Amazon acquires smart doorbell manufacturer Ring, HomeKit still on the way [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2018
App-enabled doorbell manufacturer Ring has been bought by Amazon, adding to its lineup of security-related home automation products -- but work and certification of HomeKit for the Ring Pro and Floodlight are still ongoing.

Ring doorbell

Ring, previously backed by the Alexa Fund, is expected to remain an independent business. The terms of the deal have not as of yet been announced.

"Ring is committed to our mission to reduce crime in neighborhoods by providing effective yet affordable home security tools to our neighbors that make a positive impact on our homes, our communities, and the world," a Ring spokesperson said in a statement. "We'll be able to achieve even more by partnering with an inventive, customer-centric company like Amazon. We look forward to being a part of the Amazon team as we work toward our vision for safer neighborhoods."

Ring CEO Jamie Siminoff previously was cautious about his company's relationship with Amazon, likening the e-commerce giant to the pros and cons of nuclear power.

"To say Amazon will not compete with you is lunacy because they compete with everybody," Siminoff said in Sept. 2017. "They're like nuclear power. They are very, very powerful and you can get amazing, clean energy from them but there's also the possibility of getting human radiation if you're not careful."

In June 2017, Ring launched the Video Doorbell 2, the latest incarnation of the company's offerings. At the time it said that the Video Doorbell Pro and the Floodlight Cam would see HomeKit integration before the end of the year -- but that has yet to materialize.

Update: Shortly after the announcement was made about the purchase, Ring confirmed to users that HomeKit support was still coming for the Ring Pro and the Floodlight Cam.

HomeKit is definitely still in the works. As soon as testing is completed for the Ring Pro and Floodlight Cam, we'll partner with Apple to provide you with an updated release date.

-- Ring (@ring)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    I have liked our Ring doorbell. I was going to expand on my deployment of Ring products based on the doorbell. But now all things Ring will go the way of Nest. If it doesn’t conform to HomeKit, then it doesn’t have a place in my home.
    racerhomie3jahbladejbdragonwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 2 of 23
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    How long before there is some software linked to Ring that allows Amazon deliveries to make contact with the home owner via a smartphone?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    in addition to them acquiring Blink...
    If i recall, Ring was on Shark Tank
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 4 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    2old4fun said:
    I have liked our Ring doorbell. I was going to expand on my deployment of Ring products based on the doorbell. But now all things Ring will go the way of Nest. If it doesn’t conform to HomeKit, then it doesn’t have a place in my home.
    It's a doorbell camera. Who cares if it's HomeKit, Alexa or Google compatible as long as it has the app. You don't need to set scenes for doorbell or turn on/off. It's always on with motion detection.
    Soligatorguytokyojimu
  • Reply 5 of 23
    dachar said:
    How long before there is some software linked to Ring that allows Amazon deliveries to make contact with the home owner via a smartphone?
    That’s not an unreasonable assumption and it would be a smart move.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    NY1822 said:
    in addition to them acquiring Blink...
    If i recall, Ring was on Shark Tank
    Blink is also releasing a doorbell which works with existing Blink module (wifi/cellular).
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Amazon's plan has been to try and have amazon delivery people unlock the door and deliver inside the home. They're doing that with the Yale lock they have a partnership with, and were attempting to do it when they wanted to buy August Lock (and their doorbell camera.)

They're working on their own courier service. Their own couriers who have access to their customers' homes, to deliver their packages for their customers. I'm intentionally phrasing this with the possessive form, because they think their customers don't have privacy concerns with them doing any of this.

You can set up a homekit device in the Home App, and not need to have the devices' app downloaded or signed into. This does prevent you from getting firmware updates, which can be required when an OS update breaks compatibility.

jahbladelolliverfirelock
  • Reply 8 of 23
    fallenjt said:
    It's a doorbell camera. Who cares if it's HomeKit, Alexa or Google compatible as long as it has the app. You don't need to set scenes for doorbell or turn on/off. It's always on with motion detection.
    HomeKit support should make it possible to view the video straight from the notification, without any time wasted waiting for the app to launch. It should also bring Apple Watch support and the ability to do stuff like turn on the porch light if the doorbell is rung, or motion is detected.
    airnerdStrangeDaysjahbladejbdragonwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Complete a**holes. Kept promising homekit support "at the end of the year" for over two years. I bought a doorbell and some floodlight cams (both battery powered), now they say that homekit is coming, but only for a couple non-battery powered devices? Pretty sleazy. And now bought out by a company I have no trust in. Disappointing.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    jcwacky said:
    fallenjt said:
    HomeKit support should make it possible to view the video straight from the notification, without any time wasted waiting for the app to launch. It should also bring Apple Watch support and the ability to do stuff like turn on the porch light if the doorbell is rung, or motion is detected.
    I was going to ask why HomeKit would be of any use. But now your insight really rings true. After the delay in answering a doorbell due to launching the app, the person has usually left, especially with deliveries.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 11 of 23
    fallenjt said:
    2old4fun said:
    I care. Looming Homekit is why I bought the Ring Pro recently. I want it on HomeKit so I can view the motion alerts on my apple watch.
    jahbladewatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 12 of 23
    vmarks said:
    Amazon's plan has been to try and have amazon delivery people unlock the door and deliver inside the home. They're doing that with the Yale lock they have a partnership with, and were attempting to do it when they wanted to buy August Lock (and their doorbell camera.)

They're working on their own courier service. Their own couriers who have access to their customers' homes, to deliver their packages for their customers. I'm intentionally phrasing this with the possessive form, because they think their customers don't have privacy concerns with them doing any of this.

You can set up a homekit device in the Home App, and not need to have the devices' app downloaded or signed into. This does prevent you from getting firmware updates, which can be required when an OS update breaks compatibility.

Privacy is only a concern if I replace my standard "dumb" schlage locks. Until then Ring keeps being Ring.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Complete a**holes. Kept promising homekit support "at the end of the year" for over two years. I bought a doorbell and some floodlight cams (both battery powered), now they say that homekit is coming, but only for a couple non-battery powered devices? Pretty sleazy. And now bought out by a company I have no trust in. Disappointing.
    There is a story out there that a Ring Exec was asked at CES this year and they said they are able to turn on HomeKit right now, but won't because there is a disagreement with Apple about something stupid like where the alert originates or is delivered. Ring doesn't want to abide by Apples rules, so the consumer loses. I had just purchased when I read that and thought about ripping it out and returning it. But even without homekit it still really is a good device.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I’m kinda glad I can’t afford all this smart home stuff yet because it seems like it isn’t really ironed out yet.

however I’m quite interested in it all. Being the tinkerer/maker that I am though, The other day I bought a couple raspberry pi’s to see if I can hack a couple things out on my own jftfoi. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Late 2016, end of 2017, definitely 2018.
    It’s like the ago old fable. No one will believe them if they ever release it with Home kit enabled.
    Unlikely with Shamazon at the wheel.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    evilution said:
    It’s like the ago old fable. No one will believe them if they ever release it with Home kit enabled.
    At this point I actually expect Ring (now Amazon I guess) to release "Ring Pro X" or something like that in order to support HomeKit.  However, if they do there will be lawsuits from people like me because I did specifically purchase Ring over other doorbells based on direction the company gave that HomeKit would be supported via RingPro.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    airnerd said:
    evilution said:
    At this point I actually expect Ring (now Amazon I guess) to release "Ring Pro X" or something like that in order to support HomeKit.  However, if they do there will be lawsuits from people like me because I did specifically purchase Ring over other doorbells based on direction the company gave that HomeKit would be supported via RingPro.  
    I've been using the Ring Pro and a couple of linked chimes for nearly two years. Llittle in the way of upgrades/improvements, and their cloud service hasn't been as reliable in the past year compared to the way it started out for me. "Black screen" has been too common. I'm more encouraged that could all change due to Amazon buying them out. I don't think Ring had the resources on their own. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the vast majority of Ring buyers do not live in high crime areas.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the vast majority of Ring buyers do not live in high crime areas.
    There is one Ring feature I've declined to take part in: Ring Neighborhoods
  • Reply 20 of 23
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    techno said:
    jcwacky said:
    fallenjt said:
    I was going to ask why HomeKit would be of any use. But now your insight really rings true. After the delay in answering a doorbell due to launching the app, the person has usually left, especially with deliveries.

My Garage Door Opener is Siri controlled, HomeKit supported. As such, using Apple's HOME App, I have the Garage Door Linked to my Garage Lights, at least on one side of the garage that we go though as we use the garage instead of the front door to come and go. Using Homekit Wifi Light Switches. So when the door opens, the light comes on, and when the door closes the lights go off. It's great at night with so much more light then the little light that comes with the bulbs of the garage door opener. It works wither I use Siri, or I hit the button on the wall. Makes no difference. It's great!!!!

So I can see linking things to a RING Doorbell also though Apple's HOME App. Besides in general, it would be faster to just ask Siri to view the video of Ring, then Unlocking Phone and finding and loading up a app.