Video demonstrates iPhone 6s performance before and after battery replacement

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2018
A video posted to YouTube over the weekend compares the operating performance of an iPhone 6s before and after its battery is replaced, demonstrating in real time the nominal gains users can expect to see when a device is no longer software throttled.

Posted by Bennett Sorbo, the video shows an iPhone 6s, presumably with a depleted battery cell, running through a number of various CPU-intensive tasks like opening apps, browsing the web, playing games and videos, and finally chewing through a Geekbench benchmark test.

Completed in real time, the casual evaluation pits an iPhone with original hardware on the left against the same handset with a fresh battery on the right. Sorbo does not specify whether the battery replacement procedure was performed by Apple or a third party, but the results do reveal a marked improvement in performance, both in real world use and synthetic testing.

With its original, potentially depleted battery, Sorbo's iPhone completed the impromptu suite of tests in 5 minutes and 45 seconds. That time is over a minute longer than the same iPhone with a new battery, which flew through the same operations in 4 minutes and 33 seconds.

In addition to time, the iPhone rated a single-core Geekbench score of 1437 points and a multi-core score of 2485 with its original battery. With a new battery, the iPhone clocked scores of 2520 and 4412, respectively.

While not earth-shattering news, Sorbo's video is among the first to successfully demonstrate Apple's much ballyhooed iOS battery management feature in action.

Rolled out quietly with iOS 10.2.1 in 2016, the feature is designed to temporarily slow down iPhones with aging batteries to prevent them from unexpectedly shutting down. While Apple claims it made users aware of the CPU throttling feature, its "discovery" by a Reddit user last December dredged up speculation that the company engineers its hardware to intentionally fail in a bid to drive new unit sales.

An Apple legal representative said such theories are false in an explanation of the situation to Canada's parliament last week.

"The sole purpose of the software update in this case was to help customers to continue to use older iPhones with aging batteries without shutdowns - not to drive them to buy newer devices," said Jacqueline Famulak, Apple Canada's Manager of Legal and Government Affairs, in a prepared statement.

In the face of consumer pushback, a growing list of class-action lawsuits and governmental probes, Apple ultimately apologized to iPhone owners for a lack of transparency and cut prices on out-of-warranty battery replacements. It is these replacements that are now boosting the performance of older iPhones, like the iPhone 6s seen in Sorbo's video.

In addition to the replacement program, Apple will soon allow users to monitor battery integrity and manually disable CPU throttling once iOS 11.3 sees release. Beta versions of the software have been circulating for weeks, though testers got their first look at the new system oversight feature in February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Meanwhile Android phones with old batteries literally shutdown while making calls.
    edited March 2018 radarthekat[Deleted User]jkichlineGeorgeBMacredgeminipajahblademacxpressairnerdanton zuykovlamboaudi4
  • Reply 2 of 48
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Not that I believe everything Apple said. But I have faith that Apple will not purposely hurt the user experience. Apple is not Samsung. 

Except Apple Music match.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    They have done , all the things a good company should have done. They tried to fix a problem. Other companies do not even care about their 2 year old hardware.
    radarthekat[Deleted User]GeorgeBMacredgeminipajahbladeanton zuykovjony0
  • Reply 4 of 48
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Battery is always a diversion of attention. What really matter is the Service Level Differentiation (SLD). It’s an example, I don’t mean Apple has done it. I have no evidence that Apple has done it. But what if iCloud and Xcode (e.g. UIKit & Foundation or any Kits and framework can provide different levels of service responses or priorities according to the model and country of a particular model on a particular date or period? Unless it’s explicitely stated in the agreement, no one, except Apple, can deny such possibility that your device on hand can be throttled at whatever performance degradation they want. I’m just talking about a theory.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ivanh said:
    I have no evidence that Apple has done it. 
    Ah right, I can stop reading here then. 
    edited March 2018 bonobobracerhomie3tmayStrangeDayssupadav03lkruppGeorgeBMacnetmagejony0
  • Reply 6 of 48

viclauyyc said:
    Not that I believe everything Apple said. But I have faith that Apple will not purposely hurt the user experience. Apple is not Samsung. 

Except Apple Music match.
    Okay, then what did Apple have to gain by deliberately hurting users with Music Match?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 48

Meanwhile Android phones with old batteries literally shutdown while making calls.
    Yes, but the interesting thing here is that when someone complains about this on an Android forum, the first reply was to get the battery checked/replaced. 

Which kinda explodes the notion that Android users are dumber. I mean, I bet you won’t find many Android users who will deliberately set an option that will cause their phone to crash. 

Just sayin’
    lkruppjony0aylk
  • Reply 8 of 48
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    The other thing to consider is how fast your phone was out of the box on the OS it shipped with vs the current OS. Especially now that it's 64 bit. This to me is another thing some irate people don't think about. 

When was the last time you noticed your 6 was pretty fast?  What OS was it running?
    propod
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:

Yes, but the interesting thing here is that when someone complains about this on an Android forum, the first reply was to get the battery checked/replaced. 

Which kinda explodes the notion that Android users are dumber. I mean, I bet you won’t find many Android users who will deliberately set an option that will cause their phone to crash. 

