Amazon to stop sales of all Nest products as battle with Google intensifies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2018
Customers will soon be unable to find products made by Google-owned Nest on Amazon, a result of a decision the online retail giant made to not to carry the smart home device maker's latest gear, a report said on Friday.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Business Insider reports Amazon informed Nest in a conference call late last year that it would not sell the firm's newest products, which includes devices like the Nest Cam IQ and forthcoming Hello video-enabled doorbell.

Amazon said the decision came "from the top" and had nothing to do with Nest's product quality, leading some Nest employees to speculate it was Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos who made the call, the report said.

In response, Nest has resolved to discontinue dealings with Amazon, meaning currently available items like the Nest Security Camera and third-generation Nest Learning Thermostat will disappear from Amazon's digital shelves once existing stock runs dry. A source said Nest wants to present customers its entire lineup or nothing at all, the report said.

The move comes as Amazon looks to leverage its prominent market position to push into the connected home space. Riding on a wave of success from its Alexa virtual assistant ecosystem, the e-commerce titan recently purchased connected doorbell and security device manufacturer Ring.

Ring's Video Doorbell and outdoor Floodlight Cam both compete against products from Nest, though Amazon's decision does not smack of anticompetitive behavior. The online retailer currently sells a number of similar devices from various manufacturers.

It is Amazon's ongoing battle with Google that might be to blame. Google this month announced plans to absorb Nest into its Google Home division, a strategy it says will "supercharge" Nest's mission to create a more "thoughtful" home.

"By working together, we'll continue to combine hardware, software and services to create a home that's safer, friendlier to the environment, smarter and even helps you save money -- built with Google's artificial intelligence and the Assistant at the core," Google SVP of Hardware Rick Osterloh said in a blog post.

Amazon's Alexa and Echo series of speakers is challenged by Google Assistant and Google Home, which multiplied last year with the release of Google Home Mini and Google Home Max.

In line with its recent decision to ban new Nest products from its site, Amazon does not carry Google's Home line, Chromecast hardware or Pixel smartphone. Likewise, Google in December blocked YouTube compatibility with Amazon's FireTV platform and Echo Show device.

Amazon is in a precarious position as it both courts and competes with major tech companies. The firm had a similar tiff with Apple.

In 2015, Amazon yanked Apple TV from availability, saying the device was removed because it did not "interact well" with Amazon Prime Video. At the time, the company refused to develop a Prime Video channel for Apple TV, assumedly due to Apple's mandated 30 percent cut of content sales.

Most recently, however, Amazon reinstated sales of Apple TV in December and released a Prime Video app for tvOS.

Today's report suggests the same thawing of relations could happen with Google, as Amazon plans to reboot Chromecast sales in the near future. Whether the olive branch is enough to get YouTube working on FireTV -- and ultimately Nest products back on Amazon shelves -- remains to be seen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Colour me surprised, two industry brats acting bratty to each other. /s
    bigpicsracerhomie3Muntzmagman1979pslicewatto_cobrabshankjbdragonpscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Given that I buy jack squat from Amazon anymore, after years of Prime membership (membership cancelled but account still active--I think?), this is a non-issue.  Yet, it confirms only what has alienated me more and more from Amazon at all...that Amazon is taking over the world, just as Wal-Mart had in retail.  People want choices, not oligarchies and between Amazon's drones, their own air service, their refusal to play nice with others, and their invasion of people's homes with Alexa (that's a Soviet name, no? : ) ) they are now what Apple wanted to be before it went Intel and in Steve Jobs' first go.   ...except about 177.9 billion times worse.  With all that cash Google has maybe it's time for them to take Amazon head on and end the surging dictatorship, lest we're all forced to cry "Heil Bezos" before long.  
  • Reply 3 of 30
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Next up: HomePod 
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 4 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, brother. To hell with both of ‘em.
    Muntzmagman1979bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Actually this might be the break Apple is waiting for to get Siri and HomeKit positioned to be a more adequate competitor. If you look closely you can see how Amazon doesn't really like to showcase HomeKit products unless they are also compatible with Alexa. 

Bezos is hell bent on owning the home automation market. So much so that he is trying to get Amazon to be a one stop shop with installation of anything that is home automation and uses Alexa.  Amazon is pushing that service in Seattle and trying to break into the California and Arizona markets for over a year now. I don't know how much money he'll throw at it until he realizes it's not profitable to install and support someone else's hardware. 

If Google and Amazon escalate this, Amazon might end up with the Kindle Fire as a casualty and Google could loose Amazon video on anything powered by Android. 

Still good news for Apple. 
    Muntzmagman1979watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Actually this might be the break Apple is waiting for to get Siri and HomeKit positioned to be a more adequate competitor. If you look closely you can see how Amazon doesn't really like to showcase HomeKit products unless they are also compatible with Alexa. 

Bezos is hell bent on owning the home automation market. So much so that he is trying to get Amazon to be a one stop shop with installation of anything that is home automation and uses Alexa.  Amazon is pushing that service in Seattle and trying to break into the California and Arizona markets for over a year now. I don't know how much money he'll throw at it until he realizes it's not profitable to install and support someone else's hardware. 

If Google and Amazon escalate this, Amazon might end up with the Kindle Fire as a casualty and Google could loose Amazon video on anything powered by Android. 

