Supply chain makes claim that Apple is already planning to ditch the iPhone X notch in fal...

Posted:
in iPhone
A questionable report from South Korean sources suggests that Apple is preparing a new display without a notch -- for phones 18 months down the road.

ETNews declared on Wednesday that "according to industries" Apple is examining new possibilities for OLED technology to deal with the notch. Ideas floated by the publication including drilling holes into OLED panels, or using so-called "Black Matrix" areas within the displays themselves.

Other than the vague "industries," ETNews didn't name sources, or particular manufacturers that were working on the notch-free 2019 iPhone. As such, and given the timetable between now and the fall 2019 releases, it seems probable that the publication, or its sources, are making an educated guess at Apple's future intentions regarding a true all-screen iPhone.

At present, the technology does not seem to exist to eradicate the notch entirely, and have an edge-to-edge screen. Current VCSEL technologies aren't small enough to fit in the very small area between the screen and the bezel, nor are other camera or speaker technologies advanced enough to go in that gap either.

While ETNews does fairly well with general supply chain reports, the publication has a poor track record at predicting Apple's future moves.

The 2018 iPhone lineup is expected to retain the notch. Apple is said to be doling out display orders for its next-generation iPhone lineup, which is rumored to include two OLED versions -- 5.8 and 6.5 inches -- and a 6.1-inch LCD variant.

A wide variety of Android device manufacturers debuted phones with a notch to hold sensors at the 2018 Mobile World Congress.
mnbob1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple should keep two iPhone categories, OLED and LCD. Gives option and price differentiation for every one. This means while 3 new iPhones with FaceID and sizes coming out in September; Not going to happen but hope Apple keeps iPhone 8S and 8S Plus with top/bottom area shrinked(more screen,edge-to-edge) and possibly TouchID on back. To hide camera/sensors; every phone will have either top Notch or Top long bar. If Apple wants to shrink or getting rid of Notch in 2019 than more power to them.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 2 of 30
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    As a new owner of an iPhone X I barely notice the notch. Well-written apps that have been updated for the iPhone X that use the entire display to it's advantage make it even better. Unfortunately there are lots of apps that haven't undated their apps to format for the iPhone X. They're just annoying because they don't take advantage of the entire height of the display. Apple isn't going to do away with the notch until the technology allows them to do it without compromise. If that's possible in 2019 then cool. As the article says, ETNews stretched their imagination out to thinking that the tech will be ready by then. A year and a half is probably pretty safe since Apple is already working on that iPhone right now and they want would probably want to get rid of the notch too. The other players in the market obviously haven't figured out how to do it since the notch is becoming a standard feature.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    mnbob1 said:
    As a new owner of an iPhone X I barely notice the notch. Well-written apps that have been updated for the iPhone X that use the entire display to it's advantage make it even better. Unfortunately there are lots of apps that haven't undated their apps to format for the iPhone X. They're just annoying because they don't take advantage of the entire height of the display. Apple isn't going to do away with the notch until the technology allows them to do it without compromise. If that's possible in 2019 then cool. As the article says, ETNews stretched their imagination out to thinking that the tech will be ready by then. A year and a half is probably pretty safe since Apple is already working on that iPhone right now and they want would probably want to get rid of the notch too. The other players in the market obviously haven't figured out how to do it since the notch is becoming a standard feature.
    How about scratches? I've heard of several owners complaining that the X's OLED screen glass scratches much more easily then the LCD displays on the 7 or 8. 
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mnbob1 said:
    How about scratches? I've heard of several owners complaining that the X's OLED screen glass scratches much more easily then the LCD displays on the 7 or 8. 
    I'm not seeing any higher prevalence. Anecdotal, obviously.
    bb-15jony0doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    mnbob1 said:
    My X is the first phone on which I did not use a screen protector. Not a single scratch on the screen in five months of everyday use. No severe drops yet.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Weren't there supply chain rumours not that long ago that the iPhoneX was going to be discontinued? I mean it's possible that Apple will eliminate the notch, but these types of sources don't have a stellar record. And 18 months out, it's all speculation at this point. I suspect Apple themselves haven't made any firm decisions about this one way or the other just yet. I suspect Apple may very well be experimenting with notch less displays. But experimentation is a long way from saying that Apple has decided.
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple should keep two iPhone categories, OLED and LCD. Gives option and price differentiation for every one. This means while 3 new iPhones with FaceID and sizes coming out in September; Not going to happen but hope Apple keeps iPhone 8S and 8S Plus with top/bottom area shrinked(more screen,edge-to-edge) and possibly TouchID on back. To hide camera/sensors; every phone will have either top Notch or Top long bar. If Apple wants to shrink or getting rid of Notch in 2019 than more power to them.
    Before Apple went OLED with the iPhone X the tech blogs were merciless about Apple being outdated, behind the curve, hopelessly deficient. AI comments were as vicious as it gets. Now that Apple has gone OLED with its flagship suddenly that’s not good enough either. Now there should be an LCD and an OLED line? Really?
    caladanianjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    In Homer Simpson voice: “Stupid supply chain!”
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    mnbob1 said:
    Hasn’t been an issue for me. Had my X since launch. It’s in an Apple silicone case but no screen protector. Regularly hand my phone to my 4 kids (ages 2-7) and haven’t seen a scratch on it. 
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Nothing says design compromise like that ugly "notch" or screen "skin tag" as I refer to it.  An embarrassing love child of necessary technology and aesthetics concepts. 
  • Reply 11 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    lkrupp said:
    wood1208 said:
    Before Apple went OLED with the iPhone X the tech blogs were merciless about Apple being outdated, behind the curve, hopelessly deficient. AI comments were as vicious as it gets. Now that Apple has gone OLED with its flagship suddenly that’s not good enough either. Now there should be an LCD and an OLED line? Really?
    No one argue against Apple's decision of offering OLED iPhone or in future better than OLED. Point was to keep LCD around for better price point to satisfy purchase of spectrum of users with varying money for the iPhone upgrade. You want people to upgrade there iPhone/iPad than hold on lot longer because new version iPhones are out of there price range.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 30
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    The OLED wouldn’t have anything to do with whether the glass scratches more or less easily. It’s reasonable to assume the X and the 8 use the same glass. The reports of the X’s glass scratching more easily are anecdotal and it’s reasonable to assume that like anything iPhone X the media is going to jump on it whether it is a significant problem or not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    No scratches for me. This is first time I've used a case, but it does not have a screen protector.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I would not be at all surprised if the old backlit LCD obscured very light scratches, thusly now visible on the X.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Isn’t the notch supposed to be the new handset paradigm that visually separates IPhone from the rabble? I don’t lend this rumour much credence at all. Sounds like click baiting to me. 
  • Reply 16 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    spice-boy said:
    Nothing says design compromise like that ugly "notch" or screen "skin tag" as I refer to it.  An embarrassing love child of necessary technology and aesthetics concepts. 
    Nah. It only bothers critics who don’t have and had no plans to get it. Absolute non issue here IRL, your continued narrative be darned. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    georgie01 said:
    The OLED wouldn’t have anything to do with whether the glass scratches more or less easily. It’s reasonable to assume the X and the 8 use the same glass. The reports of the X’s glass scratching more easily are anecdotal and it’s reasonable to assume that like anything iPhone X the media is going to jump on it whether it is a significant problem or not.
    It would if Samsung used a different supplier for the glass. 

