iPhone owners aren't upgrading to iPhone X due to price, lack of exciting features, survey...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I am an Apple shareholder since
    And that’s where I stopped reading. No one who starts a post with their “Apple creds” goes on to write anything worth spending 30 seconds over. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 42 of 91
    NumNutsNumNuts Posts: 36member
    I'm seeing it show up ALL over the place, even on public transit, where normally all you see is junker Androids...
    Let me guess, you’re from the U.S. 🙄🤣
  • Reply 43 of 91
    snd7snd7 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I think to put this in perspective the first mobile cell phone cost $3995 that was the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X and all it did was make phone calls. We now have a pocket computer that does way beyond what I could do on my Apple ll cx, which cost me $3000 in 1989. I didn’t get the chance to decide between the 8 plus and the X because my 5s got stolen before the X was released so I got the 8 plus. The 8 plus is the best cellphone I’ve ever owned and I look forward to getting an X or the next version of the X in the future. 
    fastasleeprandominternetpersonmavemufcking editor the grate
  • Reply 44 of 91
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    The iPhone X is the second best iPhone I ever owned (the original 2007 model remains my sentimental favorite).
    Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

JFC_PA
  • Reply 45 of 91
    I am an Apple shareholder since about the time of the OS X Public Beta- well before the bandwagon- and would not shell out $1,000 for a cell phone if Steve Jobs arose from the grave and hand delivered it to me.

It is a phone, people. A nice phone, but not worth $1,000. Back when I was buying my first Apple stock that would buy you an iMac.

Not trying to be a troll, but I consider a $1,000 phone to be an IQ test. If you buy it, you lose.

The logic can be applied to your "audiophile" speakers as well dude. I'd say your IQ took a toss if you shelled out $33k on your Focal Scala speakers or whatever.

I'm sure you'd be ready to argue the finer points of those speakers, but I can't seem to understand how someone could talk about buying the best when it comes to one class of products, but totally disregards the high-end stuff on another product class.

mikeybabesfastasleeptmayStrangeDaysrinosaurbaconstang
  • Reply 46 of 91
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 324member
    Jackass analyst ignores that fact that most people didn't upgrade because their older iPhone was working just fine. Any consumer with a half a brain isn't necessarily going to toss away a perfectly good device for something newer if they're already satisfied with what they're using. This analyst is retarded just like most greedy investors who believe consumers should upgrade their iPhones/smartphones every year whether they need to or not. That doesn't make any sense and it sure isn't good for the ecology. What would be the point in a company making quality products that last a long time if consumers were going to dump them long before they stop working? I'm sure any flagship iPhone/smartphone will last a consumer three good years if not abused or dropped. It was already said that Apple product users keep their devices longer than most other product users do. I'd say Apple products are built to last and that's a good thing. Only Wall Street is stupid enough to turn that into a negative thing. Those Wall Street pigs make me sick with their greed-filled thinking.
    And is’t this how it is supposed to work? The first new super phone, hyped to the max, is just for a few who want the newest and don’t care about the costs.
    Then, in due time, all this new stuff will trickle down in less expensive phones. I read every post here as a declaration on what you are: a Panamera person or ‘just’ the Mercedes man...
  • Reply 47 of 91
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Are these the same people who released a survey to see why 20% of people do not eat lunch? After crunching the data the reason was apparently that they weren't hungry.
    randominternetpersonStrangeDaysJFC_PA
  • Reply 48 of 91
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    The price doesn’t bother me, I’ve been using iPhones since 2009 and I can say this is by far the best one, and has many exciting features, total bullshit rumour.
    fastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 49 of 91
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 427member
    DAalseth said:
    For example, 44 percent of respondents said they have yet to upgrade because "my iPhone works fine," a reply that implies iPhone X either lacks "must have" features or asks too much for the functions it does offer. 

That seems to be a logical jump. My Phone Works Fine means they aren't shopping for a phone.  They aren't in the market because they are happy with what they have. I have an iPhoneSE. I didn't upgrade to an X. I also didn't upgrade to an 8 or a 7. Not because they are lackluster or have no impressive features. They do. Not because they were too expensive. If I needed or wanted a $1k phone I could figure out how to make that work. I didn't upgrade because My Phone Works Fine. I don't need a new one. I have a car. I didn't buy a new one of those last year for the same reason. I also didn't buy a new house or replace my cat. The one I have now works fine. When I encounter a problem, such as I can't run the latest iOS, or load the software I need, then I'll look at it. Until then the iPhone XI could have a 10000ppi screen, read my mind and cost $200 and I still would not feel much of an urge to get one. I don't need a new phone. So the assertion that My Phone Works Fine implies anything beyond that they are a happy customer is really stretching.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    I wish these surveys were not done in a trailer park, as results can be somewhat misleading.

I upgrade to new iPhone each year Why you may ask.
    Becuase I can. I
    Comments on IQ level for a $1k phone is pathetic. I have a PhD, but that's enough of watching websites one-handed.

One of those luxuries in life is called Choice.

• Reply 51 of 91
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    MplsP said:
    Perhaps a better survey would have been to ask people who bought an iPhone 6s or 7 or 8 why they chose that phone instead of an iPhone X, since that is what the analysts (and Apple) care about. To a certain extent, the question they did ask is relevant, though, since part of introducing a new phone is enticing users who have a functional phone to upgrade, even though they may not truly need to.