Still good news for Apple. 
    Amazon want's to be "Big and Large" from "Wall-e", aka, a monopoly. That's Jeff's business model. 
    watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    Does Amazon sell equivalent Apple products such as the Home Pod in the US? It’s not on the Canadian site or app. Although there are HomePod books and accessories available. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    superaaron99superaaron99 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    These two are going to end up killing innovation if things keep going the way they’re going. 
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    US Amazon Plus ("We own the idea of America")
    edited March 2018 Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30

Bezos is hell bent on owning the home automation market.
    Don't you really mean the 'Always on Spy in the Home' market. A certain George Orwell would be really proud of Amazon.

Never ever going to have any of this IOT [redacted] in my home and connected to the outside world. Even my so called 'smart TV' is only connected once a year to hopefully get updates. Outside of that it remains an island.

Amazon is IMHO going hell for leather to drive every other retailer out of business. They are in a position to out WalMart, WalMart but now on a global scale. When they succeed we will have no option but to pay their then vastly inflated prices.
    Just my worthless opinion and as such, can be ignored.

edited March 2018 Muntz2old4funphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 30

Don't you really mean the 'Always on Spy in the Home' market. A certain George Orwell would be really proud of Amazon.

Never ever going to have any of this IOT [redacted] in my home and connected to the outside world. Even my so called 'smart TV' is only connected once a year to hopefully get updates. Outside of that it remains an island.

Amazon is IMHO going hell for leather to drive every other retailer out of business. They are in a position to out WalMart, WalMart but now on a global scale. When they succeed we will have no option but to pay their then vastly inflated prices.

Walmart gets what it deserves. At one point they were the ones who drove the mom and pop stores out of business. Amazon may put a hurt on them, but I think ultimately Walmart has enough lobbying money to put the hurt on Amazon. 
    watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 12 of 30

I would note that Chinese companies have online presence, but expansion interests worldwide, and Amazon will likely end up hitting a bureaucratic/regulatory wall expanding into the EU and many other regions in the world. The U.S. in recent years, has become much more Laissez Faire about retail sales and operations, which allowed Amazon to happen, and Wal Mart, for whatever ineptitude that they have in online, have similar distribution infrastructure to Amazon, and much higher revenue and profits. Not saying that Amazon won't continue to dominate, but the warning signs are there for some reversals if they play too aggressive. I personally find that blocking sales of competitors home connection, smart, and media devices to boost sales of their own platforms is short sighted.

Still, I'm impressed with the overreach that Amazon is demonstrating. Its true motives in these actions; extending online retail dominance, and attempting to create an impenetrable moat to Google's expansion into retail and devices sales.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Kinda murky waters here. Is it okay to ban your competitor’s products from your store? On the one hand Amazon should have the right to stock or not stock whatever products it deems acceptable. On the other hand Amazon is the absolute dominant online retailer so is it restraint of trade for Amazon to ban their competitor from their store arbitrarily? They did it to Apple with the TV and Prime app. They got away with it. No government agency even took a look at it to my knowledge. What if Amazon did this to a start-up or much smaller competitor than Google or Apple? Would anyone care? Just seems weaselly of Amazon to act like this but we don’t know the smoke-filled back room story behind it. Google is no saint either... or Apple.
    junkiebshankwatto_cobrajbdragonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That's good news for Apple. Leave the others in precarious positions; Apple has the whole ecosystem in place. Next up: Made For HomeKit
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 15 of 30
    lkrupp said:
    Kinda murky waters here. Is it okay to ban your competitor’s products from your store? On the one hand Amazon should have the right to stock or not stock whatever products it deems acceptable. On the other hand Amazon is the absolute dominant online retailer so is it restraint of trade for Amazon to ban their competitor from their store arbitrarily? They did it to Apple with the TV and Prime app. They got away with it. No government agency even took a look at it to my knowledge. What if Amazon did this to a start-up or much smaller competitor than Google or Apple? Would anyone care? Just seems weaselly of Amazon to act like this but we don’t know the smoke-filled back room story behind it. Google is no saint either... or Apple.
    Amazon is very weak on sales of counterfeit products as well:

https://www.elevationlab.com/blogs/news/amazon-is-complicit-with-counterfeit-sellers

watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 30
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    Amazon is very weak on sales of counterfeit products as well:

https://www.elevationlab.com/blogs/news/amazon-is-complicit-with-counterfeit-sellers

You can't have a "restraint of trade" where Google and everyone else has an unlimited number of options to sell their products, including their own websites, stores, etc. There are  many thousands of brick and mortar stores that carry Google products and even more on line.  No, not in a free and capitalist country can you be forced to sell your competitors products because you have a successful store.  Walmart is the biggest retailer in the world,  but Target can't force them to carry Target brand merchandise. Starbucks if by far the number one coffee retailer, but they can't be forced to sell Peet's coffee in their stores.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Both of them are monopolies, time to break them up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    kestral said:
    Both of them are monopolies, time to break them up.
    No true and not gonna happen. I think the EU makes the same absurd claim that Google is a monopoly. Try DuckDuckGo instead, for one thing.
    watto_cobrajbdragonpscooter63mike1
  • Reply 19 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Colour me surprised, two industry brats acting bratty to each other. /s
    This happens with Apple, too. We’ve seen some t with many products over the years that will eat removed and then put back after they’ve come to an agreement.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 30
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Amazon pisses me off with almost everything it does. I don't trust Nest, so this won't affect me personally, but it's the principle of the thing. 
    watto_cobrajbdragonrandominternetperson