New Apple 'Switch to iPhone' ads promote support & environmental footprint

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Monday debuted four new "Switch to iPhone" ads, as well as another brief how-to guide for the smartphone.

The new vertically-formatted ads are titled "Ease," "Environment," "Safe," and "Apple Support." Each is just 10 to 15 seconds long, and promotes a reason to pick an iPhone over Android devices, typically without going into actual details.

The one exception is "Environment," which notes that iPhones are assembled at "zero waste to landfill" factories.

The how-to video is "How to experiment with color on iPhone," and simply points viewers toward the "Edit" menu in the iOS Photos app, where a "Color" option pops up a simple slider.

In Australia the company recently put out a series of iPhone X ads themed around LGBT weddings, marking the legalization of same-sex marriage in the country.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I have an iPhone 6. It works perfectly well, but since the removal of the headphone socket, and now the fingerprint recognition. I'm out. About the only iPhone I'll upgrade to would be a 6s. The new Galaxy S9, is looking promising too, even though I hate Android.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    I have an iPhone 6. It works perfectly well, but since the removal of the headphone socket, and now the fingerprint recognition. I'm out. About the only iPhone I'll upgrade to would be a 6s. The new Galaxy S9, is looking promising too, even though I hate Android.
    "I'm out"

With that as your last post on AI, buh bye!
    racerhomie3jony0airnerdking editor the gratechasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Don’t get your issue with fingerprint recognition, but since all of your posts (two) are about Apple not meeting your phone needs or displeasing you it would make total sense to grab the Galaxy before they’re all gone and get on the Android team. 
    trashman69racerhomie3king editor the gratechasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I too have a bit of push back on lack of a Home button. I also have a 6 but I recently bought an 8 for my wife. but I have to buy another one because the unopened box got stolen out of my checked luggage while returning from a business trip. I asked Apple if they could track it but they said no. Her birthday is coming up very soon but I'm waiting to see if the credit card company is going to reimburse me for the stolen device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    You luddites who have not tried Facial recognition and want to cling to HP Jacks and Home button eliminations need to just go to android and never come back...you will not be missed...iPhone 6...really???
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    And all we'll have to remember you by are your two posts. :(
    jony0king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Wouldn't it be more environmentally friendly not to buy a smart-phone at all, or any of Apple's products?
    Go get a plot of land, start a micro-farm... get off the grid.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 8 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    On the environmental side, years ago (and I mean many years ago) I read that Apple dumped a lot of Macs in the desert.

Was that some kind of urban legend or was it true? If true, did they ever go and dig them out. That would be a nice story to tell if it were true.

Actively targeting Android users makes a lot of sense given how sales have stalled.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Remember to sell your iPhone 6.
    I am sure a lot of people are interested in buying it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    avon b7 said:
    On the environmental side, years ago (and I mean many years ago) I read that Apple dumped a lot of Macs in the desert.

Was that some kind of urban legend or was it true? If true, did they ever go and dig them out. That would be a nice story to tell if it were true.

Actively targeting Android users makes a lot of sense given how sales have stalled.

You're thinking about Atari.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

airnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    And all we'll have to remember you by are your two posts. :(

Two posts too many. LOL
  • Reply 12 of 24
    avon b7 said:

You're thinking about Atari.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

That too, but also the unsold Lisas after the Mac came out, allegedly:
     https://fossbytes.com/why-2700-apple-lisa-computers-are-buried-in-a-landfill/
  • Reply 13 of 24

• Reply 14 of 24
    I have a 6s and don’t see a reason to upgrade until Apple discontinue support for it.

The biggest reason to keep in the Apple ecosystem is security, and the iCloud. Syncing my Contacts, Notes, Calendar, and Bookmarks between my iDevices is very convenient.  IMessage is great, and I’ve gotten my feet wet with Apple Pay.

But I have a domain registered with Google, and my email tied to it (also hosted at Google, not gmail but the same access).  I use Google Maps because it’s superior to Apple Maps.

My music, videos, books is with Amazon so I’m platform agnostic there (that’s by design).

I have some apps with Apple (obviously) but it wouldn’t be a huge cost to switch.

I expect great things with the next 12.9 iPad.  If I buy it when my 9.7 Pro dies, that will determine if I stay with Apple.

The reason not to switch is Google is the spotty OS upgrades, which ties in to device security.  They also lack the convenience of repairs at the Apple Store.

The dark horse for my spending dollars is Amazon.  They’d need a good midrange Amazon phone, and a high end tablet.  Currently Amazon lacks both.  Amazon’s App Store is also greatly inferior to Apple’s and Google’s, so I’d be using Google Play.  Alexa on a Amazon phone might be a + over the other options...

I can go any of three directions in the future, but (for now) I’m happy with Apple.

I’m not tied to my headphone jack, that will likely disappear from Android devices in the next 2 years anyways.  I’m not a fan of FaceID, but as long as I can disable it and use a password, I don’t care.
    edited February 2018 airnerdcgWerks
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Nice simple ads to the point.
    But regarding support, yes but... no. I have an issue with iCloud Calendar - it shows 3 birthdays in February of contacts I have deleted a couple of years ago.
    I call support, I get redirected to a manager. He takes the issue personally and pleads to help me. After 2 phone calls and several emails and giving him my availability one full day, I am still waiting him to call me back.
    And the birthday entries are still there.

The only solution I see is to delete all my contacts, resync with "nothing" and hope they disappear. Then reactivate my contacts. And hope nothing shows up from the dead.

PS: I never received an email to rate the support guy...or a reminder that my case is still open and if I want to do anything about it.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    I got airpods and can't remember the last time I used my headphone port.  And I'm old, so I should be the hardest to convince to adopt new tech.  
  • Reply 17 of 24
    avon b7 said:

Note that YOY iPhone double digit sales growth expected for Apple's current quarter in a post below the graph.

As for that query about Apple dumping Macs in the desert, if it doesn't show up on Google, then it's likely an urban legend.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    avon b7 said:

That is indeed true. And get this: it was all signed off by Tim Cook, who was overseeing this when he got hired by Apple, 1998 IIRC.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    avon b7 said:

That is indeed true. And get this: it was all signed off by Tim Cook, who was overseeing this when he got hired by Apple, 1998 IIRC.
    Your answer is incorrect in almost all ways, so I posted a link:

https://fossbytes.com/why-2700-apple-lisa-computers-are-buried-in-a-landfill/

The event, the burying, was in 1989, so no, Tim Cook wasn't involved.

If you have a link that states otherwise, please post.

watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Sorry to hear that. You might want to read the Samsung "privacy" statement first.  It will scare the hell out of you that basically everything you do on the phone gives them the right to scoop it up for their permanent use and to share with their "partners" or subsidiaries or successor companies.  They also admit to what the ultimate Big Brother, aka Google, is doing.  They are linking all of your data across sites, services, etc., into a master account under your name.  Of course, that's what Google is also doing, and to an even greater, previously unimaginable extent.    I can't believe anyone who read that statement would ever be comfortable knowing that Google and Samsung are amassing a massive dossier on you (Google calls it your "universal identifier"-- that in of itself is deplorable, but that dossier is available to law enforcement, as they concede in their privacy statements, but also to criminal hackers, intel agencies, despotic governments.   
    airnerdcgWerkswatto_cobra