Apple stock price sets new post-split record closing at $179.98

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited March 2018
Apple's share price has closed at a new all-time high, ending the trading day at $179.98, exceeding the previous record closing price of $179.26 but narrowly missing the elusive $180 milestone.

Apple started the day on NASDAQ at $177.96, quickly climbing to $179 by 11:11am, then hovered between $179.20 and $179.50 for most of the day. From 2pm, the price edged closer to $180, briefly hitting the figure before falling backwards, then rising back up to its finishing price.

The highest AAPL traded for the day was $179.98, achieved in the hour before markets closed.

The setting of a new record follows less than two weeks after stock activity suggested it would break $180 at market close, but ultimately failed. The price briefly rose over $180 in February during the day, but ending February 26 at $178.97, before dipping to $175 three days later.

The previous time Apple got close to the $180 figure was in January this year, when the stock closed at just over $179 on January 17, before dipping below $179 again two days later. Since then, Apple's stock price briefly dipped down to $155.15 on February 8, but had been steadily climbing back up for the rest of the month.

The major gains at the end of February could be partly attributed to legendary investor Warren Buffet's appearance on CNBC's "Squawk Box", where he explained why Berkshire Hathaway increased its investment in Apple earlier in February. The transaction raised the investment firm's stake by 23.3 percent to 165.3 million shares.

During the appearance, Buffet called the iPhone "a very sticky product," noting Apple's strong ecosystem had the ability to lock in customers "at least psychologically and mentally" to its products and services. Buffet also revealed the firm had bought more Apple stock than it has for any other company over the last year.

The stock peak also arrives after Apple revealed it had achieved record revenue of $88.3 billion and earnings per share of $3.89 in its latest quarterly results. While iPhone sales were down year-on-year by 1.2 percent, iPhone-derived revenues were far higher than Wall Street predicted, due to the increase of the average selling price in the quarter to $796.42.

Wall Street is also likely to be pleased with Apple's plans to shrink its cash balance from $285 billion down to nothing, as confirmed by Apple Chief Financial Officer Luca Maestri during the results conference call. While not going into specifics, Maestri hinted at potential increases to dividends and stock buybacks, but is expected to provide more detailed plans for the cash hoard in the coming months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Appropriate photo.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 2 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Poor Sog. He sold off all of his vast Apple stock holdings too soon.
    radarthekatanton zuykovronnSpamSandwichjony0muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 29
    The odds are pretty much in favor of Amazon reaching a $1T market cap long before Apple. Tim Cook is doing OK, but Jeff Bezos is playing to win and that's probably more important to big investors. Apple will be up today but down tomorrow whereas Amazon's share price will continue to climb every day without fail with no negatives surrounding the company.

Apple has the profits and is sitting on around $150B (less debt) and it means absolutely nothing to Wall Street. Amazon has all the momentum and a CEO who wants to absolutely crush the competition. Apple seems tame in comparison. I don't think Tim Cook even cares if Apple reaches a $1T market cap. It's likely a CEO has to own the company to care about such things. Apple will never be worth what Amazon is. Jeff Bezos has no match in terms of sheer greed and is being wholly backed by investors with nearly as much greed. In those terms, Apple has already lost.

Apple only needs about $80B or so to reach that elusive $1T mark but will take forever to get there. Amazon can gain that much value in a couple of weeks. Apple shareholders should simply settle for higher dividends and little else. There doesn't appear to be any significant share gains coming to loyal Apple shareholders.  Apple is playing it very conservatively in terms of revenue growth.  No large acquisitions will take place.  It's all going to be done with slightly increased dividends and share buy-backs.  As far as Wall Street is concerned, that's about the most boring thing possible to greedy big investors.  Apple will remain stuck trying to sell more iPhones in a saturated smartphone market.  Absolutely no one wants to hear about $1000 smartphones and I understand that's more than most consumers are willing to pay.  I would think it would be very difficult for Apple to convince consumers to pay that much for a smartphone.  I guess Apple doesn't see it that way.

To me, it makes more sense for Apple to pursue other businesses to increase revenue.  Apple should have acquired a cloud business like all the other major tech companies did but they totally missed that chance.  The "cloud" was easy, low-hanging fruit early on but now that's also crowded.  I don't have a clue about what Apple should pursue next but smart electric cars seems like a possible solution.  Amazon can get into anything with Wall Street's blessing, but things don't work that way for Apple.  Whatever Apple tries will be met with doubts and fears and investors dumping the stock by the truckload.