Just sayin’

This is an important part of your reply, which is deliberately ignored by people who blindly support Apple in this episode. This clearly shows - People would have replaced their battery if Apple had NOT throttled the phones because people DO understand battery issues. But by slowing down the phones, Apple deliberately mislead them into a different problem (phone is too old to run the latest OS) and possible solution (buy a new phone).

ajl[Deleted User]maltzatomic101aylk
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:

Just sayin’

This is an important part of your reply, which is deliberately ignored by people who blindly support Apple in this episode. This clearly shows - People would have replaced their battery if Apple had NOT throttled the phones because people DO understand battery issues. But by slowing down the phones, Apple deliberately mislead them into a different problem (phone is too old to run the latest OS) and possible solution (buy a new phone).

Unfortunately, the fact that iOS has had a battery health warning built into the settings for quite some time blows that little conspiracy theory right out of the water. 

But by all means keep trying. 🙄

edited March 2018 radarthekattmayStrangeDaysericthehalfbee2old4funnetmagejony0
  • Reply 11 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    I think any phone would do that if the battery were in bad enough condition.

Of course most of those phones would have cost half as much as an iPhone and such a problem could be handled without too much fretting. Perhaps the problem could have been mitigated further if Apple had designed the affected phones with bigger batteries in the first place.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 48
    The other thing to consider is how fast your phone was out of the box on the OS it shipped with vs the current OS. Especially now that it's 64 bit. This to me is another thing some irate people don't think about. 

When was the last time you noticed your 6 was pretty fast?  What OS was it running?
    My mom’s 6 Plus (86%) capacity is still running fast on iOS 11.2.6
  • Reply 13 of 48
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Rayz2016 said:

Just sayin’
    Yes, but I know where I can take my iPhone to get the battery replaced properly. Not sure where I would take my android phone for a battery replacement. I also have an HTC M8S and looked on YouTube to see how to replace the battery and it looked a complete nightmare taking the phone apart to get at the battery.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Just sayin’

Unfortunately, the fact that iOS has had a battery health warning built into the settings for quite some time blows that little conspiracy theory right out of the water. 

But by all means keep trying. ߙ䦬t;br>

Few months back when I posted something similar on this topic, @Strangedays posted something similar to what you have posted now. I asked him few questions back then (needless to say, no response). I am going to ask the same questions to you now.

1. Are those battery health warnings ACTUALLY work reliably enough ALL the time, so that they can be relied upon by all the users?

2. If yes, why is Apple making enhancements NOW as detailed out in their apology after the throttling issue came to light?

3. If answer is NO to my question in point 1, you a making a stance which you cannot rely upon yourselves. Which one is that?

edited March 2018 [Deleted User]
  • Reply 15 of 48
    I would have liked to see the health of the battery before he replaced it to see the severity of the performance hit in relation to the batteries capacity. 
    GeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:

Just sayin’
    Most people with locked batteries , do not think about replacing the battery.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    For years people have been used to batteries deteriorating over time, typically the symptom was just quicker battery drain. What happened with the iPhone 6 onwards was Apple updated the devices to intentionally throttle them performance-wise without telling people they did it. Now typically, if a device starts to become slow and non-responsive, the average person's first impression is not the battery, they think the whole thing is dying and ready for the bin; they will then upgrade to a newer model. I've never thought it was Apple's intention to force upgrades, I believe they just made a massive error of judgement in implementing this power management "feature".
  • Reply 18 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Rayz2016 said:

Just sayin’
    Most people with locked batteries , do not think about replacing the battery.
    Prove it otherwise you just talking for the mega meme whiners that make 90% of internet forums.

The number of shops that advertise battery replacement around here BLOWS THAT all out of the water.
    There are litterally a hundred place around the greater Montreal that sell just that service for Iphones and it's much cheaper than at Apple (before the price drop).

How I know it is mostly Iphones, because by the time the battery needs replacing, most Android phones have a risidual price of less than a 100 and are near death for non battery related reasons (and got no software update). Nobody's getting their battery replaced for $40 bucks on a 3 year old $100 phone. But. a 3 year old Iphone is still worth $300-500 (depending on model).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    adm1 said:
    For years people have been used to batteries deteriorating over time, typically the symptom was just quicker battery drain. What happened with the iPhone 6 onwards was Apple updated the devices to intentionally throttle them performance-wise without telling people they did it. Now typically, if a device starts to become slow and non-responsive, the average person's first impression is not the battery, they think the whole thing is dying and ready for the bin; they will then upgrade to a newer model. I've never thought it was Apple's intention to force upgrades, I believe they just made a massive error of judgement in implementing this power management "feature".
    No they did not, you lie 100%. Inform yourself or stop talking.
    fastasleeplkrupp
  • Reply 20 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Just sayin’

But by all means keep trying. ߙ䦬t;br>

Few months back when I posted something similar on this topic, @Strangedays posted something similar to what you have posted now. I asked him few questions back then (needless to say, no response). I am going to ask the same questions to you now.

1. Are those battery health warnings ACTUALLY work reliably enough ALL the time, so that they can be relied upon by all the users?

2. If yes, why is Apple making enhancements NOW as detailed out in their apology after the throttling issue came to light?

3. If answer is NO to my question in point 1, you a making a stance which you cannot rely upon yourselves. Which one is that?

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I reply to thousands of posts. But there comes a point where a thread is no longer of interest, especially interacting with the usual haters, trolls, and FUD dispensers. If you think I’m going to see every hater post and get back to him, you’re nuts. 
    edited March 2018 tmayericthehalfbee