Apple Music reaches 38M subscribers, gained 2M in last month

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue provided a brief update on the state of Apple Music on Monday, saying the company's streaming music service now boasts some 38 million subscribers.

Cue revealed the fresh Apple Music figures during an onstage interview at the South by Southwest festival, saying the service recently gained two million new subscribers in a little over one month. Further, another 8 million are currently listening to Apple Music on a trial basis.

Adding color to the hard numbers, Cue said the combined subscriber bases of Apple Music and rival Spotify equate to more than 100 million members.

Last month, Spotify announced plans to go public, and in doing so revealed it has 71 million paying users. In 2017, the service recorded 159 million monthly active users who streamed 40.3 billion hours of content, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filings show.

While 100 million people is a large group, Cue said there is plenty of room to grow. In his talk, the Apple Music chief estimated there to be about two billion people in the world who could be subscribers of Apple Music, Spotify or some other streaming service. Hammering the point home, Cue added that more than half a billion customers access the App Store every week, all of whom are ripe for subscription.

He went on to downplay the numbers game, saying Apple is more concerned about artist royalties. The amount of money artists make through streaming platforms has long been a hot button topic for the music industry, with megastars like Taylor Swift withholding their respective catalogs from services whose terms were deemed unacceptable.

"The real opportunity for music -- and it's not about Spotify or us or the labels, it's about artists -- is how do they get their music to everyone around the world and how do they get compensated for that," Cue said. "We both have to grow by significant amounts in order to get to the numbers which it should."

During his talk with CNN technology reporter Dylan Byers, Cue commented on Apple's recently announced acquisition of digital magazine subscription service Texture. He also dismissed rumors that the company was looking to purchase Netflix, instead saying Apple is "all in" on original content created by its in-house entertainment team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I find Apple Music, along with iTunes Match, to be all I need for my listening experience. I have a sizable library of iTunes purchased music as well as ripped CDs of music that simply isn’t available in the general market (specifically Theatre Pipe Organ Music, The Mighty Wurlitzer and such). iTunes has dutifully uploaded all of my ripped CDs and they are available in iCloud. As such I do not need to store any of my library locally on my iPhone which saves a lot of storage space. Apple Music streaming is perfectly fine for me and I have a lot of albums attached to my library.

i simply don’t get all the griping about Apple Music and iTunes. They just work for me. I also switched to the yearly subscription model. $99/yr is a good deal in my book.
    cornchipchasmlolliverdoozydozenjose_garciawatto_cobrajony0lostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I'm one of those 8 million trial users.  Started mine after purchasing a HomePod (I wonder how many of those trials began with the purchase of a Home Pod).  Love both and will be looking to upload my library to iCloud.
    chasmSpamSandwichlolliverdoozydozenequality72521flashfan207watto_cobrajony0lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 27
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    If Apple made Apple Music more platform agnostic I would give it a go. Probably like a lot of people I use Spotify just because I know it will work everywhere, could easily be convinced to switch, but I don't trust Apple to make my life easy on Apple Music. 

Could say the same about Amazon Music too, but they need to sort their relationship with Google out. 
    edited March 2018 doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    kkqd1337 said:
    If Apple made Apple Music more platform agnostic I would give it a go. Probably like a lot of people I use Spotify just because I know it will work everywhere, could easily be convinced to switch, but I don't trust Apple to make my life easy on Apple Music.  
    It works on iOS with the Music app, Android with its own version of the Music app, plus macOS and Windows with iTunes.

I'm not sure how much more platform agnostic you want.
    kudumacxpresslkruppcornchipchasmted13Rayz2016EsquireCatslolliverdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    kkqd1337 said:
    It works on iOS with the Music app, Android with its own version of the Music app, plus macOS and Windows with iTunes.

I’ve been looking for a web option since day 1. Can’t load iTunes on my work laptop. Still use Pandora at work. 
    doozydozenireland
  • Reply 6 of 27
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    Apple Music rocks! I have a tip that readers might find super useful. And I wonder if this is well known... When I hear a song I like while out and about, I ask Siri to identify the song. About once a week I go to the iTunes Store app, tap on the 3 lines top right, and select Siri. From there I tell Siri to play them and add them to My Library. It’s a great way to grow a collection :) 
    wlymRayz2016lolliverdoozydozenjose_garciaflashfan207watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 27
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    kkqd1337 said:

Its not just OS's. Its all the IOT devices, cars etc and a web app too. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    kkqd1337 said:
    kkqd1337 said:

Web app I will very barely concede -- but what IOT devices? Cars are doable with CarPlay or AirPlay streaming.
    doozydozenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 27
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    kkqd1337 said:

It’s available in all cars that accept CarPlay and Android Auto, or Bluetooth, or (on models with a headphone jack) an AUX port.

Sonos has said its Sonos One will in time work with Apple Music natively, and so will any Bluetooth speaker. Once AirPlay 2 is out, I think a lot of third-party devices will pick up Apple Music compatibility.

