New rumor again claims Samsung cutting OLED shipments because of unexpected drop in iPhone...

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2018
Samsung is once again said to ship only half the number of OLED panels to Apple because of iPhone X order cuts as a result of poor demand, a questionable report again claimed on Thursday.

Samsung is expecting its 2018 operating profits from displays to fall short of some analyst estimates, Bloomberg's sources added. The company is said to be committed to OLED however, and not feeling any pressure to cut parts prices.

The cost of OLED is one reason the technology hasn't been more widely adopted, and one of the reasons the iPhone X starts at $999. Whereas the 5.5-inch LCD on the iPhone 8 Plus costs Apple about $52, IHS Markit estimates that the 5.8-inch OLED panel on the iPhone X is worth more than double -- $110. Expenses could go still higher with a rumored 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" coming later this year.

Last month Japan's Nikkei said Samsung was planning to more than halve OLED production in response to iPhone X sales. That report was met with skepticism, in part because the publication didn't cite any sources -- but Bloomberg didn't either.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said the iPhone X was the top-selling iPhone every week since its November debut, but that's relative to the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. Shipments of the iPhone were down year-over-year when compared on a quarterly basis, but were actually higher on a weekly basis because of an extra sales week in the holiday season of 2016.

There is no evidence that Samsung's over-supply of OLED materials because of iPhone X production demands is anything more than normal seasonality changes in orders.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    usmccopusmccop Posts: 9member
    Must of shorted. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    This must mean Apple doomed and therefore, Tim should be fired! 
    magman1979anomemavemufcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 33
    jmey267jmey267 Posts: 57member
    Can we stop with these bullsheet rumors and reporting this crap. All these unspecified sources manipulating the stock. FAKE NEWS!
    StrangeDaysMacPromagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    4th time the same shit analysts pushes this.
    magman1979mavemufcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    This is what happens when you do business with such a petty direct competitor.  Why wouldn't Samsung perpetuate this "low demand" narrative?  This the same company that openly mocked the "notch" in a commercial. 
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 33
    jmey267 said:
    Can we stop with these bullsheet rumors and reporting this crap. All these unspecified sources manipulating the stock. FAKE NEWS!
    Can we commit to stop saying and writing " Fake News" when we believe something to not be true... Please. please..pretty please.  :/
    dsdnetmage
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    jcs2305 said:
    jmey267 said:
    Can we commit to stop saying and writing " Fake News" when we believe something to not be true... Please. please..pretty please.  :/
    Yeah, you know what? That's an excellent idea. 

Forum rules revised.
    anomemike1gatorguynetmagechasmjony0
  • Reply 8 of 33
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Just read thru that Bloomberg hit piece, and sure enough, all they cite is "sources close to the matter", what a crock of shit! How much do you want to bet their "sources" is Nikkei's BS article?!

What do I have to do to get these scumbags prison time?!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 33
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

"This just in, rumours are spreading that curiously match rumours that were spreading at this time last week. Analysts predict that the same rumours will continue to circulate into next week. More details when we have them."

(Note: not a criticism of AI, but a criticism of the people who keep pushing this garbage.)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Junk story. Unexpected? Even if it was remotely true, it's the same story every January and February. 
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 33
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Really? Another rumour about the iPhone X dropping in demand, which it will anyway, and Apple will obviously be expecting it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    jungmark said:
    Junk story. Unexpected? Even if it was remotely true, it's the same story every January and February. 
    And every time it works, I thought it had tanked AAPL but I see it's not just AAPL  and our winner at the helm did it all by himself ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 33
    mavemufc said:
    Really? Another rumour about the iPhone X dropping in demand, which it will anyway, and Apple will obviously be expecting it.
    I actually said "Really" out loud when I saw this. Funny the week following the S9 release this somehow pops back up and is "reconfirmed"? Hahaha  Come on!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Same garbage, different day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    macxpress said:
    All I know is that this would never have happened under Steve.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    anome said:
    macxpress said:
    All I know is that this would never have happened under Steve.
    Steve would still be alive if he was in charge! /s
    anomemike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 33
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

If Steve were alive we'd all be flying our iJetPacks by now!
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Rhetorical question because Apple knows: Reduction due to punk iPhone X sales, or because Apple's just taking work away from Samsung? I know; can't expect too much facts in reportage. (I don't blame AI because they're reporting on someone else's story.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Manqueman said:
    Rhetorical question because Apple knows: Reduction due to punk iPhone X sales, or because Apple's just taking work away from Samsung? I know; can't expect too much facts in reportage. (I don't blame AI because they're reporting on someone else's story.)
    It's hard to tell. Every year at this time we get the "OH GOD TERRIBLE iPHONE SALES CAUSING" reports from the supply chain. The reports of OLED cutbacks at Samsung are probably accurate, but the root cause doesn't look like anything more than normal seasonal cuts in ordering parts.

We do suspect that LG is getting into the OLED business for Apple, though, given the investment paper trail. So, maybe a little of both.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    But surely Samsung will need all the OLED screens it can make to put into its S9 series phones that are clearly going to outsell iPhones? /s
    watto_cobra