Apple said to have lured away Twitter, Palm, Kleiner Perkins veteran Michael Abbott with A...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has reportedly recruited Michael Abbott, who has a long history in the tech industry -- most notably serving as Twitter's VP of engineering, and heading up Palm's webOS team.

An announcement was made internally, but the hire hasn't been made public, according to MacGeneration. It's not clear what Abbott's new role might entail.

Last summer however he wrote a blog post admitting that he'd like to return to engineering, despite his work with venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins.

"I have come to understand that my real passion lies in the grappling to understand, develop and build new technologies," he wrote. "Like you, perhaps, I am captivated by what AR could enable, and fascinated by 'real' applications of AI/ML, or how security techniques from the world of geopolitics are influencing enterprise technologies."

All of those are fields Apple is trying to address. The company is rumored to be working on an augmented reality headset for instance, and is likely racing to upgrade Siri to better compete against voice assistants from Amazon and Google. In fact Siri and machine learning improvements would be integral to any AR plans.

Some of Abbott's other credits include working as a general manager at Microsoft, and serving a peripheral advisor, board, or investment role at organizations like Plex, Snap, and Healthcare.gov.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Strange the article didn't state his resume:
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelabbott/
    • BuddyBuild (acquired by Apple)
    • Jawbone
    • Healthcare.gov
    • Plex
    • CoreOS
    • Snapchat
    • ToyTalk

stantheman
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Strange the article didn't state his resume:
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelabbott/
    • BuddyBuild (acquired by Apple)
    • Jawbone
    • Healthcare.gov
    • Plex
    • CoreOS
    • Snapchat
    • ToyTalk

FTA: "Some of Abbott's other credits include working as a general manager at Microsoft, and serving a peripheral advisor, board, or investment role at organizations like Plex, Snap, and Healthcare.gov."
    perpetual3fastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Don’t like the Healthcare.gov connection, but will be interesting to see the effects of his hiring.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Biochemist/Mollecular biologist/Pharmacologist. 

Interesting educational background.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Don’t like the Healthcare.gov connection, but will be interesting to see the effects of his hiring.
    Why? He was part of the massive overhaul to fix healthcare.gov, not the initial failed launch. I have a good friend that was involved in all that. I visited the US Digital Services offices and others, met a bunch of these people, and everything I learned about how this all went down, they did a LOT to fix the base causes of why we ended up with a broken-ass website to begin with. The only people who hate on those people are the government contractor firms that suck *millions* in fees (of your money) out of the system and deliver shitty websites, or nothing at all in some cases, who ended up pushed out by internal hiring of people like this who actually got stuff done.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Why? He was part of the massive overhaul to fix healthcare.gov, not the initial failed launch. I have a good friend that was involved in all that. I visited the US Digital Services offices and others, met a bunch of these people, and everything I learned about how this all went down, they did a LOT to fix the base causes of why we ended up with a broken-ass website to begin with. The only people who hate on those people are the government contractor firms that suck *millions* in fees (of your money) out of the system and deliver shitty websites, or nothing at all in some cases, who ended up pushed out by internal hiring of people like this who actually got stuff done.
    I don’t like the connection because it shouldn’t exist in the first place.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    I don’t like the connection because it shouldn’t exist in the first place.
    So, because Obama! and absolutely *nothing* to do with this guy's work or credentials. Got it. 
    stantheman