599
    iPhone 7 Plus - $549
    iPhone 7 - $449

edited February 2018
  • Reply 18 of 33
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    urashid said:
    tmay said:

Ok, this is a fun guessing game :smile:

Here is my prediction for the 2018 lineup starting prices (most likely 64GB model)

(New/Updated):
    iPhone X Plus (Largest) - $1099 $999
    iPhone X (with A12 chip) - $999 $849-$899
    iPhone 9 (6.1" LCD version of X) - $799
    iPhone SE2 - $399 - $499

Price Drop:
    iPhone 8 Plus - $699
    iPhone 8 - $599
    iPhone 7 Plus - $549
    iPhone 7 - $449

I still think Apple won't refresh the iPhone X but keeps selling it with discount. The phone is still perfect on its own. So, my predictions were added to yours.
    edited February 2018 urashidmavemufc
  • Reply 19 of 33
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    brucemc said:
    dachar said:
    Not sure what you mean by crowded.  Based on the rumours so far, it looks like 2018 will have:
    - Updated SE
    - A new 6.1" LCD model.  Only one variant is making the stories, so the thinking is that Apple will be making next model of the "8 Plus" - but will not have a new 4.7" model, likely due to the information that the 8+ was outselling the 8.
    - A new 5.8" iPhone X

A lineup based on these rumours would have the same number of phones as 2018.  Updated SE, iPhone 7/7+, iPhone 8/8+, New 6.1" LCD, iPhone X(2), iPhone X(2) Plus.

IMO the lineup is a bit crowded, and in the mid-tier they could trim out one of the 7 models.
    If Apple's intention is to move away from Touch ID, no new iPhone with Touch ID will be made. That means: no 8s/8+s. There'll be 2-3 versions of Face ID and 2-3 low-end versions of existing ones with Touch ID:
    X+,
    X,
    6.1" version (iPhone 9 assumed)
    8+
    SE2.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    fallenjt said:
    brucemc said:
    dachar said:
    - Updated SE
    - A new 5.8" iPhone X

If Apple's intention is to move away from Touch ID, no new iPhone with Touch ID will be made. That means: no 8s/8+s. There'll be 2-3 versions of Face ID and 2-3 low-end versions of existing ones with Touch ID:
    X+,
    X,
    6.1" version (iPhone 9 assumed)
    8+
    SE2.
    I agree with you for the most part, and expect that the iPhones 7, 7 plus, 6s, and 6s Plus will continue in the lineup to cover a bunch of price points, plus the SE at $299, and the SE2 at $349.

If the 6.5 LCD model is compatible with the Pencil, which is something that I am hoping for, then this will likely exceed the pricing of the X, for comparable memory. The only unknown, to me anyway, is which new models will have OLED's vs LCD's.