Google's Android P supports same HEIC format as Apple, has software display notch like iPh...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    kevin kee said:
    I don't understand these Android phones that copying the notch for the sake of looking like iPhone. iPhone notch is there for a purpose, to house all the FaceID sensors. If Android phones does not have FaceID, what are the notch for?  Just to house the camera and speaker? That can be done like Samsung Note since not many hardware is needed to cram into top bezel, unlike IR sensors, romeo and juliet components for FaceID. To look like Apple? Why?
    There are other sensors besides those used for Face ID. Before the iPhone X there were components for a front facing camera, a speaker, a proximity sensor, and a light sensor. Other devices have more, like a front facing flash. The reason that the iPhone X can have the notch isn't because of Face ID, but because the display technology allowed it. It's why the Essential Phone, which was introduced before the iPhone X, has a notch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    As an alternative view, I understand the intention, but the notch running in landscape - whether full-frame video/games losing content at one side, or the bizarre Safari “side wall” behaviour - was one of the reasons I went with the iPhone 8 and not the X.

What a clueless comment! full frame CinemaScope is 23.5:10 aspect ratio while iPhone X is 21.7:10 and iPhone 8 is 16:9. You go full frame on video, you'll get both side cut out even more on iPhone 8.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 40
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Before everyone laughs at this artificial notch, it's specifically for developers in creating software. Not for everyday use.   :D
    Actually, more than a few phones shown in CES this year had some poorly thought out notches. A number of Chinese manufacturers are already making iphoneX look a likes, with a notch, but no actual reason for it, other than to look like the X.

i would be very surprised if several notched phones didn’t show up later this year, or early next year.
    I've seen at least 7 devices running Android that have a notch.
    There's actually like 20 Androids phones now with the Notch. Many of them, look just like Apple's even though it could me much less as there's just nothing there like Apple's other than a Camera, maybe a speaker. It's laughable at this point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 40
    fallenjt said:
    As an alternative view, I understand the intention, but the notch running in landscape - whether full-frame video/games losing content at one side, or the bizarre Safari “side wall” behaviour - was one of the reasons I went with the iPhone 8 and not the X.

What a clueless comment! full frame CinemaScope is 23.5:10 aspect ratio while iPhone X is 21.7:10 and iPhone 8 is 16:9. You go full frame on video, you'll get both side cut out even more on iPhone 8.
    All I know is, I spent some time with both, went with the iPhone 8, and am really happy. If you went with the X, and are happy, then that’s awesome! ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Contrary to popular belief, Apple didn't invent the notch. The iPhone X wasn't the first with a notch. Andy Rubin's Essential phone was revealed in May 30, 2017 with a notch for the front camera a couple of months before Apple's notch. It's a smaller notch, more akin to the one shown here in Android P, and not like the Apple knockoffs we've seen recently. Just pondering...
    singularity
  • Reply 26 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    kevin kee said:
    I don't understand these Android phones that copying the notch for the sake of looking like iPhone. iPhone notch is there for a purpose, to house all the FaceID sensors. If Android phones does not have FaceID, what are the notch for?  Just to house the camera and speaker? That can be done like Samsung Note since not many hardware is needed to cram into top bezel, unlike IR sensors, romeo and juliet components for FaceID. To look like Apple? Why?
    The Essential Phone had a notch before the iPhone.  It seems safe to say that with the Essential and the iPhone, the notch is now the accepted way of having a front facing camera, speaker and additional sensors as well as an edge to edge screen.  No phone with any high-end aspirations is going to be made with a bezel now.
    edited March 2018 singularitywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Contrary to popular belief, Apple didn't invent the notch. The iPhone X wasn't the first with a notch. Andy Rubin's Essential phone was revealed in May 30, 2017 with a notch for the front camera a couple of months before Apple's notch. It's a smaller notch, more akin to the one shown here in Android P, and not like the Apple knockoffs we've seen recently. Just pondering...
    That's a hoot.
    The notch had ALREADY been rumored coming from Apple BEFORE the essential phone reveal (you know, there are leaks every single year) and the essential phone was released just 3 week before the X. So, what "invention" did he do exactly.

