Supply chain makes claim that Apple is already planning to ditch the iPhone X notch in fal...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    spice-boy said:
    Nothing says design compromise like that ugly "notch" or screen "skin tag" as I refer to it.  An embarrassing love child of necessary technology and aesthetics concepts. 
    Nah. It only bothers critics who don’t have and had no plans to get it. Absolute non issue here IRL, your continued narrative be darned. 
    Okay those that don't like the X are just jealous, try another theory. 
  • Reply 22 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Ditch seems like the wrong word.  You ditch features; the notch isn't a feature, it's a compromise.  You don't ditch compromises, you overcome them.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    crowley said:
    Ditch seems like the wrong word.  You ditch features; the notch isn't a feature, it's a compromise.  You don't ditch compromises, you overcome them.
    Merriam-Webster.

Ditch: to stop having or using (something you no longer want or need) : to get rid of (something)
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    lkrupp said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple should keep two iPhone categories, OLED and LCD. Gives option and price differentiation for every one. This means while 3 new iPhones with FaceID and sizes coming out in September; Not going to happen but hope Apple keeps iPhone 8S and 8S Plus with top/bottom area shrinked(more screen,edge-to-edge) and possibly TouchID on back. To hide camera/sensors; every phone will have either top Notch or Top long bar. If Apple wants to shrink or getting rid of Notch in 2019 than more power to them.
    Before Apple went OLED with the iPhone X the tech blogs were merciless about Apple being outdated, behind the curve, hopelessly deficient. AI comments were as vicious as it gets. Now that Apple has gone OLED with its flagship suddenly that’s not good enough either. Now there should be an LCD and an OLED line? Really?
    IPhone will never be good enough as long as walled gardens and $1500 are you kidding and Apple never truly invented anything they’re just good at marketing yesterday’s specs to grandmas who don’t know how to root an Android phone
    A suggestion; a sarcasm tag (/s) would be useful here. Poe's law and all that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    bb-15 said:
    lkrupp said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple should keep two iPhone categories, OLED and LCD. Gives option and price differentiation for every one. This means while 3 new iPhones with FaceID and sizes coming out in September; Not going to happen but hope Apple keeps iPhone 8S and 8S Plus with top/bottom area shrinked(more screen,edge-to-edge) and possibly TouchID on back. To hide camera/sensors; every phone will have either top Notch or Top long bar. If Apple wants to shrink or getting rid of Notch in 2019 than more power to them.
    Before Apple went OLED with the iPhone X the tech blogs were merciless about Apple being outdated, behind the curve, hopelessly deficient. AI comments were as vicious as it gets. Now that Apple has gone OLED with its flagship suddenly that’s not good enough either. Now there should be an LCD and an OLED line? Really?
    IPhone will never be good enough as long as walled gardens and $1500 are you kidding and Apple never truly invented anything they’re just good at marketing yesterday’s specs to grandmas who don’t know how to root an Android phone
    And miss the froth? 
  • Reply 26 of 30
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    supadav03 said:
    mnbob1 said:
    As a new owner of an iPhone X I barely notice the notch. Well-written apps that have been updated for the iPhone X that use the entire display to it's advantage make it even better. Unfortunately there are lots of apps that haven't undated their apps to format for the iPhone X. They're just annoying because they don't take advantage of the entire height of the display. Apple isn't going to do away with the notch until the technology allows them to do it without compromise. If that's possible in 2019 then cool. As the article says, ETNews stretched their imagination out to thinking that the tech will be ready by then. A year and a half is probably pretty safe since Apple is already working on that iPhone right now and they want would probably want to get rid of the notch too. The other players in the market obviously haven't figured out how to do it since the notch is becoming a standard feature.
    How about scratches? I've heard of several owners complaining that the X's OLED screen glass scratches much more easily then the LCD displays on the 7 or 8. 
    Hasn’t been an issue for me. Had my X since launch. It’s in an Apple silicone case but no screen protector. Regularly hand my phone to my 4 kids (ages 2-7) and haven’t seen a scratch on it. 
    A few friends of mine have the X and have no case on them.  No issues on the front glass, but they are seeing small scratches and scuffs on the rear. Like from a rivet on a pocket or taking it in and out of the console or cup holder in the car when driving. 
  • Reply 27 of 30
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Well the first Patent on camera under screen was filled 2007 so really if it doesn't turn up soon in a product they are going to run out of time.

What happens to the earpiece won't it still be a notch of some size?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    bb-15 said:
    lkrupp said:
    wood1208 said:
    Poe’s not the boss of me.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Merriam-Webster.

Ditch: to stop having or using (something you no longer want or need) : to get rid of (something)
    Common use. 

You ditch a boyfriend, you don't ditch a cancerous tumour.

EDIT: Ok, that's a bit extreme, trying (and failing) to think of a comparable compromise.  
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 30 of 30
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Merriam-Webster.

Common use. 

You ditch a boyfriend, you don't ditch a cancerous tumour.

EDIT: Ok, that's a bit extreme, trying (and failing) to think of a comparable compromise.  

But you do ditch a toxic boyfriend.

I will laugh my ample butt off if Apple actually does ditch the notch.  Especially after certain other manufacturers have started copying it.

:)