iPhone owners aren't upgrading to iPhone X due to price, lack of exciting features, survey...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    DAalseth said:
    For example, 44 percent of respondents said they have yet to upgrade because "my iPhone works fine," a reply that implies iPhone X either lacks "must have" features or asks too much for the functions it does offer. 

That seems to be a logical jump. My Phone Works Fine means they aren't shopping for a phone.  They aren't in the market because they are happy with what they have. I have an iPhoneSE. I didn't upgrade to an X. I also didn't upgrade to an 8 or a 7. Not because they are lackluster or have no impressive features. They do. Not because they were too expensive. If I needed or wanted a $1k phone I could figure out how to make that work. I didn't upgrade because My Phone Works Fine. I don't need a new one. I have a car. I didn't buy a new one of those last year for the same reason. I also didn't buy a new house or replace my cat. The one I have now works fine. When I encounter a problem, such as I can't run the latest iOS, or load the software I need, then I'll look at it. Until then the iPhone XI could have a 10000ppi screen, read my mind and cost $200 and I still would not feel much of an urge to get one. I don't need a new phone. So the assertion that My Phone Works Fine implies anything beyond that they are a happy customer is really stretching.

Best post ever ^
    baconstang
  • Reply 22 of 91
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    I am an Apple shareholder since about the time of the OS X Public Beta- well before the bandwagon- and would not shell out $1,000 for a cell phone if Steve Jobs arose from the grave and hand delivered it to me.

It is a phone, people. A nice phone, but not worth $1,000. Back when I was buying my first Apple stock that would buy you an iMac.

Not trying to be a troll, but I consider a $1,000 phone to be an IQ test. If you buy it, you lose.
    I am an Apple shareholder since about the time of the OS X Public Beta- well before the bandwagon- and would not shell out $1,000 for a cell phone if Steve Jobs arose from the grave and hand delivered it to me.

It is a phone, people. A nice phone, but not worth $1,000. Back when I was buying my first Apple stock that would buy you an iMac.

Not trying to be a troll, but I consider a $1,000 phone to be an IQ test. If you buy it, you lose.
    In other words you could sell 5 of those shares you bought for 12 bucks each and have a really nice phone. Can’t take it with you after all.
    radarthekatmikeybabesking editor the grate
  • Reply 23 of 91
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Anilu_777 said:
    I thought long and hard before upgrading from the 6S Plus. With all the rumours I was set on the X. But when I realized that it was the same physical size as the 6/7, I backed off. I have had large phones for years and need the size. I got the 8 Plus instead and I’m very happy with it. 
    Change 6S Plus to 6 and my decision was the same as yours.  I opted for the larger screen of the 8+ over the X.  When a larger X model appears I’ll buy it.  That or a larger LCD model.  I’m envisioning a Touch ID model that loses the top bezel in favor of a notch that holds the standard front facing camera, proximity sensor and phone speaker. Sort of a chimera between the 8+’and the X.  
  • Reply 24 of 91

How is it a $1000 phone?  That would be the price if it we’re an Android. You’d pay out $1000, use it for two years and it’d be worth nothing.  But this is an iPhone.  You shell out $1000, use it for three years and then sell it for maybe $400.  Total cost of ownership: $600, $200/year for a great user experience versus constantly futzing with a finicky Android.  
    edited March 2018 racerhomie3mikeybabesking editor the grateStrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 91
    DAalseth said:
    For example, 44 percent of respondents said they have yet to upgrade because "my iPhone works fine," a reply that implies iPhone X either lacks "must have" features or asks too much for the functions it does offer. 

That seems to be a logical jump. My Phone Works Fine means they aren't shopping for a phone.  They aren't in the market because they are happy with what they have. I have an iPhoneSE. I didn't upgrade to an X. I also didn't upgrade to an 8 or a 7. Not because they are lackluster or have no impressive features. They do. Not because they were too expensive. If I needed or wanted a $1k phone I could figure out how to make that work. I didn't upgrade because My Phone Works Fine. I don't need a new one. I have a car. I didn't buy a new one of those last year for the same reason. I also didn't buy a new house or replace my cat. The one I have now works fine. When I encounter a problem, such as I can't run the latest iOS, or load the software I need, then I'll look at it. Until then the iPhone XI could have a 10000ppi screen, read my mind and cost $200 and I still would not feel much of an urge to get one. I don't need a new phone. So the assertion that My Phone Works Fine implies anything beyond that they are a happy customer is really stretching.

You have a cat that works just fine?  My search is over!