Anyway, I've been prepared for Amazon easily passing Apple in overall value.  Nothing can stop that from happening.  Apple has already lost the market cap crown in investor mindset.  The reality will take place before 2018 ends.  For Jeff Bezos it was like taking candy from a baby.
    edited March 2018 patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 29
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    Yeah, I always got a good laugh reading his market analysis. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 29
    The odds are pretty much in favor of Amazon reaching a $1T market cap long before Apple. Tim Cook is doing OK, but Jeff Bezos is playing to win and that's probably more important to big investors. Apple will be up today but down tomorrow whereas Amazon's share price will continue to climb every day without fail with no negatives surrounding the company.

Apple has the profits and is sitting on around $150B (less debt) and it means absolutely nothing to Wall Street. Amazon has all the momentum and a CEO who wants to absolutely crush the competition. Apple seems tame in comparison. I don't think Tim Cook even cares if Apple reaches a $1T market cap. It's likely a CEO has to own the company to care about such things. Apple will never be worth what Amazon is. Jeff Bezos has no match in terms of sheer greed and is being wholly backed by investors with nearly as much greed. In those terms, Apple has already lost.

Apple only needs about $80B or so to reach that elusive $1T mark but will take forever to get there. Amazon can gain that much value in a couple of weeks. Apple shareholders should simply settle for higher dividends and little else. There doesn't appear to be any significant share gains coming to loyal Apple shareholders.  Apple is playing it very conservatively in terms of revenue growth.  No large acquisitions will take place.  It's all going to be done with slightly increased dividends and share buy-backs.  As far as Wall Street is concerned, that's about the most boring thing possible to greedy big investors.  Apple will remain stuck trying to sell more iPhones in a saturated smartphone market.  Absolutely no one wants to hear about $1000 smartphones and I understand that's more than most consumers are willing to pay.  I would think it would be very difficult for Apple to convince consumers to pay that much for a smartphone.  I guess Apple doesn't see it that way.

To me, it makes more sense for Apple to pursue other businesses to increase revenue.  Apple should have acquired a cloud business like all the other major tech companies did but they totally missed that chance.  The "cloud" was easy, low-hanging fruit early on but now that's also crowded.  I don't have a clue about what Apple should pursue next but smart electric cars seems like a possible solution.  Amazon can get into anything with Wall Street's blessing, but things don't work that way for Apple.  Whatever Apple tries will be met with doubts and fears and investors dumping the stock by the truckload.

Anyway, I've been prepared for Amazon easily passing Apple in overall value.  Nothing can stop that from happening.  Apple has already lost the market cap crown in investor mindset.  The reality will take place before 2018 ends.  For Jeff Bezos it was like taking candy from a baby.
    Nah, Apple should not have gotten into the cloud hosting business. That’s so far from their core business and profit drivers and goals. Just because other (non-product) tech companies do a thing doesn’t mean Apple should have done that thing. 

As for stock price, managing to maximize the stock price is known as “the dumbest idea in the world” — akin to an NFL coach coaching to his fantasy league stats instead of, you know, winning today’s game. Managing to “delight the customer” is how Apple rolls. One’s failure to understand the difference between these strategies makes Apple a poor investment choice. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2011/11/28/maximizing-shareholder-value-the-dumbest-idea-in-the-world/

Lastly, it’s unlikely Apple will be “stuck” trying to sell iphones (and find DOOM). Apple has been in the game for over forty years and manages to keep finding the new sexy. Remember when people were “concerned” over PC commoditizing the computer business? Yet Apple’s still here. Oops. 

edited March 2018 radarthekatronnMacPro
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

Apple is retiring shares. Amazon is not. Wall Street will do what Wall Street will do.

