Apple's Face ID-equipped iPad Pros likely ready for production, shipping late next quarter...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    still on the fence if i should get the 10.5” or 12.9”. i’m using a mini at the moment and i want a bigger real estate and would appreciate the new technology. but oh the dilemma apple gets you into when it comes to choosing!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Now would be a very good time for Apple to make iPad Pros multi-user devices.

Beyond that, the current iPad Pros are so far ahead of everything else in the market that Apple is just piling on with incrementalism if all they do is jack up hardware performance and add slightly new ways to support the same core feature set that's little changed over 3 or 4 previous releases. The current iPad Pros are powerhouse computers that are being held back by the limitations of iOS. I'm not knocking iOS for what it is, a stalwart 10 year old OS built for smartphones and their larger tablet based siblings. I certainly don't mind that running iOS apps on the iPad Pro provides amazing performance. But I still feel like I'm using a bazooka for plinking pop cans when using the current iPad Pro, much less what's probably in the next round of iPad Pro releases. Heck, it's easily more powerful than my MacBook Air. However, I'm not advocating for macOS on iPad Pro. I am looking for something new, touch centric, and purpose built for the immense power that the iPad Pro has available to exploit. Something way beyond iOS, but not something tied to the creaky old bones of macOS.

To the 10.5" versus 12.9" question. I have both and find that when I want to use an iPad in my hands, on the couch, when riding as a passenger in a car/plane/train, etc., the 10.5" inch iPad Pro is always my first choice. It is little larger than the 9.7" but the 10.5" screen is much more usable in portrait orientation. The 12.9" is great on the desk with the smart keyboard. The 12.9" is very good for sit down side-by-side demonstrations and screen sharing. The 12.9" is truly a beast size wise but I suspect the next generation will have a reduced bezel to make it a little less beastly. When I use the 12.9" sans keyboard on the couch it feels even bigger, especially in portrait orientation. The screen rendering in portrait orientation is wonderful, but its sheer height and to a lesser extent its weight feels a bit awkward and is something that takes some getting used to. 

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I'm very happy  with my 10.5" iPad Pro from last year, so for me, the new model isn't worth the upgrade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    wizard69 said:
    After the destruction of my last iPad i must say im looking forward to these new IPads, i just hope they dont go iPhone X crazy with pricing.  

more RAM and secondary storage.  It would be nice to see 4GB or more RAM.   The surprise here is that im not worried about most Apps!   What im hoping for is explotation by the system including more of Siri running locally.  As for secondary storage whom out there can claim having enough SSD.  

Ok almost ten wishes, what do people think?  
    Is Intel at the scale yet we could see say 8GB of xPoint as non-volatile RAM in every iOS device instead of current?
    Now that would be a massive game changer. Sleep with zero battery. Keep app live for screen locked mode. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    wizard69 said:
    more RAM and secondary storage.  It would be nice to see 4GB or more RAM.
    The 12.9" and 10.5" iPad Pro models have always had 4GB of RAM. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dew me said:
    Now would be a very good time for Apple to make iPad Pros multi-user devices.

Beyond that, the current iPad Pros are so far ahead of everything else in the market that Apple is just piling on with incrementalism if all they do is jack up hardware performance and add slightly new ways to support the same core feature set that's little changed over 3 or 4 previous releases. The current iPad Pros are powerhouse computers that are being held back by the limitations of iOS. I'm not knocking iOS for what it is, a stalwart 10 year old OS built for smartphones and their larger tablet based siblings. I certainly don't mind that running iOS apps on the iPad Pro provides amazing performance. But I still feel like I'm using a bazooka for plinking pop cans when using the current iPad Pro, much less what's probably in the next round of iPad Pro releases. Heck, it's easily more powerful than my MacBook Air. However, I'm not advocating for macOS on iPad Pro. I am looking for something new, touch centric, and purpose built for the immense power that the iPad Pro has available to exploit. Something way beyond iOS, but not something tied to the creaky old bones of macOS.

To the 10.5" versus 12.9" question. I have both and find that when I want to use an iPad in my hands, on the couch, when riding as a passenger in a car/plane/train, etc., the 10.5" inch iPad Pro is always my first choice. It is little larger than the 9.7" but the 10.5" screen is much more usable in portrait orientation. The 12.9" is great on the desk with the smart keyboard. The 12.9" is very good for sit down side-by-side demonstrations and screen sharing. The 12.9" is truly a beast size wise but I suspect the next generation will have a reduced bezel to make it a little less beastly. When I use the 12.9" sans keyboard on the couch it feels even bigger, especially in portrait orientation. The screen rendering in portrait orientation is wonderful, but its sheer height and to a lesser extent its weight feels a bit awkward and is something that takes some getting used to. 

Hey, thanks for the details on usability vs. size. I’m thinking the 10.5 will be the more couch-friendly choice, which is the essence of iPad in my opinion. 

My ancient mini Retina is getting too small for my eyes, and the battery life is down to a couple of hours, after what must be nearly a thousand multi-hour days.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I'd like to see:
    1. KB case with trackpad
    2. Display cursor
    3. Rear-facing TrueDepth cameras -- capable of creating a 3D point cloud of a large area
    The first two would be great in my book.   But right now I think that Apple should add Multi-user support (family) for the iPad, apple TV, and the HomePod if they do indeed add faceId to the iPadPro. (macOS and iCloud too).  This of course should mean that the HomePod/Siri would support multiple voices/users like Alexa and Google Assistant.

But hopefully Apple will keep making steps to implement cursor support in iOS so that an A12/iOS based laptop could produced-call it the new iOSBook and drop the CoreM based macBook.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    XavalonXavalon Posts: 14member

I own the latest ipad pro 10.5 and love it. But it is still a tablet and nowhere a replacement for my laptop (better MacBook pro). IOS is too limited to compete with Windows 10 or MacOS. Companies like Microsoft and even Apple didn't delivery a full-fledged version of their production suites - i.e. office apps - to iOS. Screensize, in the end, is too limited. You can't attach a second screen - i.e. a 4K - to the iPad. And even when you could, you would need a mouse because external screens with touch support aren't commonly available, and even when they would support, iOS would need to support 'standard' touch protocols. No don't believe that they would add such support soon. 

iOS apps will run on MacOS in the near future (google Appel' project Marzipan). The other way I don't think we will see soon. ARM vs Intel is apples vs pears. 

And with that respect, increasing the power of the iPad is not necessary. For Virtual Reality or Augmented Reality you might need more power then the current Ipad & Ipad Pro provides. And yes they will need to add depth camera's / infrared to support AR well. 

Your iPhone X is all about VR and AR too, but are you really using that on a daily basis. 

But to be honest, if you are not into VR/AR, or think like me that the real use cases for VR/AR are some years ahead, then there is not a real reason to upgrade from your current iPad pro.