Snap executing another round of layoffs, 120 engineers losing their jobs [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2018
Snapchat developer Snap is preparing to lay off 120 engineers, or almost 10 percent of its engineering team.

The company has instituted similar layoffs in recent months, but in smaller numbers and from its marketing, recruiting, and content teams, CNBC said. It's not yet clear why the engineering team was hit.

In fact the company only recently said it was predicting "headcount growth to continue for the foreseeable future," following a disclosure that it had about 3,000 workers as of the December quarter.

Last month Snapchat received a major redesign which has proven extremely controversial, even spawning a petition with over 1.2 million signatures calling on Snap to revert back. It could be that the negative reaction -- combined with pressure from Facebook, which has explicitly copied Snapchat features -- is making the company feel less secure about its future, or at least more concerned about staying lean.

Snap has had to maintain a delicate balance between attracting sources of income -- namely advertisers and content producers -- while holding on to its mostly young userbase. That userbase is generally tech-savvy however, and can be willing to jump ship for new apps.

Update: In an email to Snap employees obtained by Recode, Vice President of Engineering Jerry Hunter said that 120 engineering employees will be laid off over the next few days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    How does it take 1000 "engineers" to run a service like Snapchat?  Perhaps that 10% of their IT operation (which includes lots of non-engineers).  
    anton zuykovStrangeDaysarlomediaGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    croffordcrofford Posts: 96member
    Won't exist at this time next year...amazing how gullible investors can be.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    I’m in my 30’s. I don’t use it. I don’t know anyone that does.

I know lots of people on Instagram.

I hear kids like snap tho?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    How does it take 1000 "engineers" to run a service like Snapchat?  Perhaps that 10% of their IT operation (which includes lots of non-engineers).  
    Design by committee. How else do you think their controversial redesign came to be?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Someone has to design creepy, stupid glasses? 
    seanismorriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Here's the trouble I see. Snapchat made its mark being the service for teens and those in their twenties to share temporary private stuff (and parts). Its popularity depended in large part on being opaque and confusing to their parents.

Snapchat now wants to grow into something like Facebook, but there's already a facebook. Right now, they are trying to make it more user-friendly so everyone can use it. Snapchat will either eventually destroy the service or they will become huge like Facebook. My money's on the former.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    Speaking of Snap, Vanity Fair ran an article on the possibilities of Snap being acquired by Apple

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/03/will-apple-buy-snap
  • Reply 8 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The company is a mirror of the service: Appeared as suddenly as it will disappear.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    Worthless waste of time... all these companies will be going downhill once millennials enter real life. When ever that happens people will have better things to do. I predict a major shift in social media as people tire and real personal interactions become the new thing. Imagine that!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Real successful software companies don't run like this. They start with a few smart architects creating designs then let software engineers implement them. 
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Speaking of Snap, Vanity Fair ran an article on the possibilities of Snap being acquired by Apple

Ugh...why would Apple buy Snap? What benefit would it be to either company? I don't see Snap as having a future and I don't see Apple changing that with any kind of take over. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    zone said:
    Worthless waste of time... all these companies will be going downhill once millennials enter real life. When ever that happens people will have better things to do. I predict a major shift in social media as people tire and real personal interactions become the new thing. Imagine that!
    I’d like to know when Millennials join real life. Should be a sight to see.
    zoneGG1atomic101watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    zone said:
    I’d like to know when Millennials join real life. Should be a sight to see.
    You think posting your opinion 5 or more times per day qualities you to take about "joining real life"?
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 14 of 21
    macxpress said:

Ugh...why would Apple buy Snap? What benefit would it be to either company? I don't see Snap as having a future and I don't see Apple changing that with any kind of take over. 
    The only time I see Apple forking out for Snap is when Snap has gone into Chapter 11. Then it will be pennies on the dollar.
    Aside from that, I would not touch them even with a 40ft barge pole.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    Yeah this can’t be accurate. 
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Yeah this can’t be accurate. 

Maybe they’re train engineers.
    edited March 2018 randominternetperson
  • Reply 17 of 21
    macxpress said:

The only time I see Apple forking out for Snap is when Snap has gone into Chapter 11. Then it will be pennies on the dollar.
    Aside from that, I would not touch them even with a 40ft barge pole.
    But why? What would Apple gain from purchasing Snap, even at pennies on the dollar?
    lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 21
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    zone said:
    I'd like to see that day. Unfortunately I know plenty of people of older generations who seem addicted to social media. Not Snapchat, though ... mostly Facebook.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    RoyfbRoyfb Posts: 17member
    Kylie Jenner ?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Royfb said:
    Kylie Jenner ?
    Needs to fuck off.

Of course kids like it and i use it with my youngest daughter. Lots of fun.