How HomePod leverages Apple's silicon expertise to deliver advanced audio performance

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    It would be impossible to cobble a similar platform out of the terrible speakers built into existing Echo and Dot appliances, and neither Amazon, Google, Samsung, Spotify or other speaker makers really have to clout to produce such a sophisticated, premium speaker and sell it to a critical mass of users globally.

Based in many reviews, the HomePod sound quality is very similar to the Google Home Max, and I wouldn't consider neither of them premium speakers.  And to say that Samsung is not capable of doing sophisticated premium speaker is non sense.  They own Harman Audio, which includes companies like Harman-Kardon, AKG, Infinity and Revel, among others.  Those companies have years of experience in the audio market.  We'll have to see the results of the final product, but I wouldn't count them out.  

Gee, seems like Samsung is going to play ketchup, yet again!

Meanwhile, Apple just created another $billion plus a year revenue stream. 

Definitely they are behind in this market, same as Apple is.  But I wouldn't say that Samsung is not capable of designing a premium speaker, considering they own a company like Harman Audio.  
    Samsung is further behind in this market than Apple, since Apple has the premiere distribution network, and customers, as Daniel noted.
    I'll rephrase, Samsung is not behind, they are not in the market yet.
    By that same logic Apple wasn’t behind in the market, despite what everyone else has been saying for a year. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 117

danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    It would be impossible to cobble a similar platform out of the terrible speakers built into existing Echo and Dot appliances, and neither Amazon, Google, Samsung, Spotify or other speaker makers really have to clout to produce such a sophisticated, premium speaker and sell it to a critical mass of users globally.

Based in many reviews, the HomePod sound quality is very similar to the Google Home Max, and I wouldn't consider neither of them premium speakers.  And to say that Samsung is not capable of doing sophisticated premium speaker is non sense.  They own Harman Audio, which includes companies like Harman-Kardon, AKG, Infinity and Revel, among others.  Those companies have years of experience in the audio market.  We'll have to see the results of the final product, but I wouldn't count them out.  

The kicker on that sentence is "and sell it to a critical mass of users globally."

Samsung developed a Gear watch platform, Tizen, Galaxy Player, all manner of tablets, and no doubt it can make a speaker. But to create an audio platform that matters, it would need to learn how to sell those products to people who would pay any money for them.

Google hardware is a bullshit exercise in Verge fapping and nobody buys any of it in commercially relevant volumes. It doesn't matter that some bloggers can't tell the difference between a basic speaker and HomePod. If those reviews mattered Google would be a significant hardware seller rather than a source of billowing hot bullshit.
    What about the other terms that are in the sentence, "sophisticated, premium speaker"?  Isn't that more important than "sell it to a critical mass of users globally"?  For a customer, it should be, and for me, it is.  Apple didn't make a premium speaker.  They made a smart speaker that sound as good as the competition, and even below them when you consider how far is Siri from Alexa and Google Assistance.  Even in the AppleInsider comparison of the HomePod with Google Home Max the reviewer conclude "Fortunately, there isn't enough of a difference between the two to justify buying one or the other for sound quality reasons alone."  But it seems like you are focused in sales numbers, while I'm more in the line of sound quality.  

DanVM,

Since you haven't listened to the speakers, and Daniel has, maybe you really don't know if the HomePod is a "sophisticated, premium speaker", but the HomePod is certainly an order of magnitude more "sophisticated" in its audio design than any other company's product in the smart speaker space, and likely more sophisticated that many of the AudioPhile speakers that you are referencing that are quite a bit more expensive.

Care to explain how important is the "sophisticated" audio design in the HomePod when the results, based in the AppleInsider comparison with the Home Max, is that "there isn't enough of a difference between the two to justify buying one or the other for sound quality reasons alone."?  And that's the same feedback I had read in many side-to-side comparisons.  BTW, when you mention audiophile speakers in your post, do you really think that the HomePod it's at that level of sound quality?
    http://www.loopinsight.com/2018/01/24/on-homepod-and-audio-quality/

The room correction applied after probing its own position isn’t simplistic DSP of frequency response, as the speaker has seven drivers that are used to create a beamforming speaker array,. so they can direct specific sound in specific directions. The only other speakers that do this is the Beolab 90, and Lexicon SL-1. The Beolab 90 is $85,000/pair, and no price tag is set for the Lexicon, but the expectation in the industry is “astronomical”.

edited February 2018 tmay2old4funrandominternetpersonwilliamlondonjony0stourque
  • Reply 43 of 117
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

The kicker on that sentence is "and sell it to a critical mass of users globally."

Samsung developed a Gear watch platform, Tizen, Galaxy Player, all manner of tablets, and no doubt it can make a speaker. But to create an audio platform that matters, it would need to learn how to sell those products to people who would pay any money for them.