That's pretty much the alpha and omega of the story.
    radarthekatronnSpamSandwich2old4funMacProchasmjony0bshank
  • Reply 7 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Wrong. There’s a HUGE negative hiding in the bushes around Amazon. The Federal Government has started to look sideways at Amazon as they approach true monopoly status. Amazon’s business practices have destroyed many competitors. Anti-trust is the 800 pound gorilla waiting in the wings for Amazon. So go pound salt.
    edited March 2018 jmey267radarthekatgregg thurmanronnLukeCagebshank
  • Reply 8 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Who really cares who reaches $1 T cap first...its not a pissing match. Apple is doing just fine and if all they focus on is being a $1 T company then they're in trouble. If it happens then it happens, if it doesn't then it doesn't. 
    StrangeDayspatchythepirategregg thurmantrashman69ronn2old4funMacProchasmbshank
  • Reply 9 of 29
    macxpress said:
    Who really cares who reaches $1 T cap first...its not a pissing match. Apple is doing just fine and if all they focus on is being a $1 T company then they're in trouble. If it happens then it happens, if it doesn't then it doesn't. 
    Yep. Profit is the air corporations breathe. Not market cap, not market share.
    radarthekatgregg thurmanronnSpamSandwichMacProbshank
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Apple only needs about $80B or so to reach that elusive $1T mark but will take forever to get there. Amazon can gain that much value in a couple of weeks. 
    OK, if I have this straight, you’re saying that at Amazon’s current market cap of 764B they will hit 1T in about 6 weeks, adding approximately 33% to their cap in that time. Right?
    radarthekatanton zuykovronnSpamSandwich2old4fun
  • Reply 11 of 29
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Apple should have gotten into the cloud business?

Apple is in the cloud business!  It’s got huge data centers and 1.3 billion customers to prove that.

oh, and Apple makes more revenue and profit on Apple Watch than Amazon does on AWS.  And yet I don’t hear these Monday morning quarterbacks suggesting Amazon should have gotten into the smartwatch business.  ߘ⦡mp;nbsp;
    edited March 2018 StrangeDaysronnLukeCage2old4funjax44
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Apple only needs about $80B or so to reach that elusive $1T mark but will take forever to get there. Amazon can gain that much value in a couple of weeks. 
    OK, if I have this straight, you’re saying that at Amazon’s current market cap of 764B they will hit 1T in about 6 weeks, adding approximately 33% to their cap in that time. Right?
    Don't try to find any supportable logic in his statements, Apple trolls prefer wilds statements to facts.
    StrangeDaysronnMacPro
  • Reply 13 of 29

Apple should have gotten into the cloud business?

Apple is in the cloud business!  It’s got huge data centers and 1.3 billion customers to prove that.

oh, and Apple makes more revenue and profit on Apple Watch than Amazon does on AWS.  And yet I don’t hear these Monday morning quarterbacks suggesting Amazon should have gotten into the smartwatch business.  ߘ⦡mp;nbsp;
    A close examination of Amazon's 10Q reveals that nearly all of its profits are derived from AWS.  As a retailer Amazon is a failure.  NOBODY, without some outside revenue surveys for long of zero profits.  Amazon has survived as long as it has through debt financing, equity financing and AWS.

Also, Amazon's future is at risk, as more and more big box retailers are transforming to online sales fulfillment centers, with each brick and mortar store becoming a local warehouse with 4-48 hour delivery.
    ronn
  • Reply 14 of 29
    "NOBODY, without some outside revenue surveys for long of zero profits.  Amazon has survived as long as it has through debt financing, equity financing and AWS."

Should have read: "NOBODY, without some outside revenue, SURVIVES for long ON zero profits.  Amazon has survived as long as it has through debt financing, equity financing and AWS."
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    And he's gone from this page...lol. I actually sold 300 shares of mine at $180 again today. I bought them 2 days ago at $175. ~$1500 gain in 2 days...happy! I bet AAPL will rise above $180 on Monday and will cool down during the day. If people want to play short, sell in the morning and buy back in the afternoon.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Bezos dickrider to the fullest.
    bshank
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Who here thinks apple will double its quarterly dividend next month?

after crunching the numbers - it seems like the right thing for them to do.  
  • Reply 18 of 29
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member

Whatever retail dominance that Jeff wins in the U.S., he likely will end up hurting himself in the the EU, and along with certain other countries that have tougher regulations than the U.S. 
    ronn
  • Reply 19 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I must admit we fell for the troll’s trap. It came in here and shit a giant turd on the floor and we all stood around, pointed at it and smelled it. Shame on us. We even included the entire troll in our responses. Shame on us.
    edited March 2018 ronnMacProbshank
  • Reply 20 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The odds are pretty much in favor of Amazon reaching a $1T market cap long before Apple. Tim Cook is doing OK, but Jeff Bezos is playing to win and that's probably more important to big investors.
    The odds are in Amazon's favor, because we're talking about a publicly traded company and the two tech companies on opposite ends of oddball investor spectrum, but Tim Cook is doing an amazing job.
    2old4funbshank