Guns N' Roses' singer Axl Rose compares Apple CEO Tim Cook to Donald Trump

Posted:
in General Discussion
Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose has attacked Apple CEO Tim Cook on Twitter, calling him the "Donald Trump of the music industry," but while the cryptic tweet is believed to be an insult, it is unknown exactly what Rose is trying to say in the unexpected message.

Photo by Andres Fernando Allain
Photo by Andres Fernando Allain

Posted at 11:25pm Eastern time on March 8, Axl Rose's entire statement reads "Tim Cook is the Donald Trump of the music industry." Based on other tweets from the occasional Twitter user's timeline, specifically commentary on the current administration, the comparison to the U.S. President is most likely intended to be negative.

Hours after the tweet was posted, it has received hundreds of replies and retweets, with social media users pushing the Like counter into the thousands.

Despite being an angry tweet about Tim Cook, it is not entirely clear what Rose is referring to, aside from it being something to do with the music industry. There are no follow-up tweets expanding the complaint, nor replies to comments from other Twitter users, and Rose hasn't provided any further context to media outlets either.

Tim Cook is the Donald Trump of the music industry.

-- Axl Rose (@axlrose)

Business Insider notes that the tweet is unusual for Rose, as it is the first time he has ever posted anything related to Apple. Guns N' Roses hasn't pulled its music or boycotted Apple Music in the past, and there is also a distinct lack of earlier negative comments by the frontman about the streaming industry as a whole.

It is probable that Rose is referring to the ongoing fight between artists, record labels, and streaming services over royalty payments. Artists frequently complain about streaming services paying low royalty rates to record companies, while some services work to keep the rates low to turn a profit.

It was recently revealed Spotify had posted a net loss of 1,235 million euro (about $1.5 billion) in 2017 on revenue of 4,090 million euro (about $5 billion).

One of the biggest complaints Apple received from an artist was an open letter from Taylor Swift in 2015, criticizing a decision to not pay rights holders royalties for tracks played during a customer's three-month Apple Music trial. Apple changed its policy shortly after the letter's publication, and has since worked with Swift in promotions for the service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    At this point, you know the rules. Don't stray too far afield of the point of the post.

If you have any doubts about what the rules are, review the Commenting Guidelines conveniently located at the bottom of the post.
    DAalsethholmstockdleighc-sfobluefire1jony0lolliverwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Wasn't there a fairly recent ruling regarding royalty payments that was more favorable to artists?
  • Reply 3 of 66
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    At this point, you know the rules. Don't stray too far afield of the point of the post.

If you have any doubts about what the rules are, review the Commenting Guidelines conveniently located at the bottom of the post.
    I've wanted to mention how much I appreciate you keeping a tight reign on the comments here. Keep it up.
    radarthekat1983melodyof1974holmstockdlostkiwiroundaboutnowspice-boyleighc-sfoviclauyycchasm
  • Reply 4 of 66
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    As long as Apple pays royalties as agreed upon by the various parties I don't see what the issue is. It isn't Apple's place to go out and argue for higher royalties; in fact it is in their best interest to keep royalties as low as possible. The only other thing I can think of is Apple's dropping support for the LP digital download format. Did GnR have a number of LP albums that people will no longer be able to purchase and subsequently turn to individual song purchases or streaming?
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 66
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This strikes me as more of a "Hey look at me I'm still here" comment than anything else. EDIT: This strikes me as analogous to Godwin's Law. He may not like streaming services. He may not like AppleMusic. He may just not like Tim Cook. But to make a comparison that is so weird, so bizarre, indicates he's lost the plot. Either that or he was just wanting to get his name in the headlines, and get a lot of comments. Like we are doing here.
    edited March 2018 baconstangSpamSandwichracerhomie3lostkiwiStrangeDaysjony0lolliverwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 6 of 66
    Obscure impulsive insulting tweets?  Yeah, someone is trying to be the Trump of the music industry.
    Folio1983jeffharrismwhitebaconstangracerhomie3retrogustolostkiwiphone-ui-guyRayz2016
  • Reply 7 of 66
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Face it the music industry is a mess of its own making. I think everyone agrees artist have been and still get the short end on how much they make off their music. On the flip side, the Artist make the lion's hare of the money on personal appearance. There are very few artist who, write their own songs, compose their own music, product all the music. Artist forget everyone in the process gets a cut, which they always think they should get the largest cut on a song. If they want all the money then they has to do all the work as well. 
    edited March 2018 randominternetperson1983sandorcornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 66
    Obscure impulsive insulting tweets?  Yeah, someone is trying to be the Trump of the music industry.
    That was my first thought too, Randominternetperson.....

