Google's Android P supports same HEIC format as Apple, has software display notch like iPh...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2018
Google on Wednesday revealed a slew of details about the next version of Android, codenamed Android P, including a pair of features following in Apple's footsteps.

Most significantly, devices running Android P will support the same HEIC version of the High Efficiency Image Format (HEIF). HEIC files are roughly half the size of JPEGs, an important achievement given the growing size of both apps and camera resolutions.

HEIC files can include several photos, or even short videos, though Apple doesn't use the format for iOS's Live Photos.

Android P will also natively support devices with edge-to-edge displays interrupted by an iPhone X-style notch, which Google refers to as a display cutout. A number of Android devices -- such as the Essential Phone -- already make use of notches, but until now vendors have had to customize Android accordingly.

In development, app creators can simulate "narrow," "tall," or "wide" cutouts, letting them know where to avoid displaying content.

Android P is now available in preview form, but the final version won't reach the public for several months and even then, only to a very limited amount of devices. The most recent publicly released version of Android, "Oreo," has approximately 1.2 percent adoption, according to Google itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Before everyone laughs at this artificial notch, it's specifically for developers in creating software. Not for everyday use.   :D
    gatorguyminicoffeeAnilu_777lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 40
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,310member
    Jpeg is dead, Jim.
    cornchipracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Ugh... the notch. Of all the iPhone features that the Android universe could copy, why that one?
    pg4g0001jbdragonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tmay said:
    Jpeg is dead, Jim.
    How before the default Windows browser on the most common version of Windows supports HEIC? At that point we could probably see JPEG fall away, but even now I'm not sure it's an option for screenshots with macOS in High Sierra.

Ugh... the notch. Of all the iPhone features that the Android universe could copy, why that one?
    What's wrong with the notch? It allows for the task bar to be offloads to a part of the front face that would otherwise be called a forehead. It's a benefit for users all around.
    jahbladearthurbageorgie01Rayz2016minicoffeesennenlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 40
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Still slavishly copying, It’s like a remote tribe seeing a car for the first time, making one out of mud and straw, and focusing on adding killer airbags. 

arthurbajbdragonAnilu_777lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Before everyone laughs at this artificial notch, it's specifically for developers in creating software. Not for everyday use.   :D
    Actually, more than a few phones shown in CES this year had some poorly thought out notches. A number of Chinese manufacturers are already making iphoneX look a likes, with a notch, but no actual reason for it, other than to look like the X.

i would be very surprised if several notched phones didn’t show up later this year, or early next year.
    minicoffeeAnilu_777muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 40
    melgross said:
    Actually, more than a few phones shown in CES this year had some poorly thought out notches. A number of Chinese manufacturers are already making iphoneX look a likes, with a notch, but no actual reason for it, other than to look like the X.

i would be very surprised if several notched phones didn’t show up later this year, or early next year.
    I've seen at least 7 devices running Android that have a notch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Is it really true that people don’t understand why Apple came out with the notch? I find that hard to believe at this late date.

first of all, we’ve seen mockups without the notch, but with a Samsung-like top black strip, and without a matching strip on the bottom, the phone looks horrible. Using the notch allowed Apple to make a full frame screen that didn’t look really unbalanced. In addition, I don’t see a problem because the “horns”, as some call them, allow Apple to put the information that normally resided on the top of the screen, on the sides of the notch instead. This means that Apple didn’t have to use screen real estate for that info as usual.

overall, I think the notch is a good thing, and as most people find, they quickly forget it’s there.

in addition, it should be obvious that Apple did that because they needed that space for all of these sensors, and that they are attempting to make the notch narrower, and eliminate it entirely, in the future.
    georgie01minicoffeesennenAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 40
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    melgross said:

Is it really true that people don’t understand why Apple came out with the notch? I find that hard to believe at this late date.

first of all, we’ve seen mockups without the notch, but with a Samsung-like top black strip, and without a matching strip on the bottom, the phone looks horrible. Using the notch allowed Apple to make a full frame screen that didn’t look really unbalanced. In addition, I don’t see a problem because the “horns”, as some call them, allow Apple to put the information that normally resided on the top of the screen, on the sides of the notch instead. This means that Apple didn’t have to use screen real estate for that info as usual.