Rest of your comment is spot on!  
    bonobobking editor the grate
  • Reply 26 of 91
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    DAalseth said:

Exactly. Still very happy with my iPhone 6 Plus. It just works.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Jackass analyst ignores that fact that most people didn't upgrade because their older iPhone was working just fine. Any consumer with a half a brain isn't necessarily going to toss away a perfectly good device for something newer if they're already satisfied with what they're using. This analyst is retarded just like most greedy investors who believe consumers should upgrade their iPhones/smartphones every year whether they need to or not. That doesn't make any sense and it sure isn't good for the ecology. What would be the point in a company making quality products that last a long time if consumers were going to dump them long before they stop working? I'm sure any flagship iPhone/smartphone will last a consumer three good years if not abused or dropped. It was already said that Apple product users keep their devices longer than most other product users do. I'd say Apple products are built to last and that's a good thing. Only Wall Street is stupid enough to turn that into a negative thing. Those Wall Street pigs make me sick with their greed-filled thinking.
    baconstangtokyojimu
  • Reply 28 of 91
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Not me: I upgraded to the X from the 7 Plus and wouldn’t go back. I like the ease of Face ID, the shape, the extra speed and the screen is gorgeous. On the Apple finance plan the cost difference was negligible. 

No reason NOT to upgrade. 
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 29 of 91
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Perhaps a better survey would have been to ask people who bought an iPhone 6s or 7 or 8 why they chose that phone instead of an iPhone X, since that is what the analysts (and Apple) care about. To a certain extent, the question they did ask is relevant, though, since part of introducing a new phone is enticing users who have a functional phone to upgrade, even though they may not truly need to.

I just replaced my daughter's iPhone 5s and bought an iPhone 8 instead of an iPhone X. I told her that I would pay for a base iPhone 8, and if she wanted extra memory or an iPhone X she could pay the difference. She payed the extra $150 for the 256GB iPhone 8 but didn't even look at an iPhone X. There are precious few differences between the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 that matter for the vast majority of users, and $1000-1150 is pretty hard to swallow when you can pay $300 less for a phone that does everything except give you a laughing piece of poo.
    entropyscroprdecodering
  • Reply 30 of 91
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    I didn't replace my SE with an X, because the X doesn't fit in my pocket.
    If they release an SE2, I will seriously consider it, regardless of price.  It would be nice to update the SE with current HW and maybe they can increase the screen without enlarging the case.  
    bonobobracerhomie3
  • Reply 31 of 91
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    I didn't upgrade because the iPhone X is TOO SMALL. 
    I want the iPhone X PLUS coming out this year.

macplusplus
  • Reply 32 of 91
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    This survey has the wrong group sampled. It should be the group that bought a new iPhone in the time the iPhone X was available, but bought another model.
    The 44% group could have all sorts of reasons why they didn’t buy a new phone, period, let alone why they didn’t buy an iPhone X.

For what it’s worth, we bought an iPhone 8 because we couldn’t stretch to an iPhone X.
    I suspect Apple isn’t too cut up about that.

one more thing: I do appreciate that Appleinsider covered enough information in this article so I wasn’t tempted to succumb to the obvious click bait of the original article.
    edited March 2018 baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 91
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Meanwhile S9 has failed ,even in South Korea.

• Reply 34 of 91
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    entropys said:
    This survey has the wrong group sampled. It should be the group that bought a new iPhone in the time the iPhone X was available, but bought another model.
    The 44% group could have all sorts of reasons why they didn’t buy a new phone, period, let alone why they didn’t buy an iPhone X.

For what it’s worth, we bought an iPhone 8 because we couldn’t stretch to an iPhone X.
    I suspect Apple isn’t too cut up about that.

one more thing: I do appreciate that Appleinsider covered enough information in this article so I wasn’t tempted to succumb to the obvious click bait.
    I suspect Apple isn't too cut up about anyone using one of their products. I means they fairly good ways of getting money even from a 6year old phone and a pretty good head run at being chosen when those people do update. I think that is what these surveys gloss over the longer it is the greater potential someone has of being next years customers. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 35 of 91
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Meanwhile Analyst predicts , water is wet!!!
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 36 of 91
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Piper Jaffrey, eh?

The majority said “my iPhone works fine”... so price ISN’T the issue for most of the people surveyed.

I’d have to read the original report though, because I’ve been burned quite a few times by manipulated headlines here... but to be honest I’m not concerned enough to look into it any further.
    edited March 2018 JFC_PA
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    We asked six hundred people who don’t like Bovril why they didn’t like Bovril. 

Out of those six hundred, five hundred and ninety-nine said they didn’t like the taste; one person said he found it inadequate as a tool for initimate role play. 

The purpose of this survey was to squeeze the word “Apple” into a click-bait headline where it’ll be picked up by the lesser blogs. 

Always sad to see. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 91
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member

The original iPhone 8gb adjusted for inflation would run $733 at today's prices. So, to me the price isn't totally inconceivable. 
    baconstangrandominternetperson
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Piper Jaffrey, eh?

The majority said “my iPhone works fine”... so price ISN’T the issue for most of the people surveyed.

I’d have to read the original report though, because I’ve been burned quite a few times by manipulated headlines here... but to be honest I’m not concerned enough to look into it any further.
    Yes, “manipulated” is the word I would have used, and when this becomes a regular occurrence then the blog’s slide usually starts from there. 

A few months ago, AI tried to slip in a headline using the universally despised “Folks are going nuts for THIS product” format. When I read it I thought, “Oh dear.”  

randominternetperson
  • Reply 40 of 91
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Or because we just shelled out $1,000 for the iPhone 7+ a year ago..