For 99.99% of people who certainly never heard of the "essential phone" and certainly didn't buy it... the notch is an Apple thing.

That's like saying touchphone are not an Apple thing because a low volume producer had one out a few month before (and they did); nobody remembers and nobody cares,.

edited March 2018 StrangeDaysXanderPlooywatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 40
    crowley said:
    kevin kee said:
    The Essential Phone had a notch before the iPhone.  It seems safe to say that with the Essential and the iPhone, the notch is now the accepted way of having a front facing camera, speaker and additional sensors as well as an edge to edge screen.  No phone with any high-end aspirations is going to be made with a bezel now.
    Only 3 weeks before at a very very low volume and the "essential phone" announce came after rumors of Apple's notch were already out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 40
    foggyhill said:
    crowley said:
    kevin kee said:
    Only 3 weeks before at a very very low volume and the "essential phone" announce came after rumors of Apple's notch were already out.
    So what?  Don't affect my point at all.
    singularity
  • Reply 30 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    foggyhill said:
    crowley said:
    kevin kee said:
    Three weeks? There was an article right here at AI showing the Essential phone notch back in May last year. 
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/200318/andy-rubins-essential-announces-first-devices-including-apple-homekit-ready-assistant/p1
    singularitymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 40
    foggyhill said:
    crowley said:
    kevin kee said:
    I also don't think the "announce came after rumors" part is true, or not in any meaningful sense.

Speculation that the 2017 iPhone will have under screen sensors, no mention of "notch" - 11 May 2017

Pictures of Essential Phone, with notch clearly visible - 30 May 2017
  • Reply 32 of 40
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    Too bad everyone (including AI) is talking about the notch in Android P and not about the interesting features. 

Increasing the security of phone by disabling the camera and the microphone access to the running background processes is a very neat one that's left unmentioned.
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy
  • Reply 33 of 40
    pascal007pascal007 Posts: 118member
    I chuckle remembering all those people who said the notch was Apple demise, as Android Phone Makers (APMs) would never do something so horrendous. And now, they're all copying the thing!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:

Ugh... the notch. Of all the iPhone features that the Android universe could copy, why that one?
    Is it really true that people don’t understand why Apple came out with the notch? I find that hard to believe at this late date.

first of all, we’ve seen mockups without the notch, but with a Samsung-like top black strip, and without a matching strip on the bottom, the phone looks horrible. Using the notch allowed Apple to make a full frame screen that didn’t look really unbalanced. In addition, I don’t see a problem because the “horns”, as some call them, allow Apple to put the information that normally resided on the top of the screen, on the sides of the notch instead. This means that Apple didn’t have to use screen real estate for that info as usual.

overall, I think the notch is a good thing, and as most people find, they quickly forget it’s there.

in addition, it should be obvious that Apple did that because they needed that space for all of these sensors, and that they are attempting to make the notch narrower, and eliminate it entirely, in the future.
    For all the people complaining about the notch, what do you suggest as an alternative? You either get a notch or a forehead. Between the two, the notch allows much more efficient/effective use of the space, since the area on either side of the speaker was previously unused. If you really hate the notch that much, take a piece of black tape and run it across the top of your screen - presto! the notch is gone!
    I just explain to them what I said here. What else? I think it was clever of Apple to do this. For those who really hate it, I think there are several apps that put a black band across the top. It looks stupid though.

this is another one of those things that people will forget about. If what I read about Apple attempting to make it smaller is true, it won’t look as prominent in a year. If they use the method that allows shooting through the screen that I’ve seen, then in a couple years, or so, there wonge any notch, and this will all be like a dream.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 40
    crowley said:
    foggyhill said:
    crowley said:
    kevin kee said:
    I also don't think the "announce came after rumors" part is true, or not in any meaningful sense.