The reason I asked is I have seen a few personally with friends who have them and the display models have them at my local store. 
    I just wasn't sure if they were being misused or if it was a real problem. 
  • Reply 18 of 30
    lkrupp said:
    wood1208 said:
    IPhone will never be good enough as long as walled gardens and $1500 are you kidding and Apple never truly invented anything they’re just good at marketing yesterday’s specs to grandmas who don’t know how to root an Android phone
  • Reply 19 of 30

spice-boy said:
    So happy to hear this is a design compromise, I was getting worried by all the haters who say Apple is guilty of form over function. Now they’re guilty of function over form let’s celebrate
    tmayStrangeDaysroundaboutnowRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30

DAalseth said:
    Weren't there supply chain rumours not that long ago that the iPhoneX was going to be discontinued? I mean it's possible that Apple will eliminate the notch, but these types of sources don't have a stellar record. And 18 months out, it's all speculation at this point. I suspect Apple themselves haven't made any firm decisions about this one way or the other just yet. I suspect Apple may very well be experimenting with notch less displays. But experimentation is a long way from saying that Apple has decided.
    The supply chain is 100% accurate 18 months in advance because that’s how far ahead they have access to next year’s iPhone hardware design. They get the hardware design and sit on it for 16 months, then begin production 2 months before Sept 2019. Also, Apple shares all its secrets with their manufacturing partners this far in advance. Meanwhile, in the real world.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra