Analysts claim only 850K BlackBerry phones sold in 2017 as paid apps leave BlackBerry Worl...

Posted:
in General Discussion
A mere 850,000 BlackBerry-branded phones were shipped in all of 2017, according to estimates. Further marking the decline of the company's brand, BlackBerry World -- which hosts apps for the BB10 operating system -- will soon lose any remaining paid titles.

The shipment estimates include all BlackBerry devices, not just the recent KeyOne flagship, The Verge said citing data from IDC's Francisco Jeronimo. By comparison, Apple sold 77.3 million iPhones in the December quarter alone. BlackBerry did beat out Essential's 88,000 phones, but the latter company didn't exist for much of 2017.

Phone maker TCL bought the rights to sell BlackBerry-branded phones in 2016, meaning that BlackBerry itself has had increasingly less to do with hardware, focusing instead on software and services. Modern BlackBerries run Android, in recognition of the current platform duopoly.

BlackBerry will remove any paid apps from BlackBerry World on March 31, the company said in an email to developers. All purchasing mechanisms will be turned off, and refunds will only be supported until April 30.

Free apps will be allowed to persist, but only until BlackBerry World's complete shutdown on Dec. 31, 2019. Android-based BlackBerry devices have access to the Google Play Store.

Once synonymous with smartphones -- even earning the nickname "Crackberry" -- BlackBerry was slow to respond to the advent of the iPhone in 2007 and other touchscreen devices. When it did respond, its products weren't well-received, and the company has since slid into irrelevancy in hardware sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    It's a world of laughter, a world of tears
    It's a world of hopes and a world of fears
    There's so much that we share that it's time we're aware
    It's a small world after all!

• Reply 2 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wow. 

That many?
    StrangeDaysrandominternetpersonMplsPpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Blackberry must be berry blue.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Rayz2016 said:
    Wow. 

That many?
    This was my very first thought as well. I'm truly shocked that many were sold.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Unicorns_ReignUnicorns_Reign Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    The smart phone market was theirs to lose... And they did.
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 41
    That’s 849k too many.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 41
    rexbinary said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Wow. 

That many?

I guess that is due to the TCL brand who actually made those phones. They have a lot more than 850K customers worldwide.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    I thought they switched over Google Play a few years ago...

Google Maps killed the Blackberry.

The BlackBerry was the best business phone.  I could text and email with my BlackBerry without ever taking my eyes off the road.

But when Maps came along it became the killer app, and the Blackberry screen was to small.

RIP Blackberry 

• Reply 9 of 41
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Why would anyone buy a BlackBerry in this day and age?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 41
    macxpress said:
    Why would anyone buy a BlackBerry in this day and age?
    My mother and step father have Blackberry's... they’re 8 years old and still run fine.

I’m trying to talk her into switching to an IPhone 8 (buy one get one free).

If you bought a Blackberry in the last 2 years, it was probably because you didn’t want the data charges of an IPhone or Android.  Some areas still don’t have 4G.  In those, a Blackberry might be a better value...
  • Reply 11 of 41
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    rexbinary said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Wow. 

That many?

most were bought by employees, family and friends
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 41
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    When I first glanced at the headline I thought it said 850 Blackberries. And I STILL thought "wow, that many?" 
    randominternetpersonpeterhartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 41

The BlackBerry was the best business phone.  I could text and email with my BlackBerry without ever taking my eyes off the road.

But when Maps came along it became the killer app, and the Blackberry screen was to small.

RIP Blackberry 

I'm not buying that narrative.  People were perfectly happy with their Blackberry email machines and their GPS devices.  The iPhone--do everything internet device that was so intuitive anyone would be an expert--and the copycat Android devices killed the Blackberry.  Google Maps was just one GPS app and GPS was only one small part of the smart phone value proposition.
    JWSCmike1StrangeDaysRayz2016watto_cobraflashfan207
  • Reply 14 of 41
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Honestly, I am surprised it is still selling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Oof.  Shame, they had some great technology.  Lousy management though.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 616member

RIP Blackberry 

Some other bests:
    • Horses before cars
    • Morse Code before telephones
    • Abacus before adding machines and later computers
    • Going to the movies to see the news before broadcast TV
    • Radio before Satellite Radio
    • Touch screen before a keyboard that took up half the size of the phone
    What killed the Blackberry was their reaction time. They laughed off Apple's design and ton of new functionality and that is not to mention there was zero cool factor with having a Blackberry. Only business people and nerds with their "Holier Than Though" attitude. Not saying that was you, but it was the vast majority of users I knew. Once Google dropped Android that was end. Maps may have been one of the nails, but don't overlook iMessage, a great email client, touch, large screen, good camera, and the way it all tied together. The most pathetic RIM-related hold out was Ryan Seacrest making (but being forced to stop) a RIM type keyboard add on for the iPhone. Motorola and Nokia joined RIM in being crushed by Apple, Samsung, LG etc.
    tokyojimuStrangeDaysRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Is it possible for someone to post of photos of the losers who bought a BlackBerry last year. I need them for my wall of shame.
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 41
    And I forgot to mention a web browser that worked and was dependent on special mobile sites being created.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 41
    I was in an AT&T store just a few years ago and the salesman there was trying very hard to sell a BlackBerry to a customer who came in wanting an iPhone. So the commissions must’ve been very generous and maybe some people fall for the pitch. Of course when the salesman pulled out his own phone, it was an iPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 41
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Was that actual sales or shipped units that are still sitting on shelves? Hard to believe it was actual sales...
    watto_cobra