Speculation that the 2017 iPhone will have under screen sensors, no mention of "notch" - 11 May 2017

Pictures of Essential Phone, with notch clearly visible - 30 May 2017
    I'm going to dig for it and you can hope I don't find it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 40
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    crowley said:
    kevin kee said:
    Hard to imagine that the Essential Phone had anything at all to do with acceptance or not of the notch since it has only sold something on the order of 100,000 units to date, ie, the Essential Phone isn't demonstrably successful, but yeah, fucking first to market with the notch!

It is a certainty that all of these faux notch machines are copying Apple's iPhone X, not the Essential Phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 40
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
     1.12 percent adoption. LOL.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    foggyhill said:
    That's a hoot.
    The notch had ALREADY been rumored coming from Apple BEFORE the essential phone reveal (you know, there are leaks every single year) and the essential phone was released just 3 week before the X. So, what "invention" did he do exactly.

For 99.99% of people who certainly never heard of the "essential phone" and certainly didn't buy it... the notch is an Apple thing.

That's like saying touchphone are not an Apple thing because a low volume producer had one out a few month before (and they did); nobody remembers and nobody cares,.

1. Apple didn't announce the iPhone X in June, so no, it wasn't 3 weeks, but nearly 4 months.
    2. There was a lot of hype surrounding the Essential phone, because it was created by Andy Rubin, former Apple employee and creator of Android, and since smartphones take years to develop, no, it wasn't designed based on rumors of anything, and it was an innovation, if you can call any notch that cuts the screen an "innovation". Other manufacturers were already doing full screen cover phones, but none had done it to the top until Essential (with a small notch for the single camera dot cutting into it), and quickly after, Apple (with the large notch everyone is now imitating).
    3. Whether no one bought the Essential phone is irrelevant. If you READ the article here, it's about Android integrating a SMALL notch into its system, very much like the Essential notch and NOT like the Apple notch. Considering Android was created by Andy Rubin, it makes even more sense, whether everyone is now copying Apple's notch or not (which is why the headline is wrong on the article).
    4. Whether or not anyone cares is irrelevant, though you obviously do, a lot, considering your answer (and others do as well).

What I find interesting about your response is that you took it as an attack on Apple, when I'm just pointing out a fact relevant to THIS article and its headline. I even specified that the notch in the article, like the Essential notch, has nothing to do with the Android knockoffs that were announced and so obviously copy Apple's. Now, THAT's a hoot.

Just pondering...
    edited March 2018 singularitygatorguy
  • Reply 39 of 40
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    kevin kee said:
    Hard to imagine that the Essential Phone had anything at all to do with acceptance or not of the notch since it has only sold something on the order of 100,000 units to date, ie, the Essential Phone isn't demonstrably successful, but yeah, fucking first to market with the notch!

It is a certainty that all of these faux notch machines are copying Apple's iPhone X, not the Essential Phone.
    You say copy, I say that the iPhone has simply made a notch acceptable as a solution for a problem.

Apple didn’t come up with it the idea of the notch, it’s not even a grand invention for who ever  [i]did[/i] come up with it, and I wouldn’t say they made it fashionable either, as it’s a compromise that is undesirable (albeit less undesirable than bezels). 

They simply, through the power of volum,  made it acceptable.  You’re right that Essential don’t have the volume, but that was never my point.
    avon b7singularity
  • Reply 40 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    kevin kee said:

You say copy, I say that the iPhone has simply made a notch acceptable as a solution for a problem.

Apple didn’t come up with it the idea of the notch, it’s not even a grand invention for who ever  [i]did[/i] come up with it, and I wouldn’t say they made it fashionable either, as it’s a compromise that is undesirable (albeit less undesirable than bezels). 

They simply, through the power of volum,  made it acceptable.  You’re right that Essential don’t have the volume, but that was never my point.
    That's pretty much how it is IMO.

I see it going away relatively soon. Especially when the sensors themselves get smaller. Huawei is already touting ten times the resolution of FaceID (possibly for release in two weeks?) In far less physical space.

My guess is that we may see the return of a notchless screen with the top sensor housing moved to an elegant bump in the top (thin) bezel, to ultimately go under the screen itself.