Apple tops list of most 'intimate' brands among millennials

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has claimed the top spot among millennials in a survey designed to discover the most "intimate" brands, according to marketing firm MBLM.

Disney, YouTube, Target, Amazon, Nintendo, Google, Xbox, Netflix, and Whole Foods filled out the top 10, MBLM said. Last year Disney, Amazon, and Netflix took the podium positions.

The data is based on emotional reactions, analyzing "the responses of 6,000 consumers and 54,000 brand evaluations across 15 industries in the U.S., Mexico and U.A.E." MBLM didn't elaborate on Apple's ranking, as it only plans to issue its full report on March 13.

Apple also claimed first place among people aged 18 to 24. There the brand mix was slightly different, with the rest of that top 10 including Amazon, YouTube, PlayStation, Starbucks, Nintendo, Google, Netflix, Coca Cola, and Walmart.

Since the heyday of the iPod, Apple has regularly tried to position itself as a youth brand, using high-energy advertising while keeping up on trends in movies, TV, and music -- and selling its devices as must-have items.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    You know why feel intimate with our iPhones? Because they force us to feed it every night with electricity, because we need to constantly check that the battery is still full. Because we have to "care" for it so it does not die on us. 
  • Reply 2 of 19
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    sflagel said:
    You know why feel intimate with our iPhones? Because they force us to feed it every night with electricity, because we need to constantly check that the battery is still full. Because we have to "care" for it so it does not die on us. 
    Saying that the ^ ^ ^ statement is a gross misunderstanding of how customer-product psychology works, would be a huge understatement. It reminds me of an average 20 year old discussing social issues. Plain, simple....and dead wrong.
    While that opinion might be sarcastic, companies like Samsung listen to such opinions, taking them as real and true. They even tried to increase battery size beyond the capability of the tech, shooting themselves in the foot in the process, while still not making their products more appealing. And that is top tier devices we are talking about.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    If they had asked me I would have replied "What the @&;%!!## do you mean by 'intimate'". "The data is based on emotional reactions, analyzing "the responses of 6,000 consumers and 54,000 brand evaluations across 15 industries in the U.S., Mexico and U.A.E." So then it's meaningless. They asked some vague questions and then distill the answers to come up with some digested pablum. Then put out a "report" to get web hits.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    DAalseth said:
    If they had asked me I would have replied "What the @&;%!!## do you mean by 'intimate'". "The data is based on emotional reactions, analyzing "the responses of 6,000 consumers and 54,000 brand evaluations across 15 industries in the U.S., Mexico and U.A.E." So then it's meaningless. They asked some vague questions and then distill the answers to come up with some digested pablum. Then put out a "report" to get web hits.
    From the linked press release: "Brand Intimacy is defined as a new paradigm that leverages and strengthens the emotional bonds between a person and a brand."

I'd be willing to bet that the respondents to the survey never saw or heard the word "intimacy" in any of the questions.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Since Mr. Cook doesn't like the term "wearables," maybe they should refer to Watch as "ultimately intimate," "simply unmentionable," or, maybe, "bearables."
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    From the linked press release: "Brand Intimacy is defined as a new paradigm that leverages and strengthens the emotional bonds between a person and a brand."

All that says is they know how to strung together jargon and business-speak.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    sflagel said:
    Are you saying that the iPhone is today's Tamagotchi?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Laugh all you want to, stick your nose up at such drivel as emotional attachment to a brand, denigrate those who don’t think like you. Spout your superior objectivity about how you use only specs to evaluate a product as a testament to your all knowing tech godhood. In the real world this kind of data is invaluable to a company’s success or failure. How many products that were deemed superior by the tech crowd failed in the marketplace? Apple has spent decades cultivating customer loyalty and emotional attachment to the brand and it has paid off handsomely for them. It doesn’t matter if you think Siri sucks or the HomePod is a piece of junk.

I remember not too long ago the talking point that Apple had lost the youth market, that Apple was no longer cool and young people would be abandoning the brand in droves. Didn’t happen did it, no matter how condescending those Samsung ads are.

