Editorial: The mysterious curse of iPhone 6, lifted with... the headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    erwan said:
    Hi, I don’t come to AppleInsider to read brainwashed articles or bogus cult thoughts but to get real news or insights. Maybe that was my last, I’ll stick to other sources. 
    This article was clearly labeled an Editorial so the onus is on you to do some level of filtering. They did what they could, some part is up to you. 
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowchiawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 42 of 79
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    My 6+ had headphone port problem that it thought there’s the plug inserted, so it gave me no sound. I played around by poking the port with a thumb pin and somehow it worked. I never inserted the headphone to that phone again after and traded in for 7+. I’m glad that Apple got rid of 3.5mm port. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 79
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    renard98 said:
    Everything about dropping the headphone jack is a hassle. They tell me to get Bluetooth headphones and it’s a hassle to keep them charged—it’s enough work keeping the iPhone charged. They tell me to use the free adapter.... long lost—Along with three other expensive adapters that would allow me to listen and charge at the same time—another problem created with dropping the headphone adapter. They say that I should thank Apple because now my iPhone is more water resistant. Well thanks but I’ve managed to keep my phone out of the drink all these years. 
    I used to love the iPhone and upgraded every year. Not this year. I rolled my eyes and figured that I prefer an iPhone that I hate that is half paid off than another one I’d hate that have 2 years of payments. I’d like to switch away from the expensive hassle that the iPhone has become but I’m a slave to iTunes .... the apps and music I’ve purchased over the years .... iTunes— I just can’t seem to quit you. So I’ll guess I’ll just keep this 7plus until it dies .... I’ll save a boatload of money not upgrading every year as in the past. 
    For me wires are a hassle, so much so that I’m switching to all but a few headphones to wireless. Those that do have wires, you know, the ones that get tangled by just looking at them, have a $9 Lightning to headphone adapter permanently affixed to the end.

Btw, one of the biggest selling points of the HomePod I bought is that I didn’t have to run any speaker wires to get it to work. Yeah, I know, the power cord, but that’s easier that stringing wires for speakers, IMHO. 

As as far as your 7+, that’s a great iPhone.  That ought to last 5+ years, probably more since you don’t drop it in water :-) Maybe by then there’ll be something that Apple will have that entices you again. 
    JWSCmac_128watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 79
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Oh... so that wasn’t a political article?... come on man. Keep the politics out of your non-political articles. You know why you used that image. No one comes here for that. 
    That image was the only good thing about this article.
    baconstangaylkbrakken
  • Reply 45 of 79
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    larrya said:
    This long, rambling article turns out to be just another rationalization for headphone jack removal?  Thanks for wasting my time promoting an excuse (reliability) that even Apple didn’t use (they mentioned it was a dinosaur, space, and waterproofing) in a debate that ended a year ago. It seems DED also thinks the bending problem is still debatable even with the hindsight that Apple strengthened the case for the 6s.  

A lot of what Daniel writes about the marketplace, tech journalism, and paid studies seem right on the money, but his inability to see any flaws in Apple whatsoever destroys his credibility. 
    Daniel often comes back around on a subject a couple years later to provide historical perspective.  As for not seeing Apple’s flaws, I’d say this article provides ample examples that illustrate that many others (Verge, et al) often see too many flaws; flaws that aren’t there.  I can sympathize with Daniel; in my own 26 year career in the software business in every role from tech support up to designer to VP Prod Dev and company cofounder, it became a tired refrain, “I hate being correct about something two years before everyone agrees.”  Those of us who design the stuff often grok it long before the pundits and prognosticators.  
    Funny. I can't wait until everyone else gets to where I've been from moment one of iOS 7: Apple's current software design ideology sucks. Educated designers have been there with me since moment one of iOS 7 as well, but who cares about their opinions, right? Expertise is dead.

Thing is, this rambling screed didn't bother to address the obvious and well-documented failings of Apple's device cables. The plugs have insufficient surface area for gripping and no strain relief (same with their desktop USB cables). I've never had to replace self-destructing cables for any device other than Apple products. So now that they've removed the headphone socket on iPhone, the lightning port and plug will receive ALL the abuse. Anyone paying attention to this yet?

I'd be happy to be free of the noise of rotating analog connectors, but this article paid no attention to practical matters like that; it obsessed over defending Apple to almost as irrational a degree as claimed about Apple's detractors. It's also factually incorrect in places, as noted by commentators.

This article was a huge waste of time and is only of interest to people who irrationally hate any and all criticism of Apple.
    avon b7baconstangaylk
  • Reply 46 of 79
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    dysamoria said:
    larrya said:
    This long, rambling article turns out to be just another rationalization for headphone jack removal?  Thanks for wasting my time promoting an excuse (reliability) that even Apple didn’t use (they mentioned it was a dinosaur, space, and waterproofing) in a debate that ended a year ago. It seems DED also thinks the bending problem is still debatable even with the hindsight that Apple strengthened the case for the 6s.  

A lot of what Daniel writes about the marketplace, tech journalism, and paid studies seem right on the money, but his inability to see any flaws in Apple whatsoever destroys his credibility. 
    Daniel often comes back around on a subject a couple years later to provide historical perspective.  As for not seeing Apple’s flaws, I’d say this article provides ample examples that illustrate that many others (Verge, et al) often see too many flaws; flaws that aren’t there.  I can sympathize with Daniel; in my own 26 year career in the software business in every role from tech support up to designer to VP Prod Dev and company cofounder, it became a tired refrain, “I hate being correct about something two years before everyone agrees.”  Those of us who design the stuff often grok it long before the pundits and prognosticators.  
    Funny. I can't wait until everyone else gets to where I've been from moment one of iOS 7: Apple's current software design ideology sucks. Educated designers have been there with me since moment one of iOS 7 as well, but who cares about their opinions, right? Expertise is dead.

Thing is, this rambling screed didn't bother to address the obvious and well-documented failings of Apple's device cables. The plugs have insufficient surface area for gripping and no strain relief (same with their desktop USB cables). I've never had to replace self-destructing cables for any device other than Apple products. So now that they've removed the headphone socket on iPhone, the lightning port and plug will receive ALL the abuse. Anyone paying attention to this yet?

I'd be happy to be free of the noise of rotating analog connectors, but this article paid no attention to practical matters like that; it obsessed over defending Apple to almost as irrational a degree as claimed about Apple's detractors. It's also factually incorrect in places, as noted by commentators.

This article was a huge waste of time and is only of interest to people who irrationally hate any and all criticism of Apple.
    I felt iOS 7 took a page or two right out of Tufte’s minimalist information presentation ethic.  But to each his own.

As to the speed bumps people bring up with respect to dropping the headphone jack, I get it.  There’s going to be a period of turmoil when replacing a legacy technology that’s been in place for many decades.  Headphone jacks predate even computers themselves.  Their time had come, and Apple pushed forward a bit before wireless tech had been completely perfected.  But here we are, almost there with most issues resolved; issues that would still be pending and pushed off to some future time had Apple not taken the initiative.  
    SoliJWSCbb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dysamoria said:
    larrya said:

I felt iOS 7 took a page or two right out of Tufte’s minimalist information presentation ethic.  But to each his own.

As to the speed bumps people bring up with respect to dropping the headphone jack, I get it.  There’s going to be a period of turmoil when replacing a legacy technology that’s been in place for many decades.  Headphone jacks predate even computers themselves.  Their time had come, and Apple pushed forward a bit before wireless tech had been completely perfected.  But here we are, almost there with most issues resolved; issues that would still be pending and pushed off to some future time had Apple not taken the initiative.  
    1) iOS 7 finally cleaned up all that nonsense they had been baking into iOS since iOS 1.0. That whole design is just awful when I see old pics of it.

2) Of all the HW Apple has removed this has been the least problematic since their device came with both Lightning headphones and a Lightning adapter. The argument that "now I can't charge my phone and listen to music with my wired headphones at the same time" is tired and weak.
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 79
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    What would be a good article would be an adapter comparison that looked at providing full functionality to third party earphones: mic, volume, pause, skip forward and back etc.
    Also look at which adapter has a better DA converter too sound wise.  

Some people might want better sound than stock EarPods, but still want the functionality.  Anyone know of any good reviews/comparisons?
    edited March 2018 baconstang
  • Reply 49 of 79
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    renard98 said:
    Everything about dropping the headphone jack is a hassle. They tell me to get Bluetooth headphones and it’s a hassle to keep them charged—it’s enough work keeping the iPhone charged. They tell me to use the free adapter.... long lost—Along with three other expensive adapters that would allow me to listen and charge at the same time—another problem created with dropping the headphone adapter. They say that I should thank Apple because now my iPhone is more water resistant. Well thanks but I’ve managed to keep my phone out of the drink all these years. 
    I used to love the iPhone and upgraded every year. Not this year. I rolled my eyes and figured that I prefer an iPhone that I hate that is half paid off than another one I’d hate that have 2 years of payments. I’d like to switch away from the expensive hassle that the iPhone has become but I’m a slave to iTunes .... the apps and music I’ve purchased over the years .... iTunes— I just can’t seem to quit you. So I’ll guess I’ll just keep this 7plus until it dies .... I’ll save a boatload of money not upgrading every year as in the past. 
    How do you survive at life?
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 79

erwan said:
    Hi, I don’t come to AppleInsider to read brainwashed articles or bogus cult thoughts but to get real news or insights. Maybe that was my last, I’ll stick to other sources. 
    Please do. If you’re too daft to understand what an “editorial” means then you surely won’t ever be contributing to the discussion in any meaningful way. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 51 of 79

DAalseth said:
    Soli said:.

2) BT has been great for many years, but it all depends on the devices. Apple really changed the game with their W1 chip—it's too bad the AirPods are uncomfortable for me. I hope they offer an in-ear or bone conducting option in the future.
    Agreed on the trouble with AirPods. They just don’t work for some of us.
    There are several different styles of W1-equipped headphones besides the AirPods. 
    DAalsethbb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 79
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    1. Apple may consider 2.5mm headphone jack if 3.5mm is too “big”.
    2. Headphone jack can be put at the top right corner, so the extra thickness just balance the odd camera pop-up and make an iPhone perfectly stable on a flat service.
    3. Not listening to customers, like what Microsoft did, would eventually staked them up and wait for the last straw to come. And they’ll go away one day without hesitation.
    pentaebaconstangaylk
  • Reply 53 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ivanh said:
    1. Apple may consider 2.5mm headphone jack if 3.5mm is too “big”.
    2. Headphone jack can be put at the top right corner, so the extra thickness just balance the odd camera pop-up and make an iPhone perfectly stable on a flat service.
    3. Not listening to customers, like what Microsoft did, would eventually staked them up and wait for the last straw to come. And they’ll go away one day without hesitation.
    1) That would've been an option a decade ago but now we've moved past that, but the real issue is still having that archaic, analog port interface at all.
    2) You want to put it where the camera is? You think that the camera bulge has a bunch of extra space? That wouldn't "balance" anything?
    3) They effectively listened to me since I wanted it gone man years before it finally got nixed from their iPhone.
    bb-15pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 79
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    larrya said:

You from the Verge? If you want Apple bashing, that’s where to go. If you want nin-Apple bashing with insight, that’s what Dilger does. It’s called an alternative point if view.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 79
    pentaepentae Posts: 36member
    Hotel rooms, friends cars, friends stereo systems, my bose QC's, all use a headphone jack. These things will all have headphone jacks for the next 5-10 years. Removing the headphone jack was a travesty and i'll never forgive Apple for it until everything is wireless. Carrying around an adapter like I have to for my Macbook is ridiculous. This is just a fact and reading all of you sucking the mega corporations proverbial junk is absolutely baffling.
    aylkbaconstang
  • Reply 56 of 79
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    mike1 said:
    For what it’s worth, I bought a 6 a month after the launch that was problem free until the day I traded it in for an X. 
    I bought my 6 in the month of launch (a few weeks after the queues), and am still using it. The battery needs recharging a bit more frequently, and some apps are a little pokey, but it does everything I need it to do. In all that time, I think I've used headphones about three hours, total, almost all sitting in airplanes. Apple could do away with accommodations for wired headphones entirely and it really wouldn't bother me.
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 79
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    lkrupp said:

neilm said:
    If only someone would find DED a decent editor and proofreader to reduce these rambling, haystack articles to their needle-worth of content.
    How about this? You submit an editorial piece to AppleInsider. Assuming they accept it and publish it let’s see what kind of critiques it gets from the AI ecosystem. I dare you! I double dog dare you! Or are you one of those who claim to know how to get somewhere but can’t drive the car?
    I see both sides here.  The ratio of meat to length in this specific article (IMO) was < 1 but ... I could never do the job of an editor either.
    baconstangsingularity
  • Reply 58 of 79
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    While I never had a reliability issue with either the 30 pin or the 3.5mm ports, I've had lint accumulation problems with the lightning port.
    YMMV I guess.
    aylk
  • Reply 59 of 79
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    yoyo2222 said:
    mike1 said:
    For what it’s worth, I bought a 6 a month after the launch that was problem free until the day I traded it in for an X. 
    Likewise. My old 6 has been passed along first to my wife and then to her sister. It's still running like a champ.
    I agree as well. I sold my iPhone 6 to a co-worker when I got the 6s plus,  and she is still using it everyday with no complaints.  
    bb-15aylk
  • Reply 60 of 79
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    dysamoria said:

I was using an iPhone 5s (then SE) through the release of the iPhone 6 and 6plus.   This article was helpful in that it told me that I was smart not to upgrade.   Besides giving Battery problems DED basically said that it was a bad phone because of the headphone port.   Maybe thats why Apple's planning a big new AppleCare center.  I have a 7plus and 8plus.   While the 8Plus is better than the 7plus, it is only incrementally so. I will be surprised it there is a reason to upgrade in the next 4 years.   I carry  HomePods now (when I remember to grab them) but still wish that Apple kept the headphone jack for when I bring my Bose noise canceling headphones.

aylkbaconstang