:)
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Hey Axl, you're alive (and still on drugs by the look of it)! I liked your screamed songs way back, before I matured my taste (or some would say, developed a taste).

No person, company or service is perfect, but going after the best paying service for music streaming and downloading makes you appear even more out of touch with reality (one of the side effects of drug abuse). Besides, I'd wager that Tim Cook isn't the hands on executive on the deals Apple have with music labels, that would be Eddy Cue.

So keep to your strongs man! Soon there'll be another Rock'n Rio for you to cackle to a big audience again. Some of them will even like it!
    baconstanglolliver
  • Reply 10 of 66
    That was my first thought too, Randominternetperson.....

:)
    Hey us random anonymous voices on the Internet are right sometimes :smile: 
    lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 66
    MADrulesMADrules Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Axl Rose, wow what a joke you are. I have gone to over 200 concerts in my time and I would never see you in concert again. You made us wait 2 hours to see you come on stage and when you did you sat on the stage. You don't deserve Slash and I would never pay for your music ever again. You are NO Van Halen! As for Apple not treating you fairly.... you have done more than your share of drugs, I thought Rolling Stones did it all but you found the reserves. Leave the music industry, you are truly washed up and you were 20 years ago. Apple may start caring about you if you start caring about your fans.
    randominternetpersonbaconstangmacxpressshark5150lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 66
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Hey Axl, you're alive (and still on drugs by the look of it)! I liked your screamed songs way back, before I matured my taste (or some would say, developed a taste).

No person, company or service is perfect, but going after the best paying service for music streaming and downloading makes you appear even more out of touch with reality (one of the side effects of drug abuse). Besides, I'd wager that Tim Cook isn't the hands on executive on the deals Apple have with music labels, that would be Eddy Cue.

So keep to your strongs man! Soon there'll be another Rock'n Rio for you to cackle to a big audience again. Some of them will even like it!
    You need to tweet this. I am sure he is never going to see this post.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 13 of 66
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    HasBeenSezWha?
    phone-ui-guyRayz2016cornchiprandominternetpersonjony0lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 66
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    As a huge fan of Axl & Guns N’ Roses, I do find this rather strange, he clearly doesn’t like Trump but no idea why he has a problem with Cook.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    So I guess its better for Apple to just leave the music industry and let anyone who wishes to listen to their music to just steal it and they get nothing in the end. If he doesn't like it, then why not just take his bands music off Apple Music? Does he not have the balls to do it because he knows he'll lose out in the end? I understand he wants to keep making money off his music and he's entitled to do that. Its his band's work. Blaming a single streaming service isn't his answer. I don't this he even knows what the hell he's talking about. Why is he the only artist complaining about this directly to Tim Cook? 
    lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 66
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    I guess Axel is broke...... again. 
    Mad at daddy Cook because he won't give him more money. 
    Poor Axel... >:)
    SpamSandwichphone-ui-guyStrangeDayscornchipviclauyycjony0lolliverlondon11
  • Reply 17 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    George Lucas is the Bart Simpson of retired directors.

Abe Vigoda was the Nikolai Tesla of actors who portrayed a policeman.

See? It’s easy writing out impenetrably obscure statements.
    edited March 2018 cornchipanomerandominternetpersonjony0lolliverflashfan207
  • Reply 18 of 66
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    So I assume he's saying that both are good people?
    SpamSandwichcornchipflashfan207
  • Reply 19 of 66
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Drugs are bad for your brain...
    cornchip
  • Reply 20 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jbdragon said:
    So I assume he's saying that both are good people?
    Both successful and influential in their own way.