overall, I think the notch is a good thing, and as most people find, they quickly forget it’s there.

in addition, it should be obvious that Apple did that because they needed that space for all of these sensors, and that they are attempting to make the notch narrower, and eliminate it entirely, in the future.
    For all the people complaining about the notch, what do you suggest as an alternative? You either get a notch or a forehead. Between the two, the notch allows much more efficient/effective use of the space, since the area on either side of the speaker was previously unused. If you really hate the notch that much, take a piece of black tape and run it across the top of your screen - presto! the notch is gone!
    SoliStrangeDaysminicoffeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 40
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:

For all the people complaining about the notch, what do you suggest as an alternative? You either get a notch or a forehead. Between the two, the notch allows much more efficient/effective use of the space, since the area on either side of the speaker was previously unused. If you really hate the notch that much, take a piece of black tape and run it across the top of your screen - presto! the notch is gone!
    The only viable counter argument is that the iPhone X allows for less data to be shown in the task bar compare to all other iPhones, and even when you swipe up in Control Center, where you can see battery percentage, it’s lacking other quick glance icons and data that users may like.

I'd like to see iOS 12 offer some user configuration options or a way to see more data.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 11 of 40
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    I just cant believe Samsung is late on the notch party.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Oh dear, what are the nattering nabobs of negativity going to complain about now, now that Android has copied yet another Apple "feature".  It would seem that the notch was a legitimate and most viable solution to front facing sensor/camera placement.  Can you imagine that.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 40

Soli said:

id like to see iOS 12 offer some user configuration options or a way to see more data.
    No you don't.  You just want to complain.
    EsquireCatsRayz2016evilutionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Soli said:
    id like to see iOS 12 offer some user configuration options or a way to see more data.
    No you don't.  You just want to complain.
    What a reasonable response¡
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 40
    As an alternative view, I understand the intention, but the notch running in landscape - whether full-frame video/games losing content at one side, or the bizarre Safari “side wall” behaviour - was one of the reasons I went with the iPhone 8 and not the X.

Back on topic - all of these Android devices that have hurriedly stuck a notch in as “the latest design thing” without understanding why the X has it, and why it’s shaped the way it is, are just mindless (and ugly) parroting. Especially when you just know Apple will want to remove it, and be truly “edge to edge”, when they are able to in future.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40
    tex210tex210 Posts: 15member
    Two little always on eink screens on both sides of the sensor would be cool.  Then the full screen below, uninterrupted. Cost couldn’t be higher than cutting the notch out of oled could it?
    probably silly, but just a random thought. 
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40
    As an alternative view, I understand the intention, but the notch running in landscape - whether full-frame video/games losing content at one side, or the bizarre Safari “side wall” behaviour - was one of the reasons I went with the iPhone 8 and not the X.

Back on topic - all of these Android devices that have hurriedly stuck a notch in as “the latest design thing” without understanding why the X has it, and why it’s shaped the way it is, are just mindless (and ugly) parroting. Especially when you just know Apple will want to remove it, and be truly “edge to edge”, when they are able to in future.
    Then why go full screen for videos n the iPhone X for those occasions when you're in landscape mode? You'd still end up with the same display area as the 4.7" iPhone but get a major benefit when in landscape mode, which I have to assume is the majority of your usage.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So is this an Adroid P leak?
    studiomusicwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I don't understand these Android phones that copying the notch for the sake of looking like iPhone. iPhone notch is there for a purpose, to house all the FaceID sensors. If Android phones does not have FaceID, what are the notch for?  Just to house the camera and speaker? That can be done like Samsung Note since not many hardware is needed to cram into top bezel, unlike IR sensors, romeo and juliet components for FaceID. To look like Apple? Why?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    You misunderstand - when it comes to video, if you have zoomed in on your video such that the notch cuts into the side, you are not viewing the “full frame” of your video content. You’re also chopping off two sides. Even on the non-notch iphones this is the case. 

There is no bizarre Safari behavior in landscape. You may be referring to one of the betas. 
    sennenwatto_cobra