Google hardware is a bullshit exercise in Verge fapping and nobody buys any of it in commercially relevant volumes. It doesn't matter that some bloggers can't tell the difference between a basic speaker and HomePod. If those reviews mattered Google would be a significant hardware seller rather than a source of billowing hot bullshit.
    What about the other terms that are in the sentence, "sophisticated, premium speaker"?  Isn't that more important than "sell it to a critical mass of users globally"?  For a customer, it should be, and for me, it is.  Apple didn't make a premium speaker.  They made a smart speaker that sound as good as the competition, and even below them when you consider how far is Siri from Alexa and Google Assistance.  Even in the AppleInsider comparison of the HomePod with Google Home Max the reviewer conclude "Fortunately, there isn't enough of a difference between the two to justify buying one or the other for sound quality reasons alone."  But it seems like you are focused in sales numbers, while I'm more in the line of sound quality.  

DanVM,

Since you haven't listened to the speakers, and Daniel has, maybe you really don't know if the HomePod is a "sophisticated, premium speaker", but the HomePod is certainly an order of magnitude more "sophisticated" in its audio design than any other company's product in the smart speaker space, and likely more sophisticated that many of the AudioPhile speakers that you are referencing that are quite a bit more expensive.

Care to explain how important is the "sophisticated" audio design in the HomePod when the results, based in the AppleInsider comparison with the Home Max, is that "there isn't enough of a difference between the two to justify buying one or the other for sound quality reasons alone."?  And that's the same feedback I had read in many side-to-side comparisons.  BTW, when you mention audiophile speakers in your post, do you really think that the HomePod it's at that level of sound quality?
    Actually, since I haven't listened to the HomePod, I don't personally know, but I would note that those audiophile speakers are only as good as the placement, the room's acoustics, and an individuals equalization adjustment, and since the HomePod excels at setting itself up, I would argue that you will almost certainly get peak results with a HomePod over a poor installed two way bookshelf speaker pair. What is left to find out, is how much benefit a second HomePod offers, Daniel noted having listened to this setup, and that awaits  a software release sometime in the future.

In the meantime, I'm not convinced that those side by side tests are all that reliable, so I will withhold judgement, something that you obviously aren't inclined to do.
    I haven't tried the HomePod yet, but I had listen to very expensive speakers, and are miles ahead of the Sonos Play:5 and Home Max, which at the most is what the HomePod will do, based in the AppleInsider review, among others.  Yes, you can make audiophile speakers sound as good (or bad) as the HomePod, but you cannot make the HomePod sound as good as audiophile speakers installed properly.  

Why do you think side-by-side tests are unreliable?  All the "sophisticated" was design to make HomePod sound good on any place.  The HomePod was suppose to beat other speakers in all environments, but instead comparisons showed that it sounds similar to the competition.  BTW, I'm not saying that the HomePod is a bad speaker, but it looks like it isn't better than the competition, even with all the technology detailed in the article.  

I'm going to reiterate what Strange Days said previously on this topic, you stating that the comparisons showed Homepod was not better but merely similar to the competition, this is not what I read either.  Sure, some reviews had them on par, but others said the Homepod was better.  Not for overall volume/bass, but for distortion free reproduction at all volumes, much larger immersive sound stage, beam forming tech, and more separation between individual instruments/sounds.  It was rated as much better in these regards in pretty much every comparison I read.
    StrangeDaystmayjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 117

k2kw said:
    danvm said:

I think Google has put the assistant into other third party speakers.  By coming out with the Home Max Google is acting like a Scorpion again with their Partners.   The HomeMax seems more likely to under cut Sonos's Play:5.   Looks a little like a copy too.

HomePod looks impressive and would have been great if Siri had been significantly better.   I'll be intested when Apple comes out with a sound bar and bigger HomePodPlus.
     I wouldn’t hold your breath. Becoming a home theater speaker company doesn’t seem like a core part of Apple in the way that music is “in their DNA” as they like to say. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 45 of 117

paxman said:
    haywood said:
    I'm extremely impressed with sound quality of mine.  Especially compared to the Echo.  Can't wait for the additional capabilities in Airplay2.
    I see the attraction of multi room audio but for me it is non event. I actually like having a single source - bee that mono or stereo - source for my music. I like walking in and out of the sound scape. The idea of a house wide blanket of sound reminds me of hotels and restaurants - the experiences of which I am no fan. I will likely get a HomePod at some point but I predict I will get so pissed off with Siri I'll end up controlling it with my iPhone. Or maybe I'll set up an old iPad as a controller. There is something to be said for browsing through AppleMusic and finding the perfect track.
    Yeah, while using voice control is the new sexy (and all of a sudden mandatory despite having been on iOS siri with little excitement lol), I don’t imagine I’ll stop wanting to browse my music as usual. Apps and screen are a-OK for me. 
    “There are more things in heaven and earth ...”
  • Reply 46 of 117
    My buddy got a HomePod. I swear to god the most amazing thing about it is that when he was blasting Motörhead at full volume (Siri even asked him, "Are you sure you want it that loud?"), he turned his head AWAY from the HomePod and WHISPERED, "Hey, Siri." 

