Netflix adds per-title PIN locks, visible maturity ratings to improve parental controls

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a bid to make the streaming service more appealing to sensitive parents, Netflix has instituted a pair of new features allowing more restrictions over what their children watch -- the first being a more nuanced PIN-lock system.

Netflix account holders can now assign four-digit PINs to individual movies and TV shows, according to an announcement. Previously people were only able to block material behind a particular "maturity level," such as Teens (PG-13) and Adults (R, NC-17, unrated).

While in most cases the system will be used to further censor what children see, in some cases it could actually open up material to younger audiences, for instance allowing access to all but the most risque Teens content.

Netflix is also highlighting ratings when a video starts. This includes not just its MPAA rating but the (spoiler-free) reason for that designation, so that people who object to sex, nudity, or violence -- or don't want to scare their kids -- can quickly switch to something else.

The easiest way to manage parental controls is on the Web. A dedicated Netflix app is of course available for the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    I want a Youtube app for my mac! And also netflix!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    I wish we could pin-protect profiles so that I wouldn't need to enter my PIN for each movie I watch on my phone, yet require a PIN code to unlock the adult profile on our AppleTVs so the kids won't be able to watch inappropriate content (and to force them to use their own profiles on the AppleTV so my recommendations don't get cluttered with their stuff)
    randominternetpersonlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Craingry Craingry Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Sensitive parents???? All parents should act responsible and be sensitive to what their kids are watching instead of being lazy and turning a blind eye. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I wish we could pin-protect profiles so that I wouldn't need to enter my PIN for each movie I watch on my phone, yet require a PIN code to unlock the adult profile on our AppleTVs so the kids won't be able to watch inappropriate content (and to force them to use their own profiles on the AppleTV so my recommendations don't get cluttered with their stuff)
    Or, u could actually spend time with ur kids and watch appropriate content with them. Isn’t that how they did it in the olden day’s?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mac_dog said:
    Or, u could actually spend time with ur kids and watch appropriate content with them. Isn’t that how they did it in the olden day’s?
    Really?  In the olden days children were never alone with a TV?

This is a good step.  Most "kids" nowadays either have their own devices or ready access to Netflix on shared devices.  Easier, better ways to control access are nice improvements--even if they aren't perfect.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ... being lazy and turning a blind eye. 
    I think parents who take controlling content seriously do the opposite of being lazy and turning a blind eye. They actively choose to censor all content instead of giving up and letting the Devil and the Killer inside their homes. So instead of children getting to see appropriate content, they see nothing.