Hulu Live TV gains more 60fps channels, push notifications for sports

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
People subscribed to Hulu's Live TV package can now watch another 33 channels at 60 frames per second, and receive push notifications on their iPhone or iPad when a tracked sports event is about to start.

Some of the new 60fps channels include ones from Cinemax, HBO, SyFy, National Geographic, and the Food Network, Hulu said. In cases of weak bandwidth or high traffic, channels may temporarily revert to 30fps.

60fps video appears smoother, more akin to real life than the 30fps typical of TV, or the 24fps used in movies. Some people may actually prefer the look of 24 or 30fps.

Meanwhile, people following sports teams on Live TV will now get iOS or Android push notifications whenever a relevant game is beginning, according to TechCrunch. This coincides with the imminent start of NCAA basketball's March Madness, which has been given a special hub for finding live and on-demand videos.

Hulu apps are available for the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and other devices. The Live TV plan is $39.99 per month, but also includes Hulu's on-demand library.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Pesonally, I find the higher frame rates distracting. Twenty-four or 29.97 fps are fine (everyone has a perfectly valid personal opinion on this).
    mike1
  • Reply 2 of 7
    KyneKyne Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I don't get it... are any of these show even shot at 60fps? I don't think so. GoT is shot in 2K at 24; so what's the point unless there is source material available? 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Kyne said:
    I don't get it... are any of these show even shot at 60fps? I don't think so. GoT is shot in 2K at 24; so what's the point unless there is source material available? 
    Marketing is all I can think of.  They must be using frame doubling, I can't think how else you get 60 fps out of material shot at 24-30 fps.  The only reason a camera shoots at a higher frame rate usually is so you can slow it down.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

60fps video appears smoother, more akin to real life than the 30fps typical of TV, or the 24fps used in movies. Some people may actually prefer the look of 24 or 30fps.

I remember my very first experience with HDTV... I did not like it. Felt very different, and was hard to get into movies because they felt too real. Weird, eh?

• Reply 5 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Film-based sources should be 24 fps. Video can be shot at a choice of frame rates. Sometimes higher frame rates are not desired or enjoyable.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Probably good for sports. Does the bandwidth requirement gets doubled?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Kyne said:
    That was my thought too.

I know the Hobbit trilogy was shot at 48fps…

MacPro is probably right about Marketing. It's like the $1000 audiophile Ethernet cables.  :p