iPhone owners aren't upgrading to iPhone X due to price, lack of exciting features, survey...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    mavemufc said:
    The price doesn’t bother me, I’ve been using iPhones since 2009 and I can say this is by far the best one, and has many exciting features, total bullshit rumour.
    Nah: reread the details: specifically asked People Who Didn’t Upgrade. So that’s a very select group: seeking negatives were built into the survey design. 

Harmless enough. Like someone posted above: like surveying people who didn’t eat lunch: >>> breaking news! “Not hungry”!!

though no doubt the secondary hater press will go nuts. 
  • Reply 82 of 91
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I thought long and hard before upgrading from the 6S Plus. With all the rumours I was set on the X. But when I realized that it was the same physical size as the 6/7, I backed off. I have had large phones for years and need the size. I got the 8 Plus instead and I’m very happy with it. 
    Better to have compared the screen size not the overall physical size. Though, true, it’s was hard to find. The X screen is larger than the 6/7 screen. Different design specifically to do that. 
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 83 of 91
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    This would be better without all the annoying fanboys in the comment section. I used to get every new iPhone - I stopped with the current upgrade models (iPhone 8 and iPhone X) iPhone X is a User Interface clusterfuck - because the lack of TouchID and reliance on FaceID made them temporarily abandon the Home Button, which was dumb. This resulted in the compromise solutions of bewildering and confusing gestures, and a completely inane Konami code of using the buttons on the side. If they brought back TouchID in addition to FaceID, and reintegrated a virtual HomeButton on the display, I would buy the iPhone X without further consideration. Without, particularly without a Home Button, im not interested.
    Not sure why you think it's temporary. I am 100% sure this is the way forward, and it's not hard after like a couple hours of practice. I went back to my 6 after my first X got stolen, and it felt archaic. So does my iPad Air 2, still, in comparison and I won't consider a new iPad until it reaches parity with the homebuttonless X and the corresponding gestures. 
  • Reply 84 of 91

If carriers still subsidized I might upgrade every two years, but now that we're stuck with the full cost of the phone, it's just too difficult to justify the expense. 
    This makes no sense. Despite the carrier subsidy, you paid the full price for your previous phones -- because they charged you more every month. More since they didn't stop charging you after the phone was paid for. Since the subsidies ended that fee went down (ATT here). Now I just pay a monthly installment, but it ends the moment the phone is paid for. So it's in fact cheaper than the previous pricing model.
    Don't be so critical....
    The carriers went to extensive lengths to hide what they were doing -- and when I told my friends what was going on, not only did they not realize it, but several refused to believe me.

When my 2 year AT&T plan ran out and I was getting a new phone that I was buying outright, I went to AT&T (actually, multiple visits and phone calls) but always got the same answer:  That I had never been charged for the phone, not even a penny.  And, if I bought a new phone, my bill would not go down -- even though I bought the phone outright.

I changed carriers to Consumer Celllular:  Same network but much lower prices.
    That's AT&T marketing for you. They suck, I was in since Cingular and then the iPhone Unlimited plan until I got over to T-Mobile at around 2/3 the price and with actual unlimited data and tethering. My financing for my X is clearly labeled on top of my monthly charges. AT&T is the worst.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 85 of 91

MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    Perhaps a better survey would have been to ask people who bought an iPhone 6s or 7 or 8 why they chose that phone instead of an iPhone X, since that is what the analysts (and Apple) care about. To a certain extent, the question they did ask is relevant, though, since part of introducing a new phone is enticing users who have a functional phone to upgrade, even though they may not truly need to.

I just replaced my daughter's iPhone 5s and bought an iPhone 8 instead of an iPhone X. I told her that I would pay for a base iPhone 8, and if she wanted extra memory or an iPhone X she could pay the difference. She payed the extra $150 for the 256GB iPhone 8 but didn't even look at an iPhone X. There are precious few differences between the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 that matter for the vast majority of users, and $1000-1150 is pretty hard to swallow when you can pay $300 less for a phone that does everything except give you a laughing piece of poo.
    The better camera, Face ID, and new multitasking UX/etc is all worth that extra $300 spread out over two years of interest free payments to me. 
    Face ID - If you were talking about going from a phone without any biometric ID to FaceID, the difference would be much more significant, but Touch ID works well and is plenty secure and convenient for most people. For me FaceID is more of a gimmick. If you give it to me for the same price, fine, but am I going to pay extra for it over TouchID? No.

Camera - Yes it's better, but for most people, the functional difference is minimal to none. The average user (like my daughter) uses the camera mostly to post on snapchat & instagram, and the iPhone 8's camera more than suffices for that. 

New UI - I honestly can't say on this one, but I have no issues with the current UI. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but again it comes down to paying $300 extra for something I don't really need.