IOW, apart from a web app, Apple Music is roughly as compatible with devices as any other service, though Spotify may have an advantage still in terms of “native” (on device) support at present. Web app and more “native“ support would also be great, though. Apple’s clearly playing a long game, and to be fair they have closed 80% of the gap despite having only been around for 2.5 years, compared to Spotify’s 10.
    ted13doozydozenwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 27
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    I find the idea that Spotify is better than Apple Music because “it works everywhere” hilarious. Before Apple Music ever existed I kept wanting to try Spotify, but never did, because it required Adobe Flash to run on the Mac, which I had gotten rid of a long time ago due to security and horrible Flash based web advertising. Now that Flash has officially been discontinued I'm guessing they've finally figured out how to support a Flash free Mac/PC version of Spotify (have they?). So, yes, I ended up getting Apple Music instead of Spotify, because it actually does work everywhere. That and it had a wide music video selection which Spotify didn’t (has that changed?). And to this day Spotify doesn’t support AppleTV (which I use for Apple Music constantly). So no, Spotify doesn’t come remotely close to working “everywhere”
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysjony0techconc
  • Reply 11 of 27
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    ted13 said:
    I find the idea that Spotify is better than Apple Music because “it works everywhere” hilarious. Before Apple Music ever existed I kept wanting to try Spotify, but never did, because it required Adobe Flash to run on the Mac, which I had gotten rid of a long time ago due to security and horrible Flash based web advertising. Now that Flash has officially been discontinued I'm guessing they've finally figured out how to support a Flash free Mac/PC version of Spotify (have they?). So, yes, I ended up getting Apple Music instead of Spotify, because it actually does work everywhere. That and it had a wide music video selection which Spotify didn’t (has that changed?). And to this day Spotify doesn’t support AppleTV (which I use for Apple Music constantly). So no, Spotify doesn’t come remotely close to working “everywhere”
    I know more than one Spotify user who is waiting for Spotify to come to their Series 3 cellular Apple Watch, I doubt they'll wait forever.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I’d be curious to know the demographics of the typical AppleMusic user. I have feeling that it probably skews much older compared to Spotify, and not the coveted 15- 34 segment. For example, not one of my son’s or daughter’s friends (late teens to early 20s) — to whom I’ve pointedly asked the question about AM v. Spotify — uses AM.

You might say that’s just two data points, but between the two of them, I’ve asked more than a dozen kids. Maybe my sample is atypical, but I doubt it.
    doozydozenireland
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    I find Apple Music, along with iTunes Match, to be all I need for my listening experience. I have a sizable library of iTunes purchased music as well as ripped CDs of music that simply isn’t available in the general market (specifically Theatre Pipe Organ Music, The Mighty Wurlitzer and such). iTunes has dutifully uploaded all of my ripped CDs and they are available in iCloud. As such I do not need to store any of my library locally on my iPhone which saves a lot of storage space. Apple Music streaming is perfectly fine for me and I have a lot of albums attached to my library.

i simply don’t get all the griping about Apple Music and iTunes. They just work for me. I also switched to the yearly subscription model. $99/yr is a good deal in my book.
    You have Apple Music and iTunes Match? 

https://www.imore.com/do-i-still-need-itunes-match-if-i-have-apple-music

edited March 2018 doozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Apple will be continue to be compared as a weak contender against Spotify until Apple somehow manages to catch up with Spotify in subscribers. I honestly don't think that's possible. The lure of getting those ad-supported subscribers is really quite tempting to people wanting to use a streaming service. Spotify has such a large headstart and runs on practically every device around. I think Spotify deserves to be at the top for those reasons.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 27
    kkqd1337 said:
    kkqd1337 said:

Web app I will very barely concede -- but what IOT devices? Cars are doable with CarPlay or AirPlay streaming.
    I probably wouldn’t concede the web app. I’d rather just use my phone. 
  • Reply 16 of 27
    lkrupp said:

I'm in the same boat. I use iTunes Match for all my CDs and (ahem!) concert recordings and use Apple Music along with it for sampling new music or albums I wanted to hear, but didn't have the income to buy.

I am now re-ripping my CDs to ALAC in preparation for the HomePod.

doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    I’d be curious to know the demographics of the typical AppleMusic user. I have feeling that it probably skews much older compared to Spotify, and not the coveted 15- 34 segment. For example, not one of my son’s or daughter’s friends (late teens to early 20s) — to whom I’ve pointedly asked the question about AM v. Spotify — uses AM.

You might say that’s just two data points, but between the two of them, I’ve asked more than a dozen kids. Maybe my sample is atypical, but I doubt it.

I'm just spit-balling here, but I think a portion of Apple Music subscribers exist simply because Spotify wasn't an option. Spotify or Pandora didn't launch in India, so I jumped onto Apple Music the moment it launched.

I don't think there may be many converts from Spotify to Apple Music, simply because people are comfortable with familiar things. If I'm used to Spotify, I'd stick to it.

Did your kids subscribe to Spotify before Apple Music launched?

Many people feel that Spotify has better algorithms for recommendations and a better UI than Apple Music, but while that may be true to some extent, I think most of it is because the people have used Spotify longer.

It's just like how I'm always lost when handed an Android phone - I don't want to put the effort to learn how to use it.

doozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 27

Interesting thought. Being a senior in High School, I have a glimpse into what it’s like. Most if not all of my classmates use Apple Music. They all tend to use family plans in which they add 6 people and split the cost down to $2.50 each. One has to pay the full $15 off monthly, obviously the most responsible. Spotify is not as popular as it was in my HS as before.
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 19 of 27
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    ted13 said:
    Are you aware that George W. Bush is no longer president of the US?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Apple will be continue to be compared as a weak contender against Spotify until Apple somehow manages to catch up with Spotify in subscribers. I honestly don't think that's possible. The lure of getting those ad-supported subscribers is really quite tempting to people wanting to use a streaming service. Spotify has such a large headstart and runs on practically every device around. I think Spotify deserves to be at the top for those reasons.
    Once Apple has TV/movie content along with music, and consumption covered by the iPhone, the iPad, the AppleTV and the HomePod, then I think the numbers will tell a different story. 

Spotify may have more subscribers to their music only service, but Apple will be doing a lot more than music. 

It’s all about the bigger picture 
    ted13watto_cobra