Apple's Cook uses photos from India's Holi festival to promote iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone
To promote the rear camera on the iPhone X, Apple CEO Tim Cook took to Twitter on Friday to share three photos from the Indian festival of Holi.

The images were shot in Nandgaon, Vrindavan, and Bengaluru, and show people covered in the colored dust the festival is known for. Each are by separate photographers -- Prashanth Viswanathan, Amit Mehra, and Ashish Parmar.

Mehra's Twitter profile shows him alongside Cook, while Parmar's includes a still used in a previous "Shot on iPhone" campaign for the iPhone 6s.

Apple has long made cameras a centerpiece of its iPhone marketing and development. That's been taken a step further with the iPhone X, which the company is now promoting for its augmented reality capabilities, as well as the Face ID and animoji technology made possible by the front-facing TrueDepth system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Always a great choice due to the people and color, but man did I not want to be involved as I had no idea how safe that colored dust is that I'd be breathing in.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Tim, this is the typical kind of saturated color photography that in which even your worst competitor would glorify...
    entropysjony0
  • Reply 3 of 13
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Gross  :|
  • Reply 4 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Aha, mystery solved as to why the Calendar apps on all my Apple devices shows "Holi" today. I thought it was a software bug. ;-( I hope everyone is having a good time bathing in color. Perhaps those with dust allergies can celebrate with a full stack of Starburst candies. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    There is a massive shit storm going on in the Apple Discussion Forums about what constitutes a U.S. holiday. People were complaining about Easter and other “U.S.” holidays not being included. Never mind the religious implications. So Apple apparently updated its U.S. Holidays calendar to include religious holidays of every major religion, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindi, as well as Kwanzaa and other secular holidays. Man did the crap hit the fan. Now people want to know how to delete today’s Holi as it is deemed by some to be not a U.S. holiday. Huge, hilarious arguments going on about what is or is not a U.S. holiday. The racism, bigotry, jingoism is on full blown display and I wonder why Apple hasn’t shut it down yet. There are a number of threads about this going full steam ahead. Amazing shit.
    fastasleepanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    lkrupp said:
    There is a massive shit storm going on in the Apple Discussion Forums about what constitutes a U.S. holiday. People were complaining about Easter and other “U.S.” holidays not being included. Never mind the religious implications. So Apple apparently updated its U.S. Holidays calendar to include religious holidays of every major religion, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindi, as well as Kwanzaa and other secular holidays. Man did the crap hit the fan. Now people want to know how to delete today’s Holi as it is deemed by some to be not a U.S. holiday. Huge, hilarious arguments going on about what is or is not a U.S. holiday. The racism, bigotry, jingoism is on full blown display and I wonder why Apple hasn’t shut it down yet. There are a number of threads about this going full steam ahead. Amazing shit.

Why do people really care? Why in this day and age does everyone have to get their panties in a bunch over every single little thing? Where did we go wrong?
    muthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 7 of 13
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Latko said:
    Tim, this is the typical kind of saturated color photography that in which even your worst competitor would glorify...
    This dust IS that saturated and come out bright under light. In this case, it's truth in advertising.
    anantksundarammuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 13
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lkrupp said:
    You mean "amazing" in amazing we're still alive on earth in the face of such stupidity.
    It's like people don't realize we all live on the same planet, breathing the same air and have in fact more genetic variance between a random neighbor of the same race than the one related to race / skin color alone.

Basically, there the differences between us are mostly cultural and that's what makes mankin such kins and squabbling kins at that.
    edited March 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I can see this thread getting closed soon....
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    If you can't find your thread, most likely you got caught up in a sweep. However, one of you violated like three forum rules. Don't do it again.

If you think it was you, re-read the commenting guidelines.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    So what I was going to originally say, was... the edge detection on the hair in the Portrait Lighting shot is really bad, I'm kind of surprised he shared that one, at least without cropping it out.

muthuk_vanalingamTuuboranantksundaram
  • Reply 12 of 13
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    If you can't find your thread, most likely you got caught up in a sweep. However, one of you violated like three forum rules. Don't do it again.

If you think it was you, re-read the commenting guidelines.
    The level of ignorance and prejudice that I sometimes run into in my country makes me weep. 
    fastasleep