Apple granted patent using hinged OLED screen as a dynamic iPad or Mac keyboard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member

anome said:
    foggyhill said:
    I'm officially old now, the idea of trying to type without tactile keys sounds horrific.  I would understand for a future ipad if they wanted to make it foldable, but I do not want a MacBook that doesn't have a legit keyboard.   Now if they could do a near seemless design with some form of raised keys built into the display(which I don't think is anywhere near feasible atm), then I would be interested.  But for my use case, on a work machine, I want a physical keyboard with raised keys.  I type slower on laptop keyboards with less depth as is.
    I am with you 100%...
    Without a raised keyboard that you can feel, it is pretty much impossible to touch-type using all 8 fingers.

This could only work for those functions for which Apple is advertising its iPad as a laptop replacement -- which are not the current business type uses of a laptop but are less input intense and more oriented towards graphic output.  And, on the limited occasions where the user is typing input they are looking at the keys and using one or two fingers -- which is far less efficient.
    #NotMyKeyboard
    Come on, I'm a very fast typist and you can type hell of faster than 2 finger on a Ipad screen, can easily write the equivalent of a whole screenplay in a about 6h  (of course, that's copying, nobody's writing a drama screenplay in 6h :-).  Equivalent to one page per 3 minute, so not too stressful typing (screenplay are not full page of text).
     Typing a 120 page novela in 6h, well though would be impossible on an Ipad screen, 5000-6000 words per hour, 83-100 words per minutes, but doable by me on a very good keyboard (non spongy).

There is plenty of real business uses on an Ipad, even the spreadsheet "bogeyman", that one is actually doing on a 13 inch laptop either, is perfectly doable and I've been using Excel since the early 1990s, so I should know.

What happens is that people changes their workflow to suit the different way of using and manipulating data on tablets and phones. If you are trying to fit 1990s workflow into a modern paradygm, it won't fit that's for sure.
    Nope! Steve, knew better than to force people to change their workflow to fit his device.  
    Which is why he never introduced any technology that completely changed the way people interact with computers. You know, like at least twice.
    Funny  though how those "new things" have never replaced the old things like desktops and laptops.  Could it be that they can't do the things (workflow) that those so called "old, obsolete" things do on a daily basis?
    Sorry? You know the first of the times he did that was when he launched a consumer desktop with a GUI and Pointer interface? As used on desktops and laptops in various forms today?
  • Reply 42 of 50
    thttht Posts: 5,606member
    Patiently waiting for this, a dual display clamshell with the “bottom” essentially an iPad with Pencil compatibility.

This mock-up was making the rounds when the Touch Bar MBP came out:

This mockup didn’t go far enough as it has a gigantic trackpad surface on the bottom half. The bottom should be a big touch sensitive display, an iPad Pro, and a virtual trackpad could be implemented on screen. It’s not like Apple doesn’t already have trackpad like functionality for cursor placement in text fields already on iOS devices. So, take a 13.75” iPad display and put it on the bottom half of a MB or MBP.

And a force touch, tap force recognizing virtual keyboard with haptics could hopefully be developed. One that recognizes a tap, a touch, and can give a haptic feedback with a keyboard, trackpad strength tap. Way back, Apple developed tap force sensitivity for the GarageBand keyboard based on the accelerometer. Maybe a combination of both accelerometer and force touch techniques can be good enough for a virtual keyboard that let you lay your fingers on the virtual keyboard, which would recognize that as not a tap, while recognizing both a tap and a press like the Force Touch trackpads do.

I think something like this would be great for students and work. Handwritten notes for classes and meetings. Free form drawing input. Hopefully as good virtual keyboard input. Infinitely variable keyboard designs on the same machine. You can run iOS apps on this touch display on the bottom half.

Expensive though. Probably $1500 minimum for a model with 13.5” vertical display, 13.5” bottom touch display, and the rest of the computer parts, and the first models would be over $2000.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 43 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    tht said:
    Patiently waiting for this, a dual display clamshell with the “bottom” essentially an iPad with Pencil compatibility.

I was really hoping that the larger Trackpad on the current MBP would've ended up with Pencil support. I'd be all over that and ditch my Wacom.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 44 of 50
    foggyhill said:
    I'm officially old now, the idea of trying to type without tactile keys sounds horrific.  I would understand for a future ipad if they wanted to make it foldable, but I do not want a MacBook that doesn't have a legit keyboard.   Now if they could do a near seemless design with some form of raised keys built into the display(which I don't think is anywhere near feasible atm), then I would be interested.  But for my use case, on a work machine, I want a physical keyboard with raised keys.  I type slower on laptop keyboards with less depth as is.
    I am with you 100%...
    Without a raised keyboard that you can feel, it is pretty much impossible to touch-type using all 8 fingers.

This could only work for those functions for which Apple is advertising its iPad as a laptop replacement -- which are not the current business type uses of a laptop but are less input intense and more oriented towards graphic output.  And, on the limited occasions where the user is typing input they are looking at the keys and using one or two fingers -- which is far less efficient.
    #NotMyKeyboard
    Come on, I'm a very fast typist and you can type hell of faster than 2 finger on a Ipad screen, can easily write the equivalent of a whole screenplay in a about 6h  (of course, that's copying, nobody's writing a drama screenplay in 6h :-).  Equivalent to one page per 3 minute, so not too stressful typing (screenplay are not full page of text).
     Typing a 120 page novela in 6h, well though would be impossible on an Ipad screen, 5000-6000 words per hour, 83-100 words per minutes, but doable by me on a very good keyboard (non spongy).