I just replaced my daughter's iPhone 5s and bought an iPhone 8 instead of an iPhone X. I told her that I would pay for a base iPhone 8, and if she wanted extra memory or an iPhone X she could pay the difference. She payed the extra $150 for the 256GB iPhone 8 but didn't even look at an iPhone X. There are precious few differences between the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 that matter for the vast majority of users, and $1000-1150 is pretty hard to swallow when you can pay $300 less for a phone that does everything except give you a laughing piece of poo.
    The better camera, Face ID, and new multitasking UX/etc is all worth that extra $300 spread out over two years of interest free payments to me. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 52 of 91
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    If carriers still subsidized I might upgrade every two years, but now that we're stuck with the full cost of the phone, it's just too difficult to justify the expense. 
    I paid less than half down on my X with T-Mobile and am paying off the rest in interest-free installments over 24 months. That's exactly what the carriers used to do, just less transparently. Don't the others offer financing like that?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 53 of 91
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    My iPhone 6 was getting pretty long in the tooth and I finally got an X last month. By far the best phone I’ve ever owned. Camera upgrade alone made it worth it. I will probably keep it for three years like my last phone so I don’t consider the price to be outrageously high, but it is high particularly after you factor in the cost of AppleCare.
    edited March 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 54 of 91
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Right... "survey"... Actually, this is not a "survey" cause it doesn't pick a random sample of Iphone users AT ALL (so, very bad sampling).

A bad sampling means it is statistically meaningless.

Actually getting a random, non biased sample of Iphone owners (not self-selected by the person who is surveyed or by the accessibility bias of the person running the survey), is nearly impossible.

So, this looks more like getting a good sampling of whiners and malcontents and sampling reflects this.

Next.
    baconstang
  • Reply 55 of 91
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Classical example of a poor survey with those non-exclusive choices. Most people are very well interested in (real) innovation if that is worth the price. Which apparently wasn't, but that opinion wasn't tested. The survey should have offered insight in the main issues of the X: FaceID is great technology waiting for a problem - which was already (disputedly better) solved by TouchID. Leaving animoji as the main trigger... And, as a blind squirrel could have expected, the notch isn't a positive discriminator. And a glass backside, while customers paid zillions to get better materials patented and implemented. So it would be interesting to learn if those were the disappointments that had pulled people off, or others.
    edited March 2018 muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 56 of 91
    snd7 said:
    I think to put this in perspective the first mobile cell phone cost $3995 that was the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X and all it did was make phone calls. We now have a pocket computer that does way beyond what I could do on my Apple ll cx, which cost me $3000 in 1989. I didn’t get the chance to decide between the 8 plus and the X because my 5s got stolen before the X was released so I got the 8 plus. The 8 plus is the best cellphone I’ve ever owned and I look forward to getting an X or the next version of the X in the future. 
    Excellent first post.  Welcome!
    snd7fastasleep
  • Reply 57 of 91
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    Of course this is non-scientific, but lately I've been making it a point to look at the smartphones that people use at work, out in public when I'm out and about.  From my casual observation, iPhones are the dominant brand out there.  So many 7's and 8's (regular and plus size) roaming around.  I would guess 75% of the phones I see are Apple. However, of those, I'm lucky to see 1 iPhone X in 30 iPhones.  They're just not out there.  I work in an office with 40 employees, almost all of which use an iPhone, and I'm the ONLY one with an X.  
    Even though Apple had a huge quarter and sold lots o' phones, the X didn't have the impact of a new phone release this year as phones have done in prior years.  I think perceived bang for the buck is the #1 issue. It's a very expensive phone and even though the upgrade was a relatively easy decision (I debated about giving up the size of my 7 Plus) I'm so happy I did now.  Just love the form factor and screen size.  But most people could care less about OLED and they're perfectly happy with their working phone they have now.  The 7's and 8's are outstanding phones.
    I don't know what else Apple could have done in the X to make it more appealing, but I think phones are just so good now that new ones aren't enough to justify laying down $1100 (including tax) unless you're in the need for a new phone, or just like to have the latest and greatest like I do.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    georgie01 said:
    If carriers still subsidized I might upgrade every two years, but now that we're stuck with the full cost of the phone, it's just too difficult to justify the expense.
    But you still paid for the phone through your monthly overcharged service bill...you just never saw yourself paying for it.

I had to pay $280 upfront for my iPhone X and $30/mo. which is the same monthly fee for my previous iPhone 7 (upfront cost was $100). $50/mo for unlimited LTE service and it’s hard to say the X costs too much money.
    I think the point is: “If I have to pay for the subsitdized phone, I might as well upgrade.”  

On the flip side, I still have my iPhone 7+. Once 24 months gets here, I’ll save the 30$ per month plus the 280$ upfront cost you just paid. So after 2 more years, you paid probably over $1,000 more than I did or the users that hold on to the devices longer. Not saying that’s an issue, it’s your money, but for most of us, it’s wasted money. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 59 of 91
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For me, I liked the idea of the X initially - particularly the idea of a bigger screen in a smaller phone as well as the promise of a much improved (OLED) screen...  But, when I got to see it in person I found that screen was nice but not a huge improvement over the cheaper traditional screens used on the 7 & 8.

And, keeping in mind the high price of the X is mostly due to its OLED screen, with the rumor that Apple may be coming out with a similar design using a traditional screen in the fall, I think that might be worth waiting for -- because, hopefully, it will have the advantages of the X at a more affordable price.

(My personal impressions of the OLED screen was that it made a significant difference while watching video -- but for the rest, there wasn't a huge difference)
    baconstang
  • Reply 60 of 91
    A nice phone, but not worth $1,000. Back when I was buying my first Apple stock that would buy you an iMac.
     Back in my day (December), I somehow decided it was worth $1,000.
    GeorgeBMacJFC_PAfastasleep