Analysts claim only 850K BlackBerry phones sold in 2017 as paid apps leave BlackBerry Worl...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Is that number higher than the sales of some Google Pixel models -:)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If ever there were proof of Apple’s ability to completely disrupt entire industries the story of Blackberry is it. And along with that is the famous quote by Steve Ballmer about the iPhone, “And it doesn’t have a keyboard so it’s not a good business phone.” Apple has always been the Wayne Gretzky of tech, going where the puck will be instead of where it is.
    edited February 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    We shouldn’t be gloating over the failure of Blackberry or any other competitor because new ideas are always welcome. BUT, some of these competitors said some pretty stupid and denigrating things about the iPhone when it debuted. Whistling past the graveyard I think is the expression. 
    edited February 2018 pscooter63macguigeorgie01watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 41
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I thought Blackberry sales went down after the release of the iPhone. Chart says sales increased by a factor of 13 (before falling off a cliff )
  • Reply 25 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Who could've thought BB had its day like this? It's so sad to see a company which once dominated enterprise mobile segment dying. It's all because of iPhone to begin with. If BB CEO took Apple seriously like building a partnership back in 2007, they're probably still a king now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    fallenjt said:
    Who could've thought BB had its day like this? It's so sad to see a company which once dominated enterprise mobile segment dying. It's all because of iPhone to begin with. If BB CEO took Apple seriously like building a partnership back in 2007, they're probably still a king now.
    Palm was the exact same way.

they both had every opportunity to dominate, but in the end became stodgy fat-cats and arrogant.  Any former manager/executive from either company looking for a job would get an immediate rejection stamp and shown the door. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    lkrupp said:
    And along with that is the famous quote by Steve Ballmer about the iPhone, “And it doesn’t have a keyboard so it’s not a good business phone.” Apple has always been the Wayne Gretzky of tech, going where the puck will be instead of where it is.
    Simple: Steve Job's vision is 10x of entire MS combined at the time.
    iPhone's victims: Blackberry, feature mobile phones, PDA, Point&Shoot cameras, personal camcorders, MP3 players, portable Navigation systems, GameBoy and eventually personal laptops.

macguiStrangeDaysradarthekatwatto_cobraflashfan207
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Whatever it is, it's very low. Apple sells that many in a day. But hey Blackberry wanted to stick with there crummy button phones until it was to late. Never updated there antique software very much either.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Wow. 

That many?
    Exactly what I was going to post. Not to bash the BB, but I am surprised there are still that many users out there. I've never use one but know a few people who did. All of them converted to iPhones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 41
    I thought they switched over Google Play a few years ago...

Google Maps killed the Blackberry.

The BlackBerry was the best business phone.  I could text and email with my BlackBerry without ever taking my eyes off the road.
    Uh yeah. You may think you were texting and driving safely, but you weren’t. Even if you never glanced down to confirm your messaging, the cognitive load of crafting an email was impairing your driving. 
    edited February 2018 MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 41
    macxpress said:
    Why would anyone buy a BlackBerry in this day and age?
    I bought a BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition as a museum piece (it's a beautiful looking device). I set it up with some email and apps. It constantly scares the crap out of me when reminders go off. lol
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 41

The BlackBerry was the best business phone.  I could text and email with my BlackBerry without ever taking my eyes off the road.
    Uh yeah. You may think you were texting and driving safely, but you weren’t. Even if you never glanced down to confirm your messaging, the cognitive load of crafting an email was impairing your driving. 
    That’s nonsense. Not nonsense because it’s wrong, but nonsense because you and everyone else will do countless other things which take your primary attention off from the road, impairing your driving. For instance, looking over at your friend (or spouse, or child) who just made a funny joke. Even looking in the rear view mirror takes your primary attention temporarily off from where you’re going.

The real problem with texting and driving is people who do it irresponsibly—for instance, sitting there looking at their screen for more than a fraction of a second. Yes it can take your attention away from what’s in front of you like the 1000’s of other things every driver does every time they get in the car, but it doesn’t have to be unsafe.

I’m for restrictions on texting and driving becsuse people are stupid but I’m not for the naivety expressed by so many that it’s inherently dangerous. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 33 of 41
    MgwlMgwl Posts: 11member
    Of course the shift to multi-touch, slab-like phones with a multitude of apps accelerated the demise of Blackberry devices, mainly driven by user preference. But from a corporate standpoint I think the Blackberry Enterprise Server fees were to blame for such a rapid turn of events.

The company I worked for a decade ago relied heavily on Blackberry devices for its mobile workforce, but I was told that the monthly BES fee was close to 50$ per user. On top of the regular monthly plan, that is. No wonder we were all handed iPhone 3G’s within months.

There’s actually quite a good book on the Blackberry (or RIM) downfall, called ”Losing the Signal”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 41
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    georgie01 said:

That’s nonsense. Not nonsense because it’s wrong, but nonsense because you and everyone else will do countless other things which take your primary attention off from the road, impairing your driving. For instance, looking over at your friend (or spouse, or child) who just made a funny joke. Even looking in the rear view mirror takes your primary attention temporarily off from where you’re going.

The real problem with texting and driving is people who do it irresponsibly—for instance, sitting there looking at their screen for more than a fraction of a second. Yes it can take your attention away from what’s in front of you like the 1000’s of other things every driver does every time they get in the car, but it doesn’t have to be unsafe.

I’m for restrictions on texting and driving becsuse people are stupid but I’m not for the naivety expressed by so many that it’s inherently dangerous. 
    Actually, the problem with texting and driving is people like you. The data is abundantly clear, and the fact that you are arguing otherwise tells me you probably shouldn’t be driving at all because you lack sound judgement. 

I hope to God you are not on any roads near me or my family. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    georgie01 said:

Absolute rubbish, and that's why the UK courts will throw the book at you if they find you were looking at your phone while driving. Once the police have checked your alcohol levels, the next thing they'll do is look at your phone to see if you were texting. If you've dumped your phone (as many people attempt to do when they've had an accident) then the police will contact the phone company to see if you were sending messages. Eye witness statements are usually enough though.

The "fraction of second" that your eyes are off the road is the fraction of a second lost on your stopping distance. Depending on your speed and the condition of your tyres, that can be a good couple of feet. Easily enough time to hit a child that's run into the road, which is what tends to happen unfortunately.

As someone else said, I hope you're not on the road anywhere near anyone I know.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 41

But when Maps came along it became the killer app, and the Blackberry screen was to small.

RIP Blackberry 

First time I've heard anyone say that.

You're wrong, obviously. Windows Mobile (or whatever MS was calling at the time) devices had maps and bigger screens, but Blackberry survived for years while they were on the market. Not forgetting that maps were available on Satnavs too, which everyone had as well as a phone.

Blackberry failed because, overnight, folk realised they delivered too little for the price, and started bringing their own phones to work to do the same job. Secure messaging on its own wasn't enough to save them

And why are there so many people on the road with ADS?
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 41

This.

In the UK, is it a crime to drive without devoting due care and attention to the road. If you're trying to operate a phone without looking, then you're distracted. 

That's why it's illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. 

I don't even use the hands free on my car. If it's important, they'll leave a message or call back later.

Oh, and I don't believe this fella can text and email without glancing at his phone. 

Had a friend who smashed his car while tuning the radio. When the got towed back to his house, there were huge clumps of grass jammed into what was left of the front grill, and because the car also happened to be pink, we called it Ermintrude.

Yeah, no one's going to get that.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 41
    horvatic said:
    Whatever it is, it's very low. Apple sells that many in a day. But hey Blackberry wanted to stick with there crummy button phones until it was to late. Never updated there antique software very much either.
    I think if marketed more slickly the physical keyboard could’ve remained a major selling point for many people. Maybe not, especially because your point on their software is bang-on, and the challenge of somehow combining a fair-enough sized screen with a physical keyboard never really seemed to work out for them. 
  • Reply 39 of 41
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Rayz2016 said:

This.

In the UK, is it a crime to drive without devoting due care and attention to the road. If you're trying to operate a phone without looking, then you're distracted. 

That's why it's illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. 

I don't even use the hands free on my car. If it's important, they'll leave a message or call back later.

Oh, and I don't believe this fella can text and email without glancing at his phone. 

Had a friend who smashed his car while tuning the radio. When the got towed back to his house, there were huge clumps of grass jammed into what was left of the front grill, and because the car also happened to be pink, we called it Ermintrude.

Yeah, no one's going to get that.

...and here's yet another example of someone who thought the was using his smartphone safely while driving. As if more examples are needed. 

http://www.startribune.com/trucker-was-using-smartphone-seconds-before-causing-fatal-lake-elmo-crash-charges-say/475521693/

• Reply 40 of 41
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 525member

But when Maps came along it became the killer app, and the Blackberry screen was to small.

RIP Blackberry 

One of the best maps-related apps was BlackBerry Travel. BlackBerry Travel is still the best travel app out there. Tripit is close and WorldMate used to be good (it folded last year). But nothing beat BlackBerry Travel for integration and planning. Unfortunately many of the best features of the old BBOS BlackBerrys never made it to the newer BlackBerry 10 BlackBerrys. BlackBerry Maps was good on BB10 though - very accurate.