I'm not arguing that there are no differences between the phones, just their significance. There are definitely users for whom some of these features are worth the extra money. For some people, it's worth it just to have the newest version, but we're talking the average user here who doesn't have $300 burning a hole in their pocket.
    Face ID - it's not a "gimmick", it's a feature, and one that works well. I would take it over Touch ID any day having used it for months now. Touch ID is frustrating to go back to for me, and I still have to use it on my iPad, which is annoying. I will see the first iPad with Face ID as a significant reason to upgrade barring any other feature. Gimmick implies a trick or a ploy, which Face ID is not — it's a very functional feature that replaces another good, but not as great, feature. I see this all the time with people bitching about the Touch Bar, but from people that don't use it primarily.

Yes, the 8's camera is good, but the camera on the X is better. Your daughter posting to Snapchat is not the target market for the X then. No big deal. But don't discount that some people actually see this as a replacement for a point-and-shoot, mirrorless, or DSLR. On my last international trip, I left my mirrorless APS-C Sony at home and just brought my X, whereas the previous year I brought my 6 and my NEX-7 to carry around. The photos and videos from the X were stunning, and much better than my 6.

New UI/UX — the multitask switching on the X is fucking amazing. Every day I use it and can't imagine going back to the old way. you can swipe left and right at the bottom to go back and forth between apps like you can with four fingers on an iPad. That's the main part of it, but there are a few other misc things. That is something I use every day 50-100x maybe. It matters when you get used to something better, and you haven't yet. That's fine, but again you're using the old thing that will eventually be the new better thing.

People buy expensive phones all the time. Most people pay that difference in price over 24 months or something like that, such as myself. $300 difference would be 40 cents a day. Big deal for something you use every day, all day.

• Reply 86 of 91

dysamoria said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Always bought a new one whenever new model comes, dont care about the price....
    Congratulations on your fortunate financial situation.

Most people can't spend money so casually. I hope you're donating your prematurely abandoned devices to people who can't afford new ones.

Hell, even if I had the money, I still wouldn't buy the X. I find the replacement of the home button with yet more awkward gestures to be a stupid design decision and I would never spend so much money on a pocket computing device. It's entirely unnecessary and wasteful.
    You'll end up buying exactly that in like 1-2 years. The home button isn't coming back, man. And it's awesome once you take a couple hours to get used to it. 

Man people hate change so much. Remember when they reversed the trackpad scrolling? Took me like a day to get used to it and now it seems so natural, yet I still see people go to reset it to how it was originally and "don't understand it" yet use touch devices where it behaves just the way they changed it to on OS X at the time. ¯\(°_o)/¯
    edited March 2018 GeorgeBMacking editor the grate
  • Reply 87 of 91
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    This would be better without all the annoying fanboys in the comment section. I used to get every new iPhone - I stopped with the current upgrade models (iPhone 8 and iPhone X) iPhone X is a User Interface clusterfuck - because the lack of TouchID and reliance on FaceID made them temporarily abandon the Home Button, which was dumb. This resulted in the compromise solutions of bewildering and confusing gestures, and a completely inane Konami code of using the buttons on the side. If they brought back TouchID in addition to FaceID, and reintegrated a virtual HomeButton on the display, I would buy the iPhone X without further consideration. Without, particularly without a Home Button, im not interested.
    Have you used the X for a long enough period of time? Had the phone since release and can honestly say I haven't missed Touch ID once, and Face ID is 100% better than I ever thought it would be, the gestures may seem confusing to someone who doesn't use the phone or to someone who's new to it but you get used to them without the first few hours.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    Old wireless guyOld wireless guy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Being in the cellular business for 30+ years and having used and tested phones from ever manufacturer in or business the iPhone has been the biggest disappointment of any of phone yet. Only new feature that I care for is wireless charging. I am waiting on a model with a bigger screen to make some of out network testing easier to read. 
  • Reply 89 of 91
    I love all my Apple Products and will continue upgrading my Apple phone yearly. As expensive as cell phones are these days your better of leasing them. This enables you to upgrade yearly to a bran new shinny Apple phone every year. The monthly cost always ranges between $30 & 40 per month thru t-Mobile for the phone lease. I’m an Apple guy for life as there so well built and easy to use. I hated my Sumsung Gallezies the two year I used them. 
  • Reply 90 of 91
    I have the SE and hesitate to upgrade.  It’s still fast; the right size for me; and does everything I need a phone to do.  In a way, this little phone shows the superiority of Apple more than any other iPhone.  Other 4-inch phones don’t seem to come close to the SE’s quality or capability.  It seems at times that Apple’s a sales victim of its own quality; the products are so good, and so well supported, that people keep them for an inordinate time.  I myself will probably upgrade if and when the next SE (I suppose regardless of size; the consensus seems to be that the 4-inch size is done) comes out — but I'm hoping it’s not anytime soon, because again, this compact 2-year-old phone still does the trick for me.