There is plenty of real business uses on an Ipad, even the spreadsheet "bogeyman", that one is actually doing on a 13 inch laptop either, is perfectly doable and I've been using Excel since the early 1990s, so I should know.

What happens is that people changes their workflow to suit the different way of using and manipulating data on tablets and phones. If you are trying to fit 1990s workflow into a modern paradygm, it won't fit that's for sure.
    Nope! Steve, knew better than to force people to change their workflow to fit his device.  
    Are you kidding? You've obviously forgotten the iPad launch in which Jobs literally demonstrated how to change their workflow to fit his device, from sitting in a chair to how to hold it and interact with it. It's literally the last big product launch he did! What about the original Macintosh? That was the whole point of building it to begin with!

The revisionist history as told by people living in the past and convinced they know what Jobs did or "would never allow to happen" is bewildering.
    Did I forget the iPad?   Not at all!  It provided and provides new ways of doing certain things that are wonderful.  But, it has yet to replace the laptop.  Probably because it cannot (yet) meet the needs of those who laptops.   
    That's not what we were talking about though, was it.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    foggyhill said:
    I am with you 100%...

#NotMyKeyboard

Are you kidding? You've obviously forgotten the iPad launch in which Jobs literally demonstrated how to change their workflow to fit his device, from sitting in a chair to how to hold it and interact with it. It's literally the last big product launch he did! What about the original Macintosh? That was the whole point of building it to begin with!

The revisionist history as told by people living in the past and convinced they know what Jobs did or "would never allow to happen" is bewildering.
    Did I forget the iPad?   Not at all!  It provided and provides new ways of doing certain things that are wonderful.  But, it has yet to replace the laptop.  Probably because it cannot (yet) meet the needs of those who laptops.   
    That's not what we were talking about though, was it.
    Apparently we were, or I would not have responded to the question.
    ... You can go back to sleep now...
  • Reply 46 of 50
    thttht Posts: 5,606member
    tht said:

I was really hoping that the larger Trackpad on the current MBP would've ended up with Pencil support. I'd be all over that and ditch my Wacom.
    They need to go farther than adding Pencil compatibility to the trackpad. Just go all the way and have an “iPad” designed as an input device. Not an actual as an iPad you see today, but a product designed specifically for the purpose of input for a computer. It would just happen to have a lot in common with an iPad, so they are 90% of the way their as it were.

Apple’s keyboard is 11” wide. Design an 11” x 8.5” iPad like display: 120 Hz refresh rate (ProMotion), Multi-Touch, Force Touch including a Taptic Engine, an A10X SoC. This would be a 13.9” diagonal display. Put it in a housing that could be angled or be set flat like many an external keyboard today. Use the usual Lightning port to power and connect to a Macintosh.

A wireless version would have a battery in it, and it would then basically be like a WiFi iPad today, but in a casing designed for table top use.

Developers would get a nice bonus with being able to test their iOS apps on touch surface on either the laptop or a desktop. And of course, all the free form drawing input for notes, drawing, etc.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    tht said:
    tht said:

They need to go farther than adding Pencil compatibility to the trackpad. Just go all the way and have an “iPad” designed as an input device. Not an actual as an iPad you see today, but a product designed specifically for the purpose of input for a computer. It would just happen to have a lot in common with an iPad, so they are 90% of the way their as it were.

Apple’s keyboard is 11” wide. Design an 11” x 8.5” iPad like display: 120 Hz refresh rate (ProMotion), Multi-Touch, Force Touch including a Taptic Engine, an A10X SoC. This would be a 13.9” diagonal display. Put it in a housing that could be angled or be set flat like many an external keyboard today. Use the usual Lightning port to power and connect to a Macintosh.

A wireless version would have a battery in it, and it would then basically be like a WiFi iPad today, but in a casing designed for table top use.

Developers would get a nice bonus with being able to test their iOS apps on touch surface on either the laptop or a desktop. And of course, all the free form drawing input for notes, drawing, etc.
    You can more or less do this already with Astropad or Duet Display. 
  • Reply 48 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tht said:

Some aspects of the Apple Pencil combined with an iPad Pro I do like, but compared to my Wacom tablet I find it really lacking in comparison to the naturalistic input and effects I can achieve with a Wacom tablet and a Mac/iMac.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,442member
    tht said:
    tht said:

You can more or less do this already with Astropad or Duet Display. 
    And Apple already have the systems they need to make an iPad and a Mac a seemless pair with Extensions and WatchKit1 Sdk. 
    If Marizpane is real then that could get Mac apps to create an Interface Extension that can be projected on to an iPad to provide touch screen control.

Why make one niche device when to broad appeal devices could work together and service the same niche?
    Two devices will be better as you can mix and match to suit. Mac's in differents sizes teamed with iPads in different sizes to provide the ideal for more customers than any single device could.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 50 of 50
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,442member
    Also...
    Did anyone read the patent?

The whole is about changing polarization directions on each screen so they glare shield each other.
    It's like the authors designed the drawings to mess with people.