The f-ing thing heard him! Wow. 
    edited February 2018 DoctorQfastasleeppscooter63williamlondonjony0brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 117
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    jcs2305 said:
    danvm said:

If these two speakers aren't premium than please elaborate what you would consider premium?  Also Samsung has barely owned Harman for a year so don't go acting like they are suddenly deeply involved in design with these companies as of yet.

I don't consider speaker the size of the HomePod or Sound Max premium.  When you listen to high end speakers, that cost thousands of dollars, the definition of premium changes.  IMO, the HomePod may sound good for a $350 small speaker, but that doesn't means it's a premium quality speaker.  And yes, the Samsung acquisition was recent, that could be the reason they don't have a smart speaker in the market. 

Once again a person that hasn't heard or seen a Homepod making sweeping remarks about it's quality..hahahaha  Please get over yourself. 
    Yes, that's true.  But I had listen to the Sonos Play:5 and the Home Max, which are very close in sound quality, based in the reviews.  I hope to test the HomePod soon. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 48 of 117
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:

Definitely they are behind in this market, same as Apple is.  But I wouldn't say that Samsung is not capable of designing a premium speaker, considering they own a company like Harman Audio.  
    Samsung is further behind in this market than Apple, since Apple has the premiere distribution network, and customers, as Daniel noted.
    Samsung already announced that they are working on a smart speaker product, which will be delayed because of "Bixby", so yeah, they are already in the market.

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsungs-bixby-smart-speaker-to-take-on-apple-homepod-in-second-half-of-2018

"As first reported by the Wall Street Journal, Samsung will release a “premium” Bixby smart speaker in the second half of 2018. Koh’s announcement contradicted an earlier report from Bloomberg that it would sell the speaker early in the year".

So Samsung is building a "premium" smart speaker that looks to be, at best, a direct competitor to Apple's "HomePod" premium smart speaker. 

I suppose they have the companies to make a speaker that sounds good.  But when you mention Bixby... :(
    williamlondon
  • Reply 49 of 117
    danvm said:

Based in many reviews, the HomePod sound quality is very similar to the Google Home Max, 

That isn’t what I’ve read at all. 
    I suppose you already read the AppleInsider comparison with the Sound Max, and they concluded "Fortunately, there isn't enough of a difference between the two to justify buying one or the other for sound quality reasons alone."  

There are a few blind tests, with the same results,

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/head-head-apple-homepod-really-sound-best-160346138.html

And the one I think you trust more, the Consumer Reports review, which said that the competition is better.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/smart-speakers/apple-homepod-early-test-results/

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 50 of 117
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:

Yes and perhaps we will one day build a space elevator. Who cares what’s possible? Let’s talk about the real products here in real life, please. 
    Looks like Samsung speaker is real, and coming in the 2nd half of this year.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/26/samsung-delays-its-bixby-powered-homepod-competitor-into-second-half-of-2018

williamlondon
  • Reply 51 of 117
    danvm said:
    jcs2305 said:
    danvm said:

If these two speakers aren't premium than please elaborate what you would consider premium?  Also Samsung has barely owned Harman for a year so don't go acting like they are suddenly deeply involved in design with these companies as of yet.

I don't consider speaker the size of the HomePod or Sound Max premium.  When you listen to high end speakers, that cost thousands of dollars, the definition of premium changes.  IMO, the HomePod may sound good for a $350 small speaker, but that doesn't means it's a premium quality speaker.  And yes, the Samsung acquisition was recent, that could be the reason they don't have a smart speaker in the market. 
    What you consider is largely irrelevant, as “quality” is a relative term that doesn’t imply a given form factor size. The use case for the HP is a shelf speaker, not a hifi system. So indeed it can be a high-quality speaker for this use case and form factor. We’re comparing like to like here. 
    williamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 117
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

Based in many reviews, the HomePod sound quality is very similar to the Google Home Max, 

I suppose you already read the AppleInsider comparison with the Sound Max, and they concluded "Fortunately, there isn't enough of a difference between the two to justify buying one or the other for sound quality reasons alone."  

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/head-head-apple-homepod-really-sound-best-160346138.html

And the one I think you trust more, the Consumer Reports review, which said that the competition is better.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/smart-speakers/apple-homepod-early-test-results/

Pogue’s test was hopefully flawed - not double blind, used a non acoustically-neutral curtain, and ordered the test playback in the same order every time. 

And CR is a joke. 

What I’ve read from people on reddit and the blogosphere said HP is notably better, and cheaper. 

pscooter63williamlondonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 117

danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

DanVM,

http://www.loopinsight.com/2018/01/24/on-homepod-and-audio-quality/

The room correction applied after probing its own position isn’t simplistic DSP of frequency response, as the speaker has seven drivers that are used to create a beamforming speaker array,. so they can direct specific sound in specific directions. The only other speakers that do this is the Beolab 90, and Lexicon SL-1. The Beolab 90 is $85,000/pair, and no price tag is set for the Lexicon, but the expectation in the industry is “astronomical”.

All that technology, and it's sounds as good as the competition. 

BTW, in addition to the beamforming, the Beolab 90 18-drivers and each driver has its own DAC and ICEpower class-D power amplifier.  The Lexicon has 12 dome tweeters, 8 midrange drivers and 4 woofers.  Both speakers should should sound spectacular, and that's because of the whole package, not just because they use a beamforming array.  The HomePod has a beamforming array, but that's not the only thing that defines a speaker.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 54 of 117
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:
    danvm said:

By that same logic Apple wasn’t behind in the market, despite what everyone else has been saying for a year. 

If that's the case, Apple is behind, considering that have a product in the market.
    edited February 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 55 of 117
    danvm said:
    jcs2305 said:
    danvm said:

What you consider is largely irrelevant, as “quality” is a relative term that doesn’t imply a given form factor size. The use case for the HP is a shelf speaker, not a hifi system. So indeed it can be a high-quality speaker for this use case and form factor. We’re comparing like to like here. 
    If you noticed, I use the term "high end speakers" and not "high quality" as you mention.  Yes, the HomePod, Home Max and Sonos can be considered "high quality" speakers in the smartspeaker category.  But they are not "high end" speakers.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 56 of 117
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

Pogue’s test was hopefully flawed - not double blind, used a non acoustically-neutral curtain, and ordered the test playback in the same order every time. 

And CR is a joke. 

What I’ve read from people on reddit and the blogosphere said HP is notably better, and cheaper. 

First you said "that isn’t what I’ve read at all", but it seems you have read those reviews before.  If you don't agree with them is another story.  Again, not all reviews agree that the HomePod are the best speakers compared to Google and Sonos products. 

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 57 of 117
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    I can’t imagine the engineering that will go into getting two HomePods to work in stereo. There are many factors that have to be worked out. One HomePod is analyzing the characteristics of the environment and making intelligent decisions about compensation and “opening up” the sound to the room. A second HomePod would do the same and have to be aware of the first HomePod. There are sooo many timing and phase issues that it is not funny. And on top of that it has to maintain the “stereo” image that the mixing engineers/producers intended. It is no surprise that Apple is still working on this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 117
    danvm said:
    jcs2305 said:
    danvm said:

Why waste time on this troll? The only downside to blocking trolls (as I've done with this one) is when they are quoted by others and I see their garbage again.
    StrangeDayspscooter632old4funrandominternetpersonwilliamlondonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 117
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

cpsro said:
    cpsro said:
    Too bad it (re)produces infrasound found in many live audio streams.  Very annoying.
    What does that mean?  
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/27/ice-schaaf-warning-of-recent-sweep-was-irresponsible-decision/
    tmay said:
    cpsro said:
    Too bad it (re)produces infrasound found in many live audio streams.  Very annoying.
    Infrasound is below the limits of human hearing, first of all, and almost certainly below the limits of what the HomePod can reproduce.
    Infrasound is below the frequency where you'd hear a "tone," but it's very perceptible as pressure waves hitting the eardrums.  The HomePod is quite capable of producing annoying infrasound--predictable from the high excursion subwoofer it contains--and as evidenced by my personal experience listening to NPR radio on the device. Outdoor venues often have wind noise and in-studio programs sometimes pick up people blowing on the mic as they speak.
    Which is why the studio should be using pop filters on their end. 
    Yes, kinda weird to ask a speaker to filter out some poor recording and mastering boo boo and degrade the sound.

I create live webinars and vlogs and podcasts for our corp and all of those sounds can be solved during recording (setting levels, putting limiters, installing mikes at the right place, etc), by having the proper equipment, or if that wasn't done, in post (which can be a bitch, but is very doable if you are patient).

Not sure wth they're using that you pick up wind noises, but anyone who half decent at setting up a live recording should know how to fix this.
    edited February 2018 pscooter63muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 117
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

danvm said:
    danvm said:

Every review I’ve read said it sounds notably better than the other speakers, including more expensive products like the Max.
    There have been a few reviewers that found better sound from a HomePod competitor, Sonos and Home Max being ones off the top of my head, but yeah the HomePod is the one getting most of the attention. That some folks like "not-a-HomePod" sound better shouldn't be any real surprise since your perception of sound is subjective as is everyone else's.

edited February 2018 muthuk_vanalingamjony0