So all you snickerers go right on snickering about Apple’s customers, especially @Sflagel
    edited March 2018 king editor the gratejony0watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    Laugh all you want to, stick your nose up at such drivel as emotional attachment to a brand, denigrate those who don’t think like you. Spout your superior objectivity about how you use only specs to evaluate a product as a testament to your all knowing tech godhood. In the real world this kind of data is invaluable to a company’s success or failure. How many products that were deemed superior by the tech crowd failed in the marketplace? Apple has spent decades cultivating customer loyalty and emotional attachment to the brand and it has paid off handsomely for them. It doesn’t matter if you think Siri sucks or the HomePod is a piece of junk.

I remember not too long ago the talking point that Apple had lost the youth market, that Apple was no longer cool and young people would be abandoning the brand in droves. Didn’t happen did it, no matter how condescending those Samsung ads are.

So all you snickerers go right on snickering about Apple’s customers, especially @Sflagel
    You’re absolutely right, and you only have to look at Apple’s advertising strategy to see that they believe it too. 

If you can build an emotional attachment between your product and your customer then you’ve won. Simple as that. 

This is so obvious I’m surprised it needs pointing out. 
    edited March 2018 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    GG1 said:
    sflagel said:
    Are you saying that the iPhone is today's Tamagotchi?
    Yes, they use Tamagotchi psychology and use it to strengthen our relationship with the phone. You love what you care for.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 11 of 19
    lkrupp said:

I am not snickering about Apple customers. I am stating a hypothesis about one psychological trick Apple uses, I am convinced, to make us feel close to our phones. But I may be wrong.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    DAalseth said:
    Your own sentence is pablum , make a case because right now your response is more tripe than facts.

Anyone who actually ran those surveys and those who pay for it and run marketing based on it, know it actually works.

But, hey, I'll believe you, sure I will...
    watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sflagel said:
    If you're trying to be cute and funny you didn't succeed. Kinda getting tired of this iPhone battery sucks thing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    macxpress said:
    sflagel said:
    If you're trying to be cute and funny you didn't succeed. Kinda getting tired of this iPhone battery sucks thing. 
    I am serious. I don't think the battery sucks. I think there is a reason it lasts just about one day, maybe a day and a half, but NEVER two days. That also explains why their extra battery pack is so ugly, they want only people that REALLY need more battery to get one. 
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 15 of 19
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    sflagel said:
    macxpress said:
    sflagel said:
    I am serious. I don't think the battery sucks. I think there is a reason it lasts just about one day, maybe a day and a half, but NEVER two days. That also explains why their extra battery pack is so ugly, they want only people that REALLY need more battery to get one. 
    Computation takes energy. If you’d been around since the early days of computing, as some of us have, you would realize that the computational power you can hold in your hand is nothing short of astonishing. The first couple computers I owned had big AC power bricks that used to get so hot I was afraid my house would burn down. An iPhone 7 would smoke those old machines in every CPU test you could think of. Do a little reading about it and realize how lucky we are to have this technology. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    sflagel said:
    lkrupp said:

I am not snickering about Apple customers. I am stating a hypothesis about one psychological trick Apple uses, I am convinced, to make us feel close to our phones. But I may be wrong.
    Wait — so now having to charge our smallish-capacity smartphones is an Apple-specific “psychological trick”? What the fuck?

Yeah, you wrong. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    "Apple tops list of most 'intimate' brands among millennials" Vibrator advantage due to the Taptic Engine?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Hmm may be they are having sex with it lol. Now that would be weird.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    hexclock said:
    sflagel said:
    macxpress said:
    sflagel said:
    Computation takes energy. If you’d been around since the early days of computing, as some of us have, you would realize that the computational power you can hold in your hand is nothing short of astonishing. The first couple computers I owned had big AC power bricks that used to get so hot I was afraid my house would burn down. An iPhone 7 would smoke those old machines in every CPU test you could think of. Do a little reading about it and realize how lucky we are to have this technology. 
    Why don't you do a little reading: " I don